Elk water use questions

So I have had 2 separate rather large groups of cows and spikes using a water hole that I have cams up on a extremely consistent basis. This is an either sex tag so I could end up shooting a spike or a cow rather easily but my question is will the branch bulls end up joining up with the cows as the season goes on bar any hunters pushing them out of the area. Or if my goal is a branch bull will I have to start trying to locate the bulls in different locations. It's my first time trying out this stand hunting thing so I am unsure of my location will work for what I would want.

Gerbdog

WKR
Well... i guess a couple things come to mind for me....

Elk need water every day, especially as the rut starts up.
Dont know where your hunting, what environment, and how much rain your getting but the larger bulls could be just as likely to come to those watering holes for water if there isnt much else around

At the beginning of archery, especially pre-september, the bulls are going to be leaving their summer hang out groups and starting to wander around looking for the cows, seeing what other bulls are in the area, etc. (pre-rut time) They are not likely to be with the cows yet unless they are younger bulls still.

As September wears on, and towards the end, the biggest bulls will have their cows together, and the smaller bulls will be around that herd as satellites.

Sorry if this is too basic of info your looking for.

Yes, eventually the bulls will be coming to those cows you found, and hopefully those cows stay around as you said and keep using those watering holes.

OP
Oregonbred
Well... i guess a couple things come to mind for me....

Elk need water every day, especially as the rut starts up.
Dont know where your hunting, what environment, and how much rain your getting but the larger bulls could be just as likely to come to those watering holes for water if there isnt much else around

At the beginning of archery, especially pre-september, the bulls are going to be leaving their summer hang out groups and starting to wander around looking for the cows, seeing what other bulls are in the area, etc. (pre-rut time) They are not likely to be with the cows yet unless they are younger bulls still.

As September wears on, and towards the end, the biggest bulls will have their cows together, and the smaller bulls will be around that herd as satellites.

Sorry if this is too basic of info your looking for.

Yes, eventually the bulls will be coming to those cows you found, and hopefully those cows stay around as you said and keep using those watering holes.
Thanks I Appreciate it. Here's to hoping I can keep them around.

So I have had 2 separate rather large groups of cows and spikes using a water hole that I have cams up on a extremely consistent basis. This is an either sex tag so I could end up shooting a spike or a cow rather easily but my question is will the branch bulls end up joining up with the cows as the season goes on bar any hunters pushing them out of the area. Or if my goal is a branch bull will I have to start trying to locate the bulls in different locations. It's my first time trying out this stand hunting thing so I am unsure of my location will work for what I would want.
I would definitely have other areas picked out to hunt. If you put all your eggs in 1 basket, you may be in for a very long and uneventful hunt. Or you could get lucky and kill one opening day. Good luck

OP
Oregonbred
I would definitely have other areas picked out to hunt. If you put all your eggs in 1 basket, you may be in for a very long and uneventful hunt. Or you could get lucky and kill one opening day. Good luck
Oh I have other areas that I can hunt the more traditional way On the ground, I was just wondering if I should look for other areas to set a stand or blind up at because of me wanting a more mature bull. Thanks for the suggestion though.

You're seeing what I call a "Nursery Group" and the "bulls" are off doing their own thing right now. You hit the jackpot if you're after a cow as you can be very selective when they come in.......i.e. 2 year old no calf.

In my experience two things will most likely happen.

- Hunters will show up, and change everything
- In the next few days, decent bulls will show up. Depending on the area, you may be surprised at what shows up. I've found bigger bulls latch on earlier the higher you are for whatever reason here in CO.

OP
Oregonbred
You're seeing what I call a "Nursery Group" and the "bulls" are off doing their own thing right now. You hit the jackpot if you're after a cow as you can be very selective when they come in.......i.e. 2 year old no calfs.

In my experience two things will most likely happen.

- Hunters will show up, and change everything
- In the next few days, decent bulls will show up. Depending on the area, you may be surprised at what shows up.
Very little hunting pressure in this area So I hope that I can keep their presence.

Worst case scenario I have some more remote and rugged area which I know holds elk aswell granted in much smaller numbers big bucks back in there aswell. We will see should be fun.

If I remember to I'll post what ends up happening in here.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I rarely see a large group of cows come to water without at least a mid-sized bull around the first of Sept. I would be willing to bet that a bull will join them any time now. It is entirely possible that a good bull will show up IMO.

Get a stand up. Get a second stand up. Check the wind and pick one. Hunt it the first 3 days then reevaluate. In my experience elk mosey on to a new location every so many days so it sounds like the sooner you can hunt it the better. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

OP
Oregonbred
Well I didn't end up using the stand but my grandfather did and he ended up getting into a few elk and missing them. Worked well though even if I have no critters to show for it.