Elk Workouts

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the opposite question. How do you guys continue to do normal gym stuff during elk season? I don’t want to do back, arms, or legs when that could mess up my hunt after I’ve invested so much time and energy in finding an elk. I’ve just been doing cardio chest and core for the last 3 weeks.

About a month out from season I revert from my regular 5/3/1 routine to a higher rep/lower weight (60-70% of 1RM), still concentrating on deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press

About two months out I slowly add weight to a pack when I'm out for my daily hikes, will carry a weighted pack every other day. I eventually get the pack weight to a 60 lb sandbag and call it good. Same injury concerns with too heavy of a pack and too heavy of a bar at the gym.

I've never had too much issue with a 100 lb pack out during the season :D

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Can't go wrong with much being said. Like the expert said, do something you like. One other reply mentioned something I never thought of, before my first horseback hunt for Elk. The MENTAL SIDE. I was rudely awakened my first time riding a horse up a Colorado mountain in the snowy, icy, pitch black at 4:00AM. Trusting the horse climbing up crazy slopes and gaining over 2000FT, was eye opening. I loved it!

S.Clancy

WKR
Honestly, it's prob more about mental toughness than physical. Elk hunting sucks for everybody, especially the packout. The gym helps, but you get to go home after the gym, not a wet ass tent. Do some side trips pre-elk season with a high suffer factor. That's my advice.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Take this off season to get strong AF.
Start rucking (uphill and down) in the late spring to build your muscular endurance.
Especially the down! I didn't do as much rucking this year as last but did a bunch of stairmaster workouts. Definately felt the difference on the down hill.