Elk101.... Worth it?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Here ya go boys! I signed up a. Like it. Been on a few elk hunts but wanted to increase my calling knowledge. I also have a good buddy that used it and has killed some nice bulls diy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200207-004106_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200207-004106_Samsung Internet.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 104
1000% YES BUT ONLY IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN AND LEARN. It can be tedious and frustrating at times learning to call, knowing how to respond to a call and not making weird sounds. It's Rosetta Stone for elk. You gotta put in the time and effort.

Yes i purchased it last year and well worth it. Best part is that the app is available offline. So all the reading I did before I went on my first hunt was great. But after we blew an encounter or two, I pulled up the sections I needed and read them and it makes SO much more sense after you're actually out there doing it.

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine thinks it is. I'm thinking about signing up for it. I need as, much knowledge as I can get.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the fence about signing up a few years ago and did not. I really enjoy reading and learning about elk. For those that have used it, is the content geared more to the archery hunter? I am not an archery hunter and really have no intention on using a call, but I'm all for learning more about elk. I am hoping on doing my second elk hunt in 2021 and possibly make it an annual adventure after that so I have a lot of time to read up.

I was on the fence about signing up a few years ago and did not. I really enjoy reading and learning about elk. For those that have used it, is the content geared more to the archery hunter? I am not an archery hunter and really have no intention on using a call, but I'm all for learning more about elk. I am hoping on doing my second elk hunt in 2021 and possibly make it an annual adventure after that so I have a lot of time to read up.

I would say it is a little. There is not any more devotion to "archery vs rifle" as both types of weapons/choice for elk is covered equal in my opinion, but rather the seasons/months/times in the modules are probably a tiny bit more in the favor of archery as there is some extra time devoted towards September IMO. Obviously there are rifle tags in Sept, just a lot harder to draw than archery.

In defense of the course however (I was a little skeptical when I signed up as I had hunted elk for a few years before I did), it was very helpful. Some modules more than others for sure but the modules that I was able to take a lot away from have really changed how I think about hunting, especially from a scouting location. One of the best aspects of the course revolves around how to find elk (all seasons covered). This will get you away from the "find a trailhead and hike" mentality even moreso than you probably realize. It has helped me find elk, specifically where they go when they are pressured. I was able to harvest a great bull this past year in Wyo as a result of this new way of thinking. There is a good amount of elk 101 devoted to later season/late season rifle too.

While the elknut app is mentioned on this thread, something not yet mentioned which has almost been the most beneficial to me, especially from a calling perspective, is Roe Hunting Resources. This is largely calling/scenario based but is packed with info at a reasonable price. I know all of these resources can add up, however I feel its just as important to mention RHR as it is the others. Best of luck.

Hot_Rod51

FNG
The internet has tons of info. What's your time worth? Having all the data in one location, organized the way it is, makes it worth it to me. Even if you don't re-up, a one year membership is def worth the price. Then you factor in the discounts to other entities and it's a no-brainer.

I'm actually going through it right now. It's put together well.

The only thing I wish Corey would do is get rid of the one year membership. I'd gladly pay the 100 straight up w/ no discounts, don't give me any additional discounts on other entities, but let my membership continue past 1 year. Or let me download the material to use on my schedule, even if that's beyond a year. I can buy a textbook at a "real" university and always have the book to reference. Just my 2 cents.

I think Elk101 is a great tool, especially for new hunters. With a little experience under your belt, the ElkNut app is pure gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sbarrera185
Well looks like its settled, I'll go ahead and buy it and learn it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I purchased Elk101 during Coreys Black Friday deal. Overall not bad however, since then I have found myself gravitating towards Randy Newbergs YouTube talk shows and Coreys for that matter.

Corey has several YT videos that cover the material you’d purchase w/i Elk101, not all, but a fair amount.

The Elk101 forum & the FB Page (which requires vetted access) are dead heart beats compared to Rok or Hunttalk.

I did my first ever archery elk hunt last year with my brother. I bought Elk 101 a few weeks before the trip, tried to devour as much of it as I could pre-trip, and listened to the audio tracks on the way out west. It was indispensable for getting us on Elk during our trip - we were unsuccessful, but managed to get into a handful of setups and were within striking distance a few times. I found it hard to find as much quality information about Elk behavior and how to hunt them in any other single source or conglomeration of sources as his "class". Wish I had bought it 6 months sooner and not spent so much time focused on gear for the trip. Get it, read it all, then go back and read the sections covering calling, setups, elk behavior and thermals at least another two times. Could not have spent better money for our trip.

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I signed up a while back. I don’t feel that there is anything there you can’t find for free on the internet but it is compiled in a more easy to consume manner.

I second this. I spent a year or so watching Randy Newberg and Corey Jacobsen YouTube videos before getting Elk101 on a discount. After going through Elk101 I felt like I learned only a handful of things that weren't already out there for free just between these two guys. But if I had started off with Elk101 in the beginning it would have made things a lot easier to understand in a MUCH shorter period of time. I also like having all the content on the app so I can pull it up and read or watch anytime.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Get the ElkNut app. It’s a one time fee and it spells out calling and what the elk are saying.
Helped me out this year. Heard a Bull glunking, knee what it was and how to respond.