ElkNut 7 - Food For Thought!

Beendare

WKR
Option 1 I want to get the herd bull's attention and make him think that I am too close for comfort and I'm there to steal his cows. In this scenario, I'm going to aggressively bugle, rake a tree and move around at that distance and with cover, slowly get a little closer.

Option 2 would be that once I got to within 100 yards I would begin some cow talk and make the bull think that I'm an "interested" cow with her friends. Once I can get the bull to respond to the cow calls I will frequently throw in a whiny spike bugle to make him think that this lonely group of cows are protected by a little guy and will be an easy take over.

Good stuff^

....I've used both strategies....though none have been 100%

And we are all looking for that 100%-er right? /grin

elkguide

WKR
Good stuff^

....I've used both strategies....though none have been 100%

And we are all looking for that 100%-er right? /grin

Who are you trying to fool?

Or maybe,

Have you never hunted elk before?

Those tactics work first time every time!!!!!

Guaranteed!

All of this experience based info is great but until you have "been there _ done that" will you be able to put that in perspective. Tactics that I have been successful with in one state or even one region in one state are not effective in an area a few miles away.

Now do any of you want to discuss talking to the elk in wolf infested areas?

Wrench

WKR
I've seen bulls with cows where 300 is the herd bull with 250-260's messing with them all day. In the same area I've watched a 330+ bull not give a damn about it. I know cows are hot, I can see and smell it.

I don't know if the big dog just had his way already, does it at night or what....but he had no herd and was clearly superior in size.

I feel like he was letting the other bulls wear themselves out and he could walk in without a fight, toss a bone and roll.

Just my guess.

kicker338

WKR
Deep Timber Sounds bugle company owner, has a bunch of vids. on why elk talk and what they mean on you tube. I've ast in on a bunch of his seminars at sporting show's and used his tactics with good results.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Guys, you're welcome!

100% would be great but really unachievable! 90% is another story now! (grin)

Elkguide, let's discuss, I've hunted wolf country ever since their introduction in 1996 I believe. We take bulls every year since then until the present. Gotta love the challenge of wolves on OTC elk hunts!

Wrench, great observation! There's a good chance that bigger bull is all spent! A bull can only deliver so many shots to the cow in estrus. Imagine when several cows are in simultaneously. When a cow reaches breeding time it's common for multiple bulls to breed her during her 12-15 hour cycle, so not only the herd bulls urges are temporarily satisfied but so are several of the satellites Advertising themselves as a breeder bull to the hot cow/cows. The hot cow will now choose the next bull to breed her. This is why it's common for Satellites to be drawn to the herd with the hot cow, a cows airborne Pheromones can drift for a long long ways thus attracting other bulls to her location. These Satellite bulls will stay back a safe distance from the herd bull & bugle to the hot cow/cows wanting to be considered a breeder bull for their efforts!

ElkNut/Paul

AGPank, thanks for your feedback, that's awesome! Just because we call bulls in doesn't mean all will be taken. I can recall 6 different bulls my Son & I called in last year & only one hit the ground. Biggest issue lies in how the shooter setsup & if he can handle a close encounter, most newer guys freeze up, it's part of the fun for sure! (grin) Thanks bud!

Elkguide, thank you! Lots of good points there!

I'll share one thing I strive for when working a bull & it has payed off hugely over the years! This applies to any bull that you can get bugling! Some are slow starters & some will hit you bugle for bugle. Point is; is to put them on the defense! This means do not let them call the shots as the encounter escalates. Most hunters allow the bull to run the show, they only call if the bull calls, the ones that fall into that trap lose a high percentage of bulls. Once I get a bull to bugle or I hear him bugle on his own I will use whatever calling that appeals to that particular bull be it cow calls & bugles or bugles only. I then maneuver my calling until he is answering me not me responding to him. Once I get the tide to turn he's in trouble. -- So, get him on the defense & you'll find way more bulls hit the dirt as opposed to letting the bull run the show! I do this with every bull these days!

ElkNut/Paul

That is a great insight, Paul! Work the bull to where he’s answering you, not the other way around. Proactive instead of reactive. I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaHunter

FNG
Elkguide is right as far as mimicking one for one the bulls bugles. Brought in a monster using this tactic and challenging the bull for over an hour of 7 or so sessions of in your face mimic calling. I'm not saying this works every time but he responded instantly and every time which was the key that time. Then brought in another with what I consider to be not in your face but consistent mimicing. Other times constant and varied multiple cow calls have brought them in. I can't say a varied cadence of cow calling sequences has worked although I've only been at archery elk for 8 or so years..

elkguide

WKR
One other touch I use is when I have a bull worked up from mimicking him and sometimes when I'm in close and the bull is worked up but just won't move, I start cutting him off. Sort of the ultimate in disrespect. When he starts his bugle, before he gets to his second note, I'm starting and if he's been chuckling, I will sometimes go straight to a chuckle.

As has been said, every situation is different and all of this advice is fantastic and yes try it. Sometimes these tactics work just as we've all said and sometimes you'll think, those guys were absolutely nuts!!!!!! You have to have a feel for it and be prepared to shift quickly if you aren't getting the response that you want or the bull is moving away.

Don't you just love elk hunting?!?!

SaHunter

FNG
I'll have tried the disrespect call trick/cadence and that brought in a solid bull. Its different every time like figuring out what long distance relationship gimmic works. I do think think everyone should experience the rut up close and personal (in Sept.)