ElkNut APP - 2019 Updates! Your Thoughts?

ElkNut1

WKR
Hey guys, I am meeting with the the APP Team this Tuesday to discuss New Updates to be added to the App for this year. I know the App has tons of info to date & the only Recording feature around where you can compare your calling to real elk, this is a great way to hone your calling skills!

I know one feature I'm considering is a very detailed description of the Slow Play Breeding Sequence, there's no deadlier Sequence than this to pull bulls your way & I mean those cagey OTC pressured bulls too! It's all about setup & presentation. I'm considering other ideas as well.

Do any here that have the App or thinking about picking it up want to see something added that isn't already on it? Let me know & I'll pass it on & see what we can do. Here's your chance to make it even better. Any thoughts?

I'll pass on the decisions made after Tuesday! Thanks guys!

ElkNut/Paul

If you have the audio files, I would like a game called "elk...or not". Everyone has stories about the hunter that bugled us in, or the crappy sounding bugle that turned out to be a big bull. If there were a way to know for sure what is making that sound down in the bottom, throw that in.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Great idea on the Bull verse Hunter sounds, I'll talk with them about it, thank you!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Slow Play, there's nothing better that can be applied effectively to nearly any elk encounter!

mtnkid85, I assume you do not have the App? Your suggestion is already on the App, or are you referring to something different? There are separate categories for all Bull & Cow sounds, all are defined as to the message being sent by them, then it shares some of the best options to consider when using these sounds are hearing them in the woods. Plus there's tons more on the App at present. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Pgohil

WKR
Paul,

Could we get a button that directly links us in the field to you? It would be great to get your input on each situation....... HAHA! Just kidding.

Thank you for the app, and your unselfish giving of information. As a new elk hunter, I find your methods super helpful. Using your techniques, I was able to call in my first Idaho bull to my buddy. He made a perfect 22 yard shot and it was thanks to your system that it worked out.

Again, thanks.

PGohil
WV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thank you for your feedback sir, very nicely done & congrats on the bull!

mtnkid85, let me see if this short clip will show up? If so it will share some info on what's in the App.

Hmm, I don't see it? Send me your email & I can send the link if you'd like! Same applies to any one else that may want to see what's in the App, thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

I agree with expanding the slow play and breeding sequence and all the variations with more detail.

Something that would require more work and perhaps a take the app in a different direction, but I feel would be valuable, would be a flow chart that shows your thought process as different scenarios unfold. You have put out a ton of good information over the years detailing different situations, but it would help my brain access it all better to see everything in a linear, branching "if this, then do this" format.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Ridge Ghost, I like your way of thinking I'll discuss that as well with the team. I'll let you know of the results! Thank You!

Also considering Solo Tactics Section!

ElkNut/Paul

Conference call went great, much better than I anticipated! We should be able to touch on all mentioned here. (except the button thing that would go straight to me. grin)

We will also be adding Solo Tactics & Video footage from our elk hunts this year, kinda the do's & do nots. they should be very informative.

They put this clip together, I thought it was kinda cool!

YouTube

ElkNut/Paul

Last edited:

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
I personally would love a dedicated section for solo hunting. If you were to incorporate the linear progression charts also would be a killer must have for many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agree with the red phone hot link that Paul always answered even when he's mid bugle. . .

But I guess given that he's already shared so much we can let the hot link go!

Again Paul, like many others I just want to express my thanks for you sharing so much at such a bargain price! Your app, the podcasts you've participated in, and your videos have have given me decades of elk knowledge to tap into!

You're awesome and we appreciate everything you have!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
String&stick, you are more than welcome sir! I appreciate your feedback!

Solo stuff it is! It will be a huge asset for those that hunt this way, you'll notice a lot of it will also apply to tag team as well, they really are not that distant with most sequences. I'll let all here know when the update is available. Thank You!

ElkNut/Paul

mtnkid85

WKR
Great idea on the Bull verse Hunter sounds, I'll talk with them about it, thank you!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Slow Play, there's nothing better that can be applied effectively to nearly any elk encounter!

mtnkid85, I assume you do not have the App? Your suggestion is already on the App, or are you referring to something different? There are separate categories for all Bull & Cow sounds, all are defined as to the message being sent by them, then it shares some of the best options to consider when using these sounds are hearing them in the woods. Plus there's tons more on the App at present. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul
Hey there, just saw this reply. Im sure you've already talked to your guys but anyway.

Yes I do have your app, I picked it up last year after hearing you on some podcasts. Really am enjoying it.
What I was referring to would maybe apply better to video then just pure audio. But showing natural elk behavior and there vocalizations with one another, then having your explanations of the what/why. Not necessarily even in hunting scenarios.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thank you! Yes, the App guys are putting some video clips of our last years elk hunts with similar content as you mention, I'll see what they come up with. It's a very good idea, thanks again!

ElkNut/Paul

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to it! Thanks for all that you do for those of us who love to chase elk with a bow.

Mike7

WKR
The video clips are okay I guess Paul, lol...but I was thinking that I need more of an intership program. For instance, you draw one lucky Rokslider (me) and they get to follow you around on a hunt (without a weapon of course and only after signing a note punishable by death that they would never go back to your hunting spot or maybe you blind fold them enroute to the hunting spot). :)

Thanks for all of the info.

Btaylor

WKR
The video clips are okay I guess Paul, lol...but I was thinking that I need more of an intership program. For instance, you draw one lucky Rokslider (me) and they get to follow you around on a hunt (without a weapon of course and only after signing a note punishable by death that they would never go back to your hunting spot or maybe you blind fold them enroute to the hunting spot). :)

Thanks for all of the info.

Why not take him to your spot so he can show you exactly how to kill the elk you have been hunting. He already knows how to kill the elk in his spot.

Mike7

WKR
Why not take him to your spot so he can show you exactly how to kill the elk you have been hunting. He already knows how to kill the elk in his spot.

That is a really good idea in theory, but I don't think the elk are really harvestable at my spot.

And so I wouldn't want to waste Paul's time, and that might be hard on Paul's self confidence as well. While I on the other hand am already very accustomed to the elk always winning.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Interesting thoughts guys! For the record, I don't have A Spot. I hunt all over the place & we take elk in most of them. Elk are Elk, I do not change tactics from area to area, I use the same ones everywhere I go, how? It's because I'm not a one trick pony. I will use all kinds of tactics as I tailor my calling to the mindset of the bull I'm going to target. I do not hunt like the popular Video series you may have watched. My goal when hunting OTC elk is to call in every bull, in order to do that you better have a bigger vocabulary than a few cow calls & challenge bugles.

The reason we do well is because we understand the emotional tones of bulls & cows as they change in length, volume or cadence which in turn sends their message.

Much of the areas I hunt have less than a 7% chance of taking a cow or bull yet we put them down everyear.

If you have elk in your areas & my Son & I showed to hunt them; elk would die. I prefer the timber & that's where most of our attention would be focused. Open country is great for locating but our hunt wouldn't start until we got them in the cover.

Look at the APP well guys, all the Tactics I use are in it, study it well & you too would enjoy the same success!

p.s. I like the idea of coming to your area & hunting right alongside some of you, that would be great!

ElkNut/Paul