ElkNut APP - 2019 Updates! Your Thoughts?

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Mike, the feeling is mutual!

What do you feel is tough about your area that holds you back from experiencing success. No doubt there must be one or two things that stand in your way, thanks! Maybe we can help some, lots of great guys here!

ElkNut/Paul

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be helpful to have a randomize functions on the calls thats on a loop. After the call is played have a slight delay and say what the call is. Would be a good way to learn the different calls by sound with no idea what they were before hand.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Not sure that would be any different on what's on the App now? It already gives the real Bull or Cow Sound & it's written what the message is being sent or heard by the Elk. All sounds are defined at present.

Elk communicate through the emotion of their sounds be it bugle or cow call. The message changes from tone or emotion just like if you were listening to your pet & its change in tone or emotion of a whine growl or bark.

Please correct me if I do not understand your question? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I am trying to think of a way to learn the calls that allows you to listen and not have to click on the individual pre-defined links for the sounds, which gives away what you are listening to ahead of time. Having to guess what you are hearing before you know what it is would be more realistic as to what happens in the field, and likely help me learn quicker at least. It would kind of be like flashcards but by sound, not by reading. Hopefully that makes a little more sense.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Skyler, I hear ya bud! What a lot of other guys do to accomplish what you want is to have their mates or friends quiz them. They do this by sharing the sounds from your phone & asking you what each one is, works pretty slick, in time you will get a handle on the various emotions or tones used by bulls & cows. Since the names & definition are right there the person quizzing you know if you are right or wrong! Give it a shot & let me know if it's working for you!

p.s. I know guys who sit around the campfire at their elk camps & quiz one another this way in the evenings. Everyone can benefit this way!

ElkNut/Paul

njdoxie

WKR
That is a really good idea in theory, but I don't think the elk are really harvestable at my spot.

And so I wouldn't want to waste Paul's time, and that might be hard on Paul's self confidence as well. While I on the other hand am already very accustomed to the elk always winning.

ROTFL, thx for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
You bet! It's already in the works, the Slow Play Breeding Sequence with every detail of its use will be installed on the App! It will also include the New Solo Tactics section & Early Season Tactics section! Thanks a bunch for all your suggestions & thoughts!

ElkNut/Paul

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the slow play and solo info. I could have used it last year in CO. Couldn’t make it happen by myself.

I have the app and love it.

Have you thought about a “road map” ?

If you hear this, do this, is he responds this way, do that etc.

Thanks for a you do, Paul. I have listened and downloaded many of the podcasts that you have been on and am a big fan!

Matt

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Matt, thank you, glad the App meets your approval!

Each Sound on the App has a 'Tips' section next to the name of the Bull or Cow Sound you're listening to. The Tips section goes into detail on how to handle that specific sound in detail. Have you looked into that section? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
Paul,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I love that part of it also.

The issue that I have is that in the heat of the moment, If what I am doing isn’t working, my memory isn’t the greatest with my heart rate speeding up and limited calling experience, I was trying to come up with a “cheat sheet” of sorts.

Thanks again!

Matt

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
No problem, heck we all get busy!

OK, with so much info already on the APP can you or someone give me an example of an encounter where more help is needed, I guess I'm unsure of your needs? Help me out here so I can help you out, please elaborate. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thank You guys!

The Updates will be coming your way towards the end of March. It will include Solo Elk Tactics, Early Season Tactics, Fast Play & The Slow Play Breeding Sequence in every detail! This App is top notch & is capable of assisting the New Elk Hunter or Veteran Elk Hunter. Thanks to everyone checking it out! -- For those curious it can be found under the name ElkNut APP!

p.s. we are also updating the menu into Chapters so it will be more accessible to locate any specific sound or subject!

ElkNut/Paul

What about scenarios of you hear this how do you respond type of things. Forces people to think and respond accordingly

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
forealboreal, that's what the entire App is all about! It's main goal is to share Options on how to deal with specific situations no matter the sounds used by the elk themselves. It covers Tactics & Sequences throughout the entire App. The Tactics I mentioned above are not the only things on the App, these are being added to it! Here's an example of what's in the App. This one is # 8 under ElkNut Nuggets Section, When, How & Why to use this specific Tactic on pressured bulls! This is but a small example, there's tons more!

When Bulls Cow Call!

Every once in a while a sound sequence needs to be injected that sets us apart from most hunters but still makes sense to the bull we're trying to persuade to come closer. This is generally the herd bull but has worked on satellites too as they can show up out of curiosity. Anytime we can think outside the box on these heavily hunted OTC units our odds will rise! -- Think about it, these elk see & have all kinds of sounds tossed at them, they become disciplined on what to avoid especially in certain areas of about any unit that sees the heavier hunting pressure! They hear the generic cow call & bugling by hunters from specific spots on a regular basis. With these things taking place we hunters need to be creative, realistic & believable in our sound selection not just for locating but when getting close & elk sounds are necessary to close the deal.

For instance, there are times you will be inside 75 yards from a bull & cannot get any closer or you will run out of the needed cover. Some will Challenge a bull right there, others may try to cow call the bull over, some may try to call the bulls cows away. All great tactics when used at the right time! Problem with many Herd Bulls is if you do not bring them in on the first attempt they get smart real fast & future calling attempts become increasingly difficult so it may be necessary to get creative.

Here's one to add on those very cagey bulls that seemingly have heard it all but still won't budge our way! If something creative isn't done you normally end up in a screaming match, when that's the case the bull wins most of them if not all of them! Let's consider a quick elk sound or two that can convince him you're a real elk & have him make a physical appearance!

#1 - I do my best to avoid the screaming/bugling match, it generally is non-productive! After two or three bugles near that 75 yard mark & he isn't budging you need to now call this bulls cow away but with a unique approach that he only hears from another bull! Give 3-4 Pants with your voice through your bugle tube, now give 2-3 cow mews & without any hesitation go straight to a Round Up Bugle or Lip Bawl Bugle (whatever your strength is) & start raking a tree/limbs/brush. (it means come over here NOW) -- Pants are defined as Excitement, the mews are the bull making them & the Bugling completes the message being sent by you the satellite. The real bull knows you are talking to his hot cow not him, you're trying to call her over through your sounds with emotion & Displaying with the raking! -

When giving the mews & into your bugle do it all simultaneously so it's evident this is all coming from you the bull. The Herd Bull is now enraged with that slap in his face at such close range, this will most likely have him Challenge/Warn you or he will come running in, I've had both happen. If he Challenges you (the most common) be ready to Challenge right over him followed with 3-4 Pants, that should do it from that range!

This sound can be heard in the Bull Section under Elk Sounds!

Listen to this sound clip, you will hear bulls using this sound in a similar encounter!
Bulls Using Cow Calls Before Chuckles or Scream

ElkNut/Paul