ElkNut app

I contacted them as Bbob suggested. Tayler at ElkNut provided a code to discount the first year but you will need to sign up for a subscription. Apparently anyone who purchased before June will only get a partial discount and will also need to go through with asking for the discount code. Anyone after June gets credited a free trial for a year. He stated:

“This isn’t a money grab or a bait and switch. Our company is made up of guys working regular day jobs and side hustling this thing along on nights and weekends around work, family and the little time we have to hunt ourselves. For it to continue into the future we needed to adjust how we operate.”

Which I totally get and 100% respect. I appreciate the transparency and will retract my previous comments. That being said, I still think this could have been better planned and executed.
I certainly don’t blame them, in terms of expense, still cheap for what he offers, if anyone has had any personal interaction with Paul, it would be clear and obvious that it’s not a money grab, Paul is one of the most helpful people in the industry… he has reached out to me when I was just sharing experiences not asking for advice… he’s a genuinely helpful person.

I don’t have his app, but that’s because I’m stubborn and like figuring things out, it’s part of the fun to me, but I have seen, heard, and read a lot of his content and he knows elk, and likes to see others do well

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
If you guys are under 90 days from purchase you submit a form in the new app that I believe will “grandfather” you for a year.
For the rest, if you were notified before August 31st(I had no notification) then you could renew at a 50% discount….I think
Thank you for that info. I did not see that when I tried to log in. Filled it out. Hopefully I get access restored.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I liked the app, but cmon Paul-you HAD to realize how poor the timing. While I still believe the price is fair for the amount of info and content, this poor timing couldn’t been an accident.

I haven't had any issue with mine yet. I expect when I get a new phone I'm screwed! I'll get a subscription though.

Paul Medel is about the quietest vendor of elk knowledge out there. He is on a lot of podcast interviews, and he does have some stuff on YouTube, but it's incredible how few people know about his app, how quiet he is on his advertising, how fantastic the app is and how much Paul undercharge for it initially.

I'm a fan. Go Elknut!!

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Mine just updated without asking and I lost all the content I already paid for. He definitely deserves money for his info but it’s total bullshit to screw people out of the content they already paid for.

rodney482

WKR
Mine just updated without asking and I lost all the content I already paid for. He definitely deserves money for his info but it’s total bullshit to screw people out of the content they already paid for.
Exactly…. He wanted a new app fine but leave the one I paid for alone.

Rob5589

WKR
I have my phone set to not auto update any app. Of course doesn't help you now.

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I have my phone set to not auto update any app. Of course doesn't help you now.
The weird part is so do I. I saw this thread yesterday and thought I was good then somehow out of nowhere the icon was different and I had no access.

I do however, think those that had already purchased the app should be allowed to keep their app without the annual fee.

I had that do e when I used the caltopo app. I bought it before they started charging a yearly fee and they let me continue without a fee

I do however, think those that had already purchased the app should be allowed to keep their app without the annual fee.

I had that do e when I used the caltopo app. I bought it before they started charging a yearly fee and they let me continue without a fee
I agree...I purchased the App when it first came out - the agreement was "one time purchase" not an annual fee. They should have left the original App with the new App as an upgrade option for folks who purchased the original.

My phone updated to the new App automatically - now it's gone with only the 14.95 annual fee App as an option. You guys chiming in and saying the new App is still worth 14.95 are missing the point. The people who purchased the original feel like we were kind of screwed over - especially right in the middle of the archery season. If this wasn't a money grab, then why was it done in the middle of September?

I think Paul is a good guy with a lot of knowledge but the way this was handled doesn't bode well for the folks who supported his original App. I won't be buying the new as its obvious agreements won't be honored in the future - go ahead flame away!

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
No doubt a shady move on Paul’s part, not only the timing of it all but selling something on the terms of a one time purchase and then taking all of that content away and changing terms. I’d have have no problems if an upgrade package was offered for access to all new content moving forward but taking something away that was already purchased is wrong IMO

Last edited:

Elkhntr08

WKR
Bought in to the app when it first came out. Thought it was the best $10 I’d spent. Learned a lot and past a lot of drive time with Paul.
I understand wanting to make money, but it felt like a kick in the crouch to see the 50% increase in a product I thought I owned and annual to boot.
Sorry Paul, I deleted the app yesterday. Won’t be footing the bill for your elk hunting.
Thought you were more of a stand up guy than that. Wondered why you hadn’t been around much the last year.

rodney482

WKR
Bought in to the app when it first came out. Thought it was the best $10 I’d spent. Learned a lot and past a lot of drive time with Paul.
I understand wanting to make money, but it felt like a kick in the crouch to see the 50% increase in a product I thought I owned and annual to boot.
Sorry Paul, I deleted the app yesterday. Won’t be footing the bill for your elk hunting.
Thought you were more of a stand up guy than that. Wondered why you hadn’t been around much the last year.
Deleted the app and will never spend another dime on anything Elknut

It seems like someone in the Elk Nut "crew" (I'm guessing it's not actually Paul himself) is letting visions of an endless stream of subscription dollars cloud his judgment. I'd bet that @ElkNut1 will make things right with his original customers once he returns from the elk woods.

280Ackley

WKR
Also seems like they are hoping this will die a quiet death without them responding. They have been on the site since this has started so they must have seen this thread.

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to me that some of you may be a bit harsh on @ElkNut1. I agree that the timing of the update isn't ideal, and the new app may have some bugs to work out.

But... the Elknut app is truly a wealth of information. There is a lot of really great content on that app. All that info for 15 bucks...jeez. Second, It's still much cheaper than other options (for example, Elk 101 is 60 bucks a year, vs. 15 bucks for the Elknut app). Third, @ElkNut1 is frequently on this site, responding to questions, giving out great advice, all without asking for anything in return or pimping his app. Last, from what I can tell, he is an incredibly sincere, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic hunter. I don't have a problem with him or the app developers monetizing his information. How many other hunters are doing something similar? The Rokslide group, Hushin, Elk 101, Rinella, etc., etc. It's all the same. They have info, they sell it and people buy it.