Elknut Chuckler EL Grunt Tube

slim9300

WKR
Trigger pulled based on the discussion and my past experience with Paul's products.

Question for you guys - I seem to be able to only get high pitched sounds with a diaphragm call and bugle set up. What are you doing with your mouth, voice, etc to start out at a lower sound to be more "impending" in your bugles? It seems that when I try to go lower I get more human sounds of grunt/growl than elk sounds. Anyone found they have the same challenge?

I have the same problem to some extent. You just have to use your voice as best you can and practice. The growl in the beginning is a good way to represent "mad." lol.

Here's some of my practice from last night. Why don't you post up some sounds here? I will also give you the link to our Archery-Talk thread where some very good callers have been helping make some of us better callers. Just let me know if you are interested.

http://soundcloud.com/slim9300/mixed-bull-sounds

ktowncamo

WKR
Slim - those sound pretty cool. I'll make time this weekend to record some practice sounds and then will post the link. I've never done this before so hopefully I don't shame or embarrass myself in doing so. Just signed up for SoundCloud so that's the first (and easy) step.

slim9300

WKR
Slim - those sound pretty cool. I'll make time this weekend to record some practice sounds and then will post the link. I've never done this before so hopefully I don't shame or embarrass myself in doing so. Just signed up for SoundCloud so that's the first (and easy) step.

Trust me when I say that it will only make you better. I'll post the A-T link once you post up your sounds. You will get more help and feedback there too. Paul (aka Elknut) has been a great help for me too. Maybe he will chime in here for you.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
All I can say is that it is hard for everyone to post sounds up for others to listen to and critique, even the seasoned callers. I had to think about it twice myself before. But all I can say is that everyone is very positive and helped me become a better caller. So we look forward to what anybody posts up..

slim9300

WKR
All I can say is that it is hard for everyone to post sounds up for others to listen to and critique, even the seasoned callers. I had to think about it twice myself before. But all I can say is that everyone is very positive and helped me become a better caller. So we look forward to what anybody posts up..

Yep. That first step was intimidating.

Here's a link to the thread...

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1063935778

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my new Chuckler EL from Elknut. All I can say is WOW! This thing really rocks.

Paul just seems to keep tweaking and trying to squeeze every bit of realisim he possibly can out of his grunt tubes to make them sound the very best.

You out did your self on the new EL series Paul.

Yea I concur. Mine makes me sound better than me.

Trigger pulled based on the discussion and my past experience with Paul's products.

Question for you guys - I seem to be able to only get high pitched sounds with a diaphragm call and bugle set up. What are you doing with your mouth, voice, etc to start out at a lower sound to be more "impending" in your bugles? It seems that when I try to go lower I get more human sounds of grunt/growl than elk sounds. Anyone found they have the same challenge?

I have found that my choice of mouth reed is the biggest factor in how good my calls sound. I like a few of the primos small diaphragms with the "power dome" or whatever they call it (little plastic dome that helps position the diaphragm correctly to the roof of your mouth). I like the single and double reeds, but I've only been able to really work the 3+ reed calls a few times and they are really tough for me to get consistent. Obviously the more reeds the deeper the tone but I usually go through 3 calls before I find one I like.

I've actually found that for bugles I like this type of bugle reed (non diaphragm) for probably 75% of my bugling. The reed design is very easy to master and they sound very good for not being a diaphragm call. But I do use both...
http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/browseproducts/Berry-Thunder-Bugle.html

Have been wanting to pick up one of Elknut's bugles for awhile to try!

Mike

Last edited:

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I first heard of this grunt tube on this forum. After checking it out on the website I ordered one and received it yesterday. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but if looks mean anything it's a winner.

muleman

WKR
Paul, thanks for going over things with me this afternoon. I placed an order for the things we discussed and some extra diaphrams too.

ElkNut1

WKR
muleman & dreamingbig, thanks guys! Let me know how your Dad likes the bugle?

Matt, it was great talking with you too, I think you'll like that slightly larger opening! Thanks!

ElkNut1