Elknut Chuckler EL Grunt Tube

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my new Chuckler EL from Elknut. All I can say is WOW! This thing really rocks.

Paul just seems to keep tweaking and trying to squeeze every bit of realisim he possibly can out of his grunt tubes to make them sound the very best.

You out did your self on the new EL series Paul.

Swede

WKR
I have found the Chuckler EL and the new Lil Chuckler to have excellent tone and resonance. I am looking forward to trying them and seeing the reaction from the elk. What surprizes me the most is how the new bugles make it easier to send out a very believable call with excellent volume.

slim9300

WKR
Yep. It's a great tube. Thankfully Paul explained how to tune my older Chuckler tube with electrical splicing tape like he does his own and it helped the sound immensely. Did I mention Elknut is the man? ;)

slim9300

WKR
Okay,lets get into this electrical tape thing. How?..............Why?

Not regular electrical tape the much heavier rubber electrical splicing tape.

It reduces some of the overall volume but takes away the plasticky sound / resonance you can get from a tube. It needs to be strategically placed though. ;)

Paul advised the following... 3 wraps about 1.5-2" back from the front of the barrel. Another 3 wraps 2-3" back from the first and 2 wraps another 2-3" back from the second. The difference in sound quality is night and day for me.

slim9300

WKR
I'm not sure you can really tell from the audio recording but when a person chuckles or grunts into a untuned plastic tube there is a hollow resonance. You can hear it with bugles too. I'm confident you would hear it better in person versus the recording. Only the best callers in the world can find a way to sound "real" with only a plastic tube. I can really hear it when I listen to other hunters call in the field. Since my voice isn't naturally very deep it's much harder for me to control this.

http://soundcloud.com/slim9300/comparison

Lawnboi

WKR
Not regular electrical tape the much heavier rubber electrical splicing tape.

It reduces some of the overall volume but takes away the plasticky sound / resonance you can get from a tube. It needs to be strategically placed though. ;)

Paul advised the following... 3 wraps about 1.5-2" back from the front of the barrel. Another 3 wraps 2-3" back from the first and 2 wraps another 2-3" back from the second. The difference in sound quality is night and day for me.

Pictures? Please

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments! The Tape Slim is referring too is Rubber & very stretchable, this means you can dictate tension on the tubes barrel & apply the needed layers to suit you. It is not a plastic electrical tape! This in itself will change ones Bugle tones dramatically or slightly all depending on your strong suits & weaknesses you're needing to enhance. Here at the shop I apply the "tone dampeners" on the barrel of All Chuckler Models. If a hunter is really trying to get all he can because of his calling style out of his bugle then more can be added!

For instance, if you call real deep toned with lots of base then you only need one wrap that is two thicknesses. If you are squealy sounding & have difficulty in reaching those good base type growls & a more mature bull sounds then you can add another tone dampener to enhance that feature. The best spots for using two separate ones is 3" from exhaust end & 2 wraps pulled snugly, then a second double wrap aprox 4" down the barrel towards the mouth opening. These two positions will take out 100% of any plasticy resonance sound that is found in many of todays marketed bugles.

Every bugle needs at least one wrap to rid ones self of the plastic resonance which is really noted on the higher pitches or challenges. Some require two positions depending on how much force you using!

ElkNut1

slim9300

WKR
Just ordered one yesterday. The word is that it's worth it, so I figured I would give it a shot. Paul's going to dial mine in for me how I like it. Thanks for the thread WW!

Swede

WKR
The Chucklers all sound excellent without ever resorting to gimicks to give consistant quality sounds. I am not dissing Slim in the slightest, but to anyone who may be wondering if they need to modify their grunt tube I will say, the Chucklers can all easily git-er-done the way Elknut sent it to you. I can modify the sounds of mine with different diaphrams and by the way I blow into the tube. I have more variety than I know what to do with. More grunt tubes are coming on the market with dial a tone adjustments. Having a Chuckler is like having a BMW. You don't need to wonder what Kia is coming out with.

slim9300

WKR
The Chucklers all sound excellent without ever resorting to gimicks to give consistant quality sounds. I am not dissing Slim in the slightest, but to anyone who may be wondering if they need to modify their grunt tube I will say, the Chucklers can all easily git-er-done the way Elknut sent it to you. I can modify the sounds of mine with different diaphrams and by the way I blow into the tube. I have more variety than I know what to do with. More grunt tubes are coming on the market with dial a tone adjustments. Having a Chuckler is like having a BMW. You don't need to wonder what Kia is coming out with.

Every Chuckler tube since 2010 (probably well before then) comes from Elknut with two tone dampener wraps (ie. rubber splicing tape) on them already. Just an FYI. The splicing tape is no "gimmick". Paul doesn't just send you a bare plastic tube wrapped in camo material. That would not sound the way that it should.

Last edited:

Swede

WKR
Slim, Thanks I agree, and understand that. I was comparing to other brands and what they are coming out with. My concern was that some reader could get the idea that their Chuckler could be improved upon by more wrapping, or the brand X bugle would be an better. For elk hunters Elknut's grunt tubes come as good as it gets. If you need a better call, then you will simply need to practice your calling some and not rely on changing the tone or any thing else. Every year some manufacturer comes out with new elk call toys. Usually several do. I believe most are simply designed to sell. If you are dissatisfied with their product, great. Next year they will come out with their "new" or "improved" model. If you have one of the Chucklers, put your mind at ease on that subject, and move on to learning how to more effectively communicate with your call.

slim9300

WKR
Slim, Thanks I agree, and understand that. I was comparing to other brands and what they are coming out with. My concern was that some reader could get the idea that their Chuckler could be improved upon by more wrapping, or the brand X bugle would be an better. For elk hunters Elknut's grunt tubes come as good as it gets. If you need a better call, then you will simply need to practice your calling some and not rely on changing the tone or any thing else. Every year some manufacturer comes out with new elk call toys. Usually several do. I believe most are simply designed to sell. If you are dissatisfied with their product, great. Next year they will come out with their "new" or "improved" model. If you have one of the Chucklers, put your mind at ease on that subject, and move on to learning how to more effectively communicate with your call.

I see. I agree with you 100%.

is that "rubbery" tape you guys are referring to called Polyken Tape such that pipe fitters and welders wrap underground pipe with?

ktowncamo

WKR
Trigger pulled based on the discussion and my past experience with Paul's products.

Question for you guys - I seem to be able to only get high pitched sounds with a diaphragm call and bugle set up. What are you doing with your mouth, voice, etc to start out at a lower sound to be more "impending" in your bugles? It seems that when I try to go lower I get more human sounds of grunt/growl than elk sounds. Anyone found they have the same challenge?

Swede

WKR
Part of the tone you get is based on the grunt tube, part is the reed you choose and part is the way you make the call. I usually prefer a higher pitched small bull sound where I hunt. Try different reeds and keep your mouth open as you call.