Elknut playbook help

I have his videos and the app. I really like the app because of the record feature. Also, if I am away from home and have a few spare minutes, I can read the tactics portion of the app. The videos go into more depth than the app, but the app is more user friendly. Plus, with more practice, your calling will improve, especially when you are able to compare it to real elk sounds and Paul's calling.

Swede

WKR
You will never be good caller until you understand elk. Before I picked up a bugle, I would spend some years hunting and learning elk. After that I would add calling as another tool for an option. It is not a universal toy that is a free pass to elk. Many of the best hunters don't use them at all. My advice would be to find an experienced and successful elk hunter to tie in with.
I met an elk hunter with a necklace full or the wood/plastic cow calls and a bugle on a string. Total rookie.
BTW: You never said if you are rifle or bow hunting. That can make a big difference too.

ElkNut1

WKR
The Playbook will not teach you how to call elk, it will share with you what makes elk tick! It will share a variety of Tactics & Sequences & when & why to use them for nearly any encounter you will face! These Tactics were designed around Over The Counter DIY Public Land hunters. It will aid you in shortening the learning curve by many many years. The App is an extension of the Playbook, you will learn tons from both as a newer archery elk hunter. The App can teach you how to call, this means not just making elk sounds but knowing how all elk can change their emotion or tone of their mew or bugle to send their message. This is a great starting point to enhance your knowledge much quicker than without.

The App has a Tips for New Hunters Section, go over it well & you'll see it shares with you some great easy strategies on how to have success!

You have plenty of time to lean how to call if you are serious about an elk hunt this year. You will get out of your hunt what you are willing to put into it!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
You will never be good caller until you understand elk. Before I picked up a bugle, I would spend some years hunting and learning elk. After that I would add calling as another tool for an option. It is not a universal toy that is a free pass to elk. Many of the best hunters don't use them at all. My advice would be to find an experienced and successful elk hunter to tie in with.
I met an elk hunter with a necklace full or the wood/plastic cow calls and a bugle on a string. Total rookie.
BTW: You never said if you are rifle or bow hunting. That can make a big difference too.

Thanks for the response, and I agree. I really wanted to learn to call for bow season. I bought several diaphram calls last year but after hours of effort I couldn't get it sorted out. I probably need to pick different brands to see what works for me.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I'd recommend spending time with someone that also likes to hunt solo and doesn't suck at calling.:D

Good post! Personally I'd rather learn to call on my own since none of my hunting buddies are better callers than I am and don't have the same desire to go elk hunting as I do.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
The Playbook will not teach you how to call elk, it will share with you what makes elk tick! It will share a variety of Tactics & Sequences & when & why to use them for nearly any encounter you will face! These Tactics were designed around Over The Counter DIY Public Land hunters. It will aid you in shortening the learning curve by many many years. The App is an extension of the Playbook, you will learn tons from both as a newer archery elk hunter. The App can teach you how to call, this means not just making elk sounds but knowing how all elk can change their emotion or tone of their mew or bugle to send their message. This is a great starting point to enhance your knowledge much quicker than without.

The App has a Tips for New Hunters Section, go over it well & you'll see it shares with you some great easy strategies on how to have success!

You have plenty of time to lean how to call if you are serious about an elk hunt this year. You will get out of your hunt what you are willing to put into it!

ElkNut/Paul

Paul, thanks for chiming in on my question! When I said I need to learn how to call I meant two things. 1) When to make certain sounds and sequences for certain situations, and 2) How to physically get the best sounds out a diaphram and bugle tube. Admittedly, I didn't put in enough time last year to become remotely proficient, but plan to correct that. Does your playbook address how to pick a diaphram and how to operate them, or do you assume I already know how to make the sound and just need to know when to use each sound? I've already watched many videos on calling, so I understand there is a location bugle vs a challenge bugle, and many different other sounds but I would like to have one resource where all the info is in one place.

With that in mind, what would you suggest I buy?

ElkNut1

WKR
You are looking for the App, it addresses mouth reed choices according to your pallet size! You will learn how to not just make elk sounds but you will also know what they mean to the elk. All sounds are defined & there is a short video clip for every bull & cow sound on how you use a reed to imitate all sounds. You can also Record your sounds as you practice side by side with myself or real elk.

The App will also share much much more info that will educate you on sounds, tips, tactics, sequences, videos & more than you realized existed. It's best to educate yourself & not the elk, this is a great way to accomplish that! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Beendare

WKR
I'm thinking about picking this up but there are a lot of options to choose from. What would you recommend for someone newer to elk hunting that likes to hunt solo and that sucks at calling? Thanks.

Yep get the app......saves you the learning curve.

My problem is the last few elk I've got on in the woods didn't read the book! /grin

I'm a big fan of decoys when hunting solo.....works for me.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Paul,

Bought your app this morning and already have learned a lot. Was going to pick up some diaphragm calls but none are showing on your site. Do you have any recommendations on 1/2" calls to try out?

ElkNut1

WKR
Look at the Black & Gray Amp series from Phelpsgamecalls, they are 1/2" models & do very well, start with the Black Amp as it has a softer latex which will be easier to learn on!

ElkNut/Paul

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Black & Gray Amp series from Phelpsgamecalls, they are 1/2" models & do very well, start with the Black Amp as it has a softer latex which will be easier to learn on!

ElkNut/Paul
Black amp was my first. And after a few others I got the grey. I love the sound I produce with the grey one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk