emergency gear

what are you guys hauling around? i try to ditch items that dont get used after a trip but some of these items i feel like i need to keep carrying, a little too much better to have and not need attitude in me i guess. i feel like im packing too much and especially when i write it down... what can i cut?

vaseline cottonballs (10) rolled in 2sq ft tinfoil
2 coughlans firestarter per day
1 small box storm matches
2 small bics
havalon w/9 blades
kershaw blackout
coast p7 flashlight
coast h7 headlamp
50ft 550
2 spare AA
3 spare AAA
compass/mirror
iodine tabs
space blanket
duct tape
elec tape
firstaid kit

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion, carry one method of fire starter, the cottonballs or the coughlans, not both. Go in with fresh batteries, and you should not need to carry extras, depending on the trip duration. Bring the headlamp, leave the flashlight. Are you working on a wiring project? If not lose the electrical tape. I am working on my first aid kit. Mine is only 8 ounces, but I need to lose another 4 ounces.

Brent

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
what are you guys hauling around? i try to ditch items that dont get used after a trip but some of these items i feel like i need to keep carrying, a little too much better to have and not need attitude in me i guess. i feel like im packing too much and especially when i write it down... what can i cut?

vaseline cottonballs (10) rolled in 2sq ft tinfoil
2 coughlans firestarter per day
1 small box storm matches
2 small bics
havalon w/9 blades
kershaw blackout
coast p7 flashlight
coast h7 headlamp
50ft 550
2 spare AA
3 spare AAA
compass/mirror
iodine tabs
space blanket
duct tape
elec tape
firstaid kit

I would lose:

. Vaseline cottonballs (10) rolled in 2sq ft tinfoil
. 1 small box storm matches
. A few of the Havalon Blades
. Coast p7 flashlight
. Iodine tabs (if you have a filter)
. Space blanket
. Elec tape

OP
fillthefreezer
i guess i could list the elec tape in my first aid kit as its usually my go-to for a cut. i dont really use bandaids.
ive thought of losing the coughlans but when i do make fire its so easy with them.. im thinking no fire until end of october so ill drop them for now. maybe only 1 per day if bringing them....

OP
fillthefreezer
why does my mind work like this, its like i had a trauma as a boy and was forced to live like jim bridger for awhile...

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
how much does all that weigh? I know I probably pack a little too much as well on certain things, but when i start throwing things out I'm not saving too much weight so it will typically stay in pack

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
how much does all that weigh? I know I probably pack a little too much as well on certain things, but when i start throwing things out I'm not saving too much weight so it will typically stay in pack

That is how to get light, every little bit helps, every bit. I struggle with it to, trust me. I would be anxious to know the weight saved if these items were removed. Are we looking at close to a pound? If so, I'd say a pound matters when the miles and elevation start to add up.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a lot of extra stuff to be carrying around but all of us have different comfort levels that we have grown used to living with.

I don't carry a compass but do carry a gps. The gps will take me right to my camp in the dark and a compass might or might not.
I only bring one light source and that is a headlamp since it gives me two hands to do other things with.
The only fire starters I bring are two lighters or one lighter and some wind proof water proof matches.
If you want to lighten up the 550 cord gut it.
If you have a water filter cut the iodine.
For the tape I only bring one or the other, just depends on which one I grab.

OP
fillthefreezer
i just keep the elec tape wrapped around a lighter. im gonna pack for the weekend tonight and cut some stuff, ill make a list and weigh it to see how much im actually shaving off.
you guys are motivating, im gonna cut alot of this out.
on a side not im also ditching my rifle sling as it weighs 6oz and i never really use it when backpacking..

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I would never ditch my rifle sling, I don't use it when I have a pack on but there have been times when I needed it while on a stalk on the mountain so my hands were free to grab holds plus by wrapping it around my arm I get a firmer shooting position.

OP
fillthefreezer
thats been my thoughts too for so long but i never have it slung once ive dropped my pack and i never end up with quick shots where i would use a tight sling technique that i practice, we'll see if im kicking myself, i can also snag the wifes if need be, she refuses to drop certain items but her pack weight starts at almost nothing for some reason...

OP
fillthefreezer
i should add, im going to try it this weekend on a scouting trip/bear hunt this weekend before i actually head in for my hunt

As we all work to lighten our loads, keep in mind to have the minimum basics in your "survival kit" to help you survive a night on the mountain. Some of the posts here have mentioned dropping some of the basics. So, make sure you always have on your person something for:

Fire: firestarters (cotton balls with vaseline, coughlans fire starters, whatever) and a couple ways to light them (matches, bic lighter, firesteel, etc.).

Shelter: keep the elements off and the heat in with something like a space blanket or other heat trapping item, a couple of 50 gallon trash bags that you can split and tape together or use as a sleeping bag, or an emergency rain poncho.

Water: pump or chemicals, something to store whatever amount of water one dose of your treatment will do (quart or gallon). Something that most don't think about is the bladder that you get a box of wine or coffee in, They are lightweight, have a screw on top to make filling and drinking easier than a ziplock bag.

Signalling: a whistle, an old CD to use as a signal mirror.

First Aid: something to stop bleeding or broken bones, plus your daily medications if you have any. This can be as simple as a baggie with your meds, some duct tape and some gauze pads to make field expedient dressings and splints (you can always find something stiff and straight in the woods to use for the splint), some pain killers, and something for the runs (immodium).

Food: this isn't really a necessity, but it will help with morale; just a couple of granola bars or some form of compressed food.

So, your survival kit can be as simple, and lightweight, as:

1 x space blanket
1 x box of matches
1 x bic lighter
3 x cotton balls with vaseline
1 x other fire starter
1 x whistle
1 x CD or signal mirror
1 x chemical purification drops (which expire over time, BTW)
1 x 2 quart coffee reservoir from Dunkin Donuts
1 x 15 feet of duct tape
3 x large gauze pads
1 x whatever meds you need
3 x immodium
8 x pain killers (2 days worth)
20 feet of paracord ('cause you can use it for all kinds of stuff)

This will all fit into one or two quart sized zip lock baggies and can be kept in the cargo pockets of your pants. No need to have stuff to cook in, or kill/trap/snare game, or catch fish. You are planning for and preparing for an unexpected night or two waiting for someone to find you or to walk back to camp in the morning.

Larry

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Larry, I like that list. Pretty close to what I carry. I keep mine in a Nalgene bottle, that doubles as my case and water holder. That system works for me!