Emergency Kit

Ralphie

WKR
Mine probably won’t fit in your bino harness.
fire starting
quick clot gauze
maxipads
couple other bandages
steri strips
ace bandage
a few pain killer pills
tape
Spot device
Usually have a headlamp and one of those single AAA stream lights that has a clip to attach to cap or wherever

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I keep a lanyard that has a flashlight, knife, and lighter in my pocket that is attached to a belt loop all the time. More items in the pack.

I'm a firm believer in redundancy, particularly around making a fire. Out west the temperature can go from 60 degrees to zero and snowing in a day.

Remember Labor Day in Colorado this year......ugly!

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff here. Something I picked up from a similar thread several years back was to add a serious pain killer to the kit. I added two doses of left overs from a knee surgery. I have now carried an opioid pain killer for 5-6 years. Three years ago I slid off a snow filed and broke my neck. Those pain meds got me through the night, and I believe helped my body to not go into shock. Post fusion surgery and all is good, so a happy ending, but I was certainly grateful for that suggestion years ago.

Antares

WKR
Whistle

Surprised no one has mentioned this. I always have a whistle around my neck or on a lanyard on my pack where I can get at it. You can blow a whistle a lot longer than you can yell. I like the Fox 40 Classic and Pearl.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah I have a Fox whistle and a Photon light on a lanyard around my neck- if you ever have to swap batteries in your headlamp in the dark, you'll be very happy having that little light!

oh also on the lanyard a St Christopher's medal just because :)