[emoji106] Alaska public school teacher

Great little write up on the front page of the Anchorge Daily News today about one of our finest HS biology teachers (who also happens to be my sons AP biology teacher). I figured some of you guys would enjoy this short read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
As a former teacher in Alaska, one of my favorite memories was taking the class outside when a good trapper friend would bring harvested wolves to the school to show the students.

Last edited:

Elk97

WKR
Butchering wild game, with sharp knives in public school? Not gonna happen here in WA. Commend the teacher for bringing real life into the class room, and the pledge!

CBreeze

FNG
I wish there was something in the lower 48 to support all the work my son put in during 5 years in the Japanese immersion program. I really struggle down here. Quality of life overall is poor compared to what we had up there b

ramses342

FNG
That's awesome your son did that! I did something similar with a sitka blacktail I got in SE Alaska this year. I went into the local school's cultural studies classroom with my deer and the kids helped me butcher it. InkedIMG_1184_Edit.jpg

OP
AK Troutbum
That's awesome your son did that! I did something similar with a sitka blacktail I got in SE Alaska this year. I went into the local school's cultural studies classroom with my deer and the kids helped me butcher it. View attachment 140598

No, unfortunately he wasn’t involved in any of this because that was a World Discovery Seminar class, and my son has this teacher for an AP biology class. I’m sure he would’ve enjoyed that class time activity, but he’s been involved in processing moose in the field before, so he has seen it a few times. I think it’s cool that kids get to experience this kind of stuff in the classroom, I wish I would’ve been exposed to this as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramses342

FNG
I think it’s cool that kids get to experience this kind of stuff in the classroom, I wish I would’ve been exposed to this as a kid.
Yeah totally me too I did not shoot a gun until I was 25 and did not hunt until about a year and a half ago. I think if someone had done something like this in one of my classes when I was younger and talked about the meat and the ethics of hunting I would have started hunting much sooner.

When I taught in the bush, we started the year out with fish camp. Ran subsistience nets for a week. Tied all our learning into fishing. Fish was donated to school and elders.
Two weeks later we did moose camp. We took MS/HS kids on a week long moose hunting trip.
Every afternoon we’d pile into the school truck and go grouse hunting. Once winter came, we would ice fish bi-weekly and the kids ran a trap line.
Spring rolled around and we’d spend time in our geese hunting blinds hunting geese.
Different life out there and I miss it.