Empty chamber indicator for bolt actions

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
For those of you who use ECIs (or open bolt indicators), what are you doing for your bolt actions? My range requires removal of the bolt or an ECI. With an AR or pistol the ECI stays in place with the bolt. For a bolt action I can only remove the bolt, but I’d ideally still like to have an ECI because it’s easier on the RO and others to see. If I remove the bolt and put in an ECI, the latter just flops around and falls out. I found one made by Warhorse Development, but I’m not sure the “plug” portion (that is a plastic cartridge) comes in the needed sizes.

I’ve unsuccessfully tinkered with some of my ECIs to try to bend the ends that go in the chamber to make them stay by friction.

sndmn11

WKR
I've seen people take a rubber band and feed it halfway under the scope mount, and the two loops around the bolt handle. If you fiddle with the length enough and the strength is there, it'll pseudo hold the flag in place.

motofrog

FNG
They hand out yellow zip ties at one of the ranges I go to and if you make the loop the right size you can put the tail in the chamber and the loop in the receiver so it stays in place.

BLJ

WKR
16CC6F8E-AE68-49F0-B358-0ABEF80BFF01.jpeg

Empty chamber flag and weedeater string. I make some of them long enough to go from chamber to the muzzle. If you can see the string hanging out of the muzzle, you can tell the rifle is clear from either side.
The string comes in a roll, so the natural curl adds enough tension to them to keep them from sliding out.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've seen people take a rubber band and feed it halfway under the scope mount, and the two loops around the bolt handle. If you fiddle with the length enough and the strength is there, it'll pseudo hold the flag in place.
@sndmn11 for the win. Others in my shoes might be embarrassed to show having overlooked such an obvious solution. Not me. I maintain very low expectations for myself.
9685895C-CBBA-4F76-9D80-FE14AE165A6D.jpeg

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 for the win. Others in my shoes might be embarrassed to show having overlooked such an obvious solution. Not me. I maintain very low expectations for myself.
View attachment 461696

I guess that works...

What I've seen is leaving the bolt in, rubber band around rear ring and the bolt handle.

Just like how a semi auto's spring holds the flag in the chamber by pushing the bolt against it.

Click on the link from @Lawnboi and the same concept except the band anchored on the ring rather than the flag like in that link.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I guess that works...

What I've seen is leaving the bolt in, rubber band around rear ring and the bolt handle.

Just like how a semi auto's spring holds the flag in the chamber by pushing the bolt against it.

Click on the link from @Lawnboi and the same concept except the band anchored on the ring rather than the flag like in that link.
I will try that tomorrow. Thx!

The range that I shoot requires a E.C.I but you do not have to remove the bolt, I make my own out of empty laundry soap bottles, they are a nice thickness, come in different colors ( I like the orange or yellow bottles ) and you can make the tails that go into the chamber long enough that they stay with no problems, about 10 mins. with a pair of kitchen shears and your in business. You can take a sharpie marker and write the word empty or safe on them for a bit of extra precaution.

Macintosh

WKR
I dont know who makes them, but t.he cheapie plastic chamber flags given as schwag at matches, sent with your mdt order, etc already have a 5” curved ”rod” and stay put just fine in all of my rifles via friction.

Rob5589

WKR
Plastic flag with an elastic cord to wrap around bolt handle. Don't even need to elastic unless you're picking up the gun and moving around like during a match.

Are these devices required to transport firearms at a gun range in metro areas?

I live in the sticks and have never shot at a range, so forgive my ignorance but I haven't ever seen these devices or discussions on them before.

Rob5589

WKR
Are these devices required to transport firearms at a gun range in metro areas?

I live in the sticks and have never shot at a range, so forgive my ignorance but I haven't ever seen these devices or discussions on them before.
Many ranges require them during a cease fire to ensure an unloaded weapon while shooters are down range.

MattB

WKR
I’ve always just taken the 5 seconds to pull the bolt and use a rear bag so they can see down the bore without having to bend down too much.

Probably helps the barrel cool just a bit faster too.