Empty pack weights

peterk123

WKR
I really had it in my mind that I was going for a SG pack. I will be a in Bozeman in a few weeks so I was planning to visit them and check things out. Figured while I am there, I would also visit MR. So, like all other obsessed want to be hunters, I started to comb through the threads reading about MR packs.

I understand that it really comes down to fit. I suspect though, with padding placement in the lumbar and proper adjustment both of these can be made to work. So the next thing that seems to always pop up is weight. It appears that MR on average is about a pound and a half heavier than SG. Some of that weight I'm sure is in the frame, although that gap seems to have closed a bit with their latest iteration. But how much of the difference do you feel has to do with the simplicity of the SG pack? Zippers will add weight and I think MR will have more of them in their bags. But I wonder once you have added the various attached mini bags that go inside the SG pack, the weights maybe are not too far apart.

After reading about the Metcalf and Beartooth, I am liking MR more and more. Definitely look like bomb proof bags as well, and I plan to own whatever pack I buy for a long time.

empty pack weight honestly doesn't matter.... unless buying sight unseen, don't even consider it. my couple bad pack purchases were made with weight being a factor in the purchase, and it shouldn't be. a perfect fitting pack is way more important than the weight of the actual pack. what really evens pack weight is carrying the things you do hunting, at that point it doesn't matter and fit does. if you can put both on with a little weight, for sure do that.

i like mystery ranch packs, they are tough as nails. they work fine for me, but the popup fits me better than their guidelite (have not tried the MT version yet) i would be fine with a MR pack, but my EXO fits me better and is more comfortable in hunt mode as well as 100+lbs.... that's not to say the MR won't fit you the best, it very well could.

don't abandon the Stone, still try it on, because if it fits you better than MR it's going to be a much better purchase... and vice versa

the more you try on, the better your chance you will get the right pack the first time. with the different versions of frame SG has, i'll be surprised if you don't buy one. their owners seem to love them. if i could try every version of their frame on, i would try one, but without that option, i'll stick with what i know i like.

good luck hunting down the right pack!

Doesn't matter how light a pack is if it doesn't fit you.... even with just 50lbs - what's the real world effect of 54lbs on your back vs 51lbs -or- scale that up to 104lbs vs 101lbs. How a pack fits and carries on YOUR body is the most important thing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go to both places, load some packs up, insure they are adjusted properly, walk around with them and then you should have a pretty good idea what will work best for you.

Both make great packs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Pack fit is the most important factor but that being said, it the comfort is equal, then by all means get the lighter one of weight is an issue. I was using a kifaru fulcrum with a tactical frame and it weighed over 9lbs empty. I found that the stone glacier frame worked just as well for me, maybe even a bit better and with the guide 7900 it weighs like 6 lbs. I saved over 3lbs right there which for me is important. Again though, fit is important, a 6lb bag that dosent fit well is far worse than a 10lb bag that fits well.

What they said about fit. I had a badlands day pack that didnt fit me and had a poor suspension. Very light pack but carrying 30 lbs for two hours caused pain. I now have a six pound MR Metcalf which I can carry 50 lbs all day with no pain whatsoever. Also MR packs are bombproof and have a ton of adaptability built in. I watche a video on YouTube where some guys compared the major brands and then did a destruction test where they did their best to rip the packs apart. There was one pretty gnarly big dude who destroyed a badlands and a kuiu with his bare hands but he could not hurt the metcalf, bag or frame. And believe me he was trying.

Here a pic of my metcalf with an entire spike camp for three men on board. aboout 60 lbs? Three sleeping bags and pads, medium sized pyramid tent and poles, floor tarp, stove and filter, all my day gear. I didn't even use the meat shelf just the compression straps. My brother and son took their rifles and daypacks and hunted down the ridge while i carried the spike camp down the canyon back to the main camp.

IMG_8038.jpg

22lr

WKR
Another vote for saying don't sweat the weight if the MR fits you better. But if both packs fit you well, go lighter. The SG is a great pack, you won't be disappointed in it thats for sure. 1.5lbs isn't going to kill ya, but thats alot of weight that will be hard to shave elsewhere. But then again, try em both, and go with what fits. You won't be disappointed in the durability of either bag.

I really had it in my mind that I was going for a SG pack. I will be a in Bozeman in a few weeks so I was planning to visit them and check things out. Figured while I am there, I would also visit MR. So, like all other obsessed want to be hunters, I started to comb through the threads reading about MR packs.

I understand that it really comes down to fit. I suspect though, with padding placement in the lumbar and proper adjustment both of these can be made to work. So the next thing that seems to always pop up is weight. It appears that MR on average is about a pound and a half heavier than SG. Some of that weight I'm sure is in the frame, although that gap seems to have closed a bit with their latest iteration. But how much of the difference do you feel has to do with the simplicity of the SG pack? Zippers will add weight and I think MR will have more of them in their bags. But I wonder once you have added the various attached mini bags that go inside the SG pack, the weights maybe are not too far apart.

After reading about the Metcalf and Beartooth, I am liking MR more and more. Definitely look like bomb proof bags as well, and I plan to own whatever pack I buy for a long time.
My buddy bought the beartooth and loves it. He got to check out my skyguide 7900 and loved it more. Its lighter and bigger. I have a large belt pocket and 2 flip outs along with a hydro holster and a their large pocket. The sg is more comfortable in my opinion when its heavy (50+lbs.)

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider

Hi Peterk123,

I’m new here, so bear with me.....🤓

I’m also on the hunt for the right pack. I’ve been trying quite a few and am finding that there are a lot more things to consider than what I originally thought. I will agree that fit and comfort are very important things to consider as a pack that is not comfortable will not do. For me comfort means being able to carry the load well and also feeling right as I walk around with it with just my day hunting stuff in it. Also, comfort means that I can “look up” without my head hitting the pack frame. Weight of the pack is also important, but (I’m finding) not as important as I once thought. For me, after comfort comes ease of access and being convenient (this is difficult to explain until you experience it). Good luck with your search. It’s all part of the fun.

pdrake

FNG
To the OP. Please call ahead before you visit Bozeman. I stopped by in the pre-Covid days, and visited Mystery Ranch. They don't (didn't) have a showroom open to the public, and sent me to a shop in town that carries all of their gear (they have a relationship with the shop, and that place is like their model room). I don't know about Glacier Peak. A friend of mine went to Bozeman just a few weeks ago, and (with Covid) you can't even get in the front door of MR.

Sorry, I don't recall the name of the shop in town. Google it, it is your normal outdoor retailer. Nice shop, by the way.