Enclosed / Cargo Trailer Type

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who haul an enclosed trailer, I just put an order in on one and am offered the option of going with a beavertail style in the back, so as to be able to load the SxS in it and accomodate it's height at the rear opening, and not needing to maintain a taller height throughout the length of the trailer.

I'm thinking this would be a benefit while hauling, as it would reduce the surface area that wind could catch on the road. But, with that rear beavertail portion of the trailer dropping 3-5" lower, I'm also thinking it could pose a problem on some forest service roads with that tail end catching the road on dips, etc. and so not sure if the trade off is worth it, as it would definitely see forest service road use.

Anybody with this style of trailer, or know somebody who does, have any input on this?

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I had an enclosed trailer built. I opted for no beavertail but did go with a custom height. I got it tall enough to fit my 4 seat Polaris general that is lifted with over height tires. I then went a bit higher so it would fit if I ever get tracks for it.

It didn't add that much cost considering the total cost of the trailer...

We run an enclosed trailer with a beaver tail on some hunts. We got the lower backend like you are talking, bet we offset this by not having drop Axel's. Basically was a wash between the clearance of the two.

204guy

WKR
How long of a trailer? That will make as big a difference as your ground clearance.

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I have a flatbed with a dropped tail, and I drag it on ranch roads all the time. If I had it to do over again, I would not go with that configuration.

OP
P

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I had an enclosed trailer built. I opted for no beavertail but did go with a custom height. I got it tall enough to fit my 4 seat Polaris general that is lifted with over height tires. I then went a bit higher so it would fit if I ever get tracks for it.

It didn't add that much cost considering the total cost of the trailer...

I imagine you have your height at least at 84”. Have you towed it in a high crosswind situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I imagine you have your height at least at 84”. Have you towed it in a high crosswind situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had it built with an 88" interior height clearance as there is also an A/C unit which takes up some clearance height. I've not towed it in super high winds, but have in "normal" crosswinds with no problem. It's a dual axle and I use an equalizer hitch. Tow vehicle is a 2017 Tundra.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I had it built with an 88" interior height clearance as there is also an A/C unit which takes up some clearance height. I've not towed it in super high winds, but have in "normal" crosswinds with no problem. It's a dual axle and I use an equalizer hitch. Tow vehicle is a 2017 Tundra.
Trailer.jpg

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet rig. Ballpark, what did that cost you? Anything you would do differently?

$17,000. I wouldn't have done anything different really. It's a full aluminum frame with pretty much every option imaginable. And then after I got it i added a few extra touches they didn't offer at the factory. Option list below...

AXLE UPGRADE
Galvanized Axles
8 Ply Tires - Load D
ALUMINUM SPARE TIRE
6" Tongue Extension
88" Interior Height
RV SIDE DOOR W/WINDOW AND SCREEN DOOR UPGRADE
12VOLT TONGUE JACK
A-Frame Tongue W/ 2 5/16" Coupler
STABILIZER JACKS - PR
POLYBEAD FLOOR AND RAMPS
INSULATION
30AMP BOX WITH POWER CORD AND 3 RECEPTS
2 Additional Interior Recepts
OUTSIDE GFI RECEPT (W/30A ONLY)
ROOF AC W/ HEAT STRIP
24" ATP Kickplate
WINDOW W/SCREEN
E-track On Walls
3 Rows Per Wall and V-nose
E-track Recessed In Floor
3 Rows in Floor
RV Fold Out Step
BACK UP LIGHTS
4 Place Helmet Cabinet W/ Hanger
Rear Load Light (2 Total)
Front Load Lights
Load Light Next to Side Door
3 Way Switch For Int. Lights @
Front and Rear Ramps
Salem Vents (Pair)
AWNING - Driver Side
SPARE TIRE BOX
48" 110V LED Lights
2 Per Side At Front
2 Per Side At Rear
Individual Switches For Each Pair
Roof Vent
MaxAir Roof Vent Cover
Spare Tire Carrier - Curbside Rear
12V Battery and Box
(2) Separate Sets of 12V Wires Inside Cabinet
Series 06 Black Rims
Keep BAMS At Rear And Ramp
Front Ramp/Side Door Driver Side

Titan

WKR
I pull a 6x12 TA enclosed with the extra height behind a 1/2 ton truck. Been in high crosswinds...didn't notice any difference between the regular height enclosed and this one.

OP
P

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I had it built with an 88" interior height clearance as there is also an A/C unit which takes up some clearance height. I've not towed it in super high winds, but have in "normal" crosswinds with no problem.

Good to know. Thank you.

I pull a 6x12 TA enclosed with the extra height behind a 1/2 ton truck. Been in high crosswinds...didn't notice any difference between the regular height enclosed and this one.

Thanks, Titan. Do you use an equalizer hitch / sway bars? Or just hook it right on?

Seems like the beavertail might be more trouble than its worth possibly dragging on some forest service roads. Sounds like wind has not been too much of an issue yet with those guys that have the extra height. I think I'll go that route instead of the beaver tail.

Titan

WKR
Nothing special. Just a regular hitch. I do pay extra attention to weight distribution inside the trailer.

204guy

WKR
I don't think you'll have to much trouble with a 14'er. You going 8-8.5' wide? If it's a full size SXS you'll need to be a contortionist to get out of it in a 7' trailer. The one I'm converting right now is a 16' plus v at 8.5' wide. I think it's somewhere around 84" interior height, no beavertail. Not worried about sidewall height as I'm pulling with diesel. The way I approach it is it's a quick, warm & dry place to sleep "reasonably" close to where I'm hunting. I'll have the sxs to handle the rough roads.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I have a redneck camper, and I wouldn't have anything that lowers it. I live in western Montana and I drag mine down forest roads all the time and it bottoms out a lot. If anything, have them do a spring over axles swap, that way you can gain ground clearance. As for high winds, I've never had issues with it, and this spring I'm doing the axle flip, which should raise it about 3" and hopefully the rear aluminium piece below the doors will quit getting beat up.