End of June Minnesota trip

541hunter

WKR
My family and I are heading the the Burnsville area to visit my wife’s family at the end of the June. I have never been east of Wyoming. I’m looking for some ideas of fun things to do. We have a 2 year old and 9 year old that will be with us. I was thinking about maybe trying some walleye fishing. Are that any guides that are highly regarded in the vicinity?

Thanks for the help

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll probably have to go quite a ways north to get into any guided walleye fishing. There is some good hiking in the river valley national wildlife refuge. Lebanon hills park has some good trails as well. The MN zoo would be close by and is pretty good entertainment for kids. A boat rental on lake Minnetonka would be a lot of fun for a day. There are a lot of micro breweries if you are into that. They don’t usually serve food, but most will have a food truck parked outside.

Sandstrom

WKR
Minnetonka is a great fishery, I wouldn’t over look it for walleye or musky. I know there are plenty of guides that work that lake and several other local lakes. I have never had a guide around the twin cities, so I can’t recommend any personally. However if you look up The Griz, he is a famous mn guide, it would be pretty epic to fish with him! If you get the chance to head up to the north shore for a day or so, that is always fun, tons of places to hike and sight see all the way from Duluth to the Canadian border. You could always go out for a charter on Lake Superior for salmon and lake trout!

Hope this helps!
Ryan

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not outdoors related but the mall of America would be something worth seeing. Tons of things to do for the kids.

Valleyfair is close that would be fun for the kids. Minnesota biggest candy store in just south on 169, kids would love that. As far as fishing lake Mille lacs is well known in MN and has guides, Eddie's is the 1 I used. Good luck keeping any fish on that lake the DNR has the lake pretty screwed up. But you should catch some. If you want pretty much guarentee walleyes but it's a long drive lake of the woods is the walleye capital of the world. 1 little gem is lake pepin on the Mississippi. Speaking of Mississippi, it starts in MN would be fairly long drive 4-5 hours but would be a good way to see the land of 10,000 lakes.

If you're willing to drive an hour or so in any direction you should be able to find things to do. Fort Snelling is kind of interesting if you're into history, I don't know what's going on with the MN Science Museum with covid, but it would be worth checking out if that's your thing, there's the MN Zoo, Mall of America, Sea Life Aquarium at Mall of America. If you drive an hour you can get to Taylors Falls and Interstate park. I'd second the north shore and Lake Superior/Duluth if you can break away and are up for a road trip. Its takes about 2-3 hours of driving to get "Up North" and into the stuff you probably think of when you think of MN

johnsd16

WKR
As a Minnesotan for 34 years from birth to 2017, go see stuff in SD. Don’t spend a dime in that jacked up state. At least don’t spend any $$ in the twin cities metro. If you must see some stuff. The St. Croix river valley in Taylor’s falls area is pretty and low key.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Tonka has a pretty darn good walleye population right now thanks to the Westonka walleye program. Do that or grab a guide for a pool 2/3/4 trip on the Mississippi.

As a Minnesotan for 34 years from birth to 2017, go see stuff in SD. Don’t spend a dime in that jacked up state. At least don’t spend any $$ in the twin cities metro. If you must see some stuff. The St. Croix river valley in Taylor’s falls area is pretty and low key.
Sadly as a current Minnesotan I can't really contest the sentiment. I'm from the land of rocks and cows as our Governor put it and I'm at the point I wish Wisconsin would take the Twin Cities metro while we just split the north and south half of the state and let the Dakotas move their borders to WI.

260madman

WKR
Sadly as a current Minnesotan I can't really contest the sentiment. I'm from the land of rocks and cows as our Governor put it and I'm at the point I wish Wisconsin would take the Twin Cities metro while we just split the north and south half of the state and let the Dakotas move their borders to WI.
You can keep that Schmitt on the west side of the Mississippi. We don’t need anymore guilt ridden Scandanavians trying to feel sorry for laziness.

If I were going to Burnsville I would spend a day over in Stillwater. Skip MOA, it’s not what it was 10yrs ago especially with the Trial of the century thats going to happen. Could hit Mille Lacs for fishing. Depends how much driving you want to do for opportunities of entertainment.

260madman

WKR
Hit Duluth/Two Harbors and watch the freighters come in. You watch them online but it’s not the same as being there. You can watch the freighters get loaded with ore In Two Harbors. Bring warm clothes just in case. We had the East wind blow in and went from 75-50 in 1.5 hours and it stayed upper 40s to 50s for 4 days with 20 mph winds. Spectacular waves hitting the beach. If the weather is nice you can fish on the pier and catch salmon.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I love reading the responses from fellow realist outdoor Minnesotans on this thread.

Millelacs is only worth the drive if you really need to catch some MN eyes. If you’re in Burnsville Mille is about 2.5hrs away. You’ll catch Fish there but not be able to keep any (1 if it’s within their impossible Goldilocks slot).

I’d forego THAT drive though for a half day charter in Duluth. You’ll have fun scratching your mn fishing itch and the family can get a touristy taste of “up north”. Think of it as the Las Vegas version of MN, but instead of an overpriced Louis Vuitton store you have an overpriced Duluth Pack, and instead of mistreated show tigers you’ll probably see wild black bears around digging in garbage while you stumble home from a late night jazz club ;)

Attachments

• B6CF8A4C-7986-45B6-8B3D-156EEEE03146.jpeg
    B6CF8A4C-7986-45B6-8B3D-156EEEE03146.jpeg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
Thank you all for the great advice. I’m starting to look forward to this trip.

yeah, i would stay away from the mpls area with the trial going on but good suggestions above.

kpk

WKR
yeah, i would stay away from the mpls area with the trial going on but good suggestions above.

This is pretty legitimate concern. It's gonna be like last summer all over again.
I know they are doing jury selection now, any idea when the trial is supposed to actually get started?

I agree that what most people envision thinking of MN is north of Duluth. Tettegouche and Split Rock lighthouse are pretty cool if you have an entire day or two to burn and the 2 year old could handle the driving.

Red Wing is small historic river town that may interest you. I'm sure you could find a guide to fish the river out of there.

The zoos and the MOA aquarium or Seaquest are good and would be fun for the kids.

.....MN is also a mask stronghold so if you're not used to that - be prepared.

WCB

WKR
Avoid the cities like the plague or because of it.....

Duluth would be a good idea...I would recommend spending a night up there. Get a charter and catch some lake trout. Not the prettiest time to be in MN but there are good hiking trails a scenery up the North Shore.

As mentioned Mille Lacs is one of those Minnesota things people here can not just let die, I just don't get the allure. If you want to do some fishing there I would recommend getting a Muskie guide or fishing Small Mouth bass...Walleys are boring anyways. Otherwise as someone stated you can fish walleyes on the Mississippi.

Mall of America is a big Mall....again I don't get it. I'd rather do to Scheels in Eden Prairie.