Endurance: Shackleton's South Pole

Vaultman

WKR
I know there are many on here that have read and enjoyed Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. I heard about that book on this Forum and it was one of my favorite reads.

I know a lot of us on here are also podcast fans. If those are true about you, I'll recomend "Cautionary Tales: South Pole Race". It sheds some light on the explorations before Shackleton and had a lot of supporting info that I did not get from the book.

Here is the link for the first one (I think there are 3 or more) or of course you can find it on Spotify.

Whenever I’m freezing cold in a tree stand, I think about the voyages of Shackleton and Robert Falcon Scott. Sitting there pondering the suffering those men went through somehow warms me up and reminds me that I’m being a total pu$$y for shivering when it’s in the 30’s, and I’m completely dry with a belly full of food.

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
Whenever I’m freezing cold in a tree stand, I think about the voyages of Shackleton and Robert Falcon Scott. Sitting there pondering the suffering those men went through somehow warms me up and reminds me that I’m being a total pu$$y for shivering when it’s in the 30’s, and I’m completely dry with a belly full of food.
I've thought through that too while 'cold' when hunting.

TX_Diver

WKR
My wife is pretty much stuck in bed after having our latest kid yesterday. I put “Endurance” on her nightstand this morning and she started it today. Will see if she gets hooked before she becomes more mobile again in a few days!

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
The Brits fawn over the memory of Scott - a man who didn't bother to learn from those who live in such places, thus sealing the fate of his party through incompetence and arrogance.

Amundsen is hardly known compared to Scott, yet he skillfully and competently led his men to the South Pole and back, having learned from those who live in the coldest parts of the world.

Endurance was a great study on the fortitude of men. Incredible and miraculous feats of provision.

If you are a fan of the book, they located Endurance and there is video footage of her as she lies now, and footage of when she was trapped in the ice. Pretty incredible to view the vintage footage.

LostArra

WKR

Another great book for Endurance fans and any big game hunter that is rarely mentioned:

Alaskan-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young.

This book will challenge your perspective on what is a "tough hunt".

10 years ago it was difficult to even find the book but you can now read it for free on Google Books.
I used to have a hard copy but I loaned it to so many friends I don't know where it is now.

I listened to part 1 on the drive home last night. The host/narrator stretches the David and Goliath analogy a bit far IMO, but it was a good listen nonetheless. For those interested in the polar exploration era, The Last Viking (biography of Amundsen) is also a good read. It's not as good as Endurance but still a worthwhile read.

Similar mountain and sea exploration in early 1900’s (pre garmin, and generally pre-maps too) read stuff by Eric Shipton and Bill Tilman.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to part 1 on the drive home last night. The host/narrator stretches the David and Goliath analogy a bit far IMO, but it was a good listen nonetheless. For those interested in the polar exploration era, The Last Viking (biography of Amundsen) is also a good read. It's not as good as Endurance but still a worthwhile read.

I'll have to read it. I've read Lansing's book Endurance, but have always wanted to find a good Amundsen (my namesake's) read. I've been on the Fram in Oslo... men who did so much with so little.

JStol5

WKR
I started Lansing’s endurance during a slow shift yesterday. I read almost half of it in one day. Unbelievably gripping and inspiring book. The mental and physical fortitude of those men is stunning.