Energy Drink for Elk Hunting

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So I know the title of this post can be misleading but basically what I am asking is how many of you whether it be elk hunting in the back country or hiking or mule deer hunting sip on a mixture like a pre workout mix that gives you energy throughout the hunt? I currently use Scorch as a pre workout drink and it is amazing. It comes in powder form, mixes well and tastes great. It gives me energy all day it seems and doesn't make me jitter or sends me crashing when it comes down. So I have an elk hunt in NM this October and I thought about maybe taking it with me and mixing some up and just sip on it throughout the day. Thing is I have never used it when I haven't actually gone and worked out so I was not sure how I would be outside of that until the other day I took some while hanging around the house and doing odd and end things. Worked out very well. No bad side affects or anything. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion here on what they thought and perhaps other products to try. Thanks

Poser

WKR
I don’t use energy drinks very often, but I haven’t found any of them maintain any sense of output over a significant amount of time: 45 minutes or so tops. The benefit of them is when you are dragging ass and need a boost of energy to get motivated to get moving.

Key bumps of cocaine every so often would work great, though.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
well I guess phrasing it as an energy drink would not be the proper label for it like a redbull or monster drink. This stuff works all day.

Personally I would not put any drugs or chemicals into my body. I would say that if you can’t get yourself pumped up to go elk hunting then you are doing it wrong. Condition yourself for endurance in the pre-season, and rest a little during the hunt when things are slow and you shouldn’t need a boost.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
good grief. yall sure have taken this off the deep end. I do exercise and work out for endurance and I do get pumped for elk hunting but lets face it as we get older things hurt. hahaha. I mean come on. haha I just asked for drink ideas. Yes I drink coffee but I better find a good tree not long afterwards and coffee does nothing for me. I have been drinking coffee for way too long and heck no with drugs. ha

Poser

WKR
good grief. yall sure have taken this off the deep end. I do exercise and work out for endurance and I do get pumped for elk hunting but lets face it as we get older things hurt. hahaha. I mean come on. haha I just asked for drink ideas. Yes I drink coffee but I better find a good tree not long afterwards and coffee does nothing for me. I have been drinking coffee for way too long and heck no with drugs. ha

Coffee is a drug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I would think that you would want to keep things as "normal" as possible. If you wake up and chug some pre- workout in your every day life to get you going then do that when hunting. If you drink coffee and need to find a tree then so be it but do what your body is most used to. I drink a lot of water during the day at work and do the same hunting. Keeping in a routine makes hunting easier for me due to not shocking the system with a bunch of random trash. Ya I may hike more than I get in a usual day but drink some more water or train harder in the off season.

Maybe focus on the mid/tail end of your day vs the front end, look for a good recovery drink/food/etc to replenish throughout the day and especially at night vs something to get your through the day.

I'm the morning I have two packets of cafe bustello instant coffee with an oatmeal/protein shake mix.

After my mid-day nap, I like to mix a packet of emergen-c and a scoop of optimum nutrition (ON) Amino energy. Hydration + caffeine + bcaa's. Not so much caffeine as to be totally cracked out but enough for a boost, the bcaa's help with recovery, and the electrolytes help me to not wake up with a wicked hamstring cramp at night.

I'm the morning I have two packets of cafe bustello instant coffee with an oatmeal/protein shake mix.

After my mid-day nap, I like to mix a packet of emergen-c and a scoop of optimum nutrition (ON) Amino energy. Hydration + caffeine + bcaa's. Not so much caffeine as to be totally cracked out but enough for a boost, the bcaa's help with recovery, and the electrolytes help me to not wake up with a wicked hamstring cramp at night.

Amino Energy is good. I like AminoX by BSN too for a non-cafeinated option. This seems like the right mix!

You don’t drink coffee?

I drink 2 Nalgenes of water every day. Never tried coffee. Don’t drink alcohol, or use tobacco. I don’t even like to use ibuprofen. I’m 42 so I understand getting older. I last had caffeine in 1999. I just drink lots of water every day.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Caffeine pills are way cheaper than most other mixes/drinks and for me it seems the most effective, also lighter/faster. Mostly helpful for marathon drives or a long pack out.

I slam a serving of Mtn Ops Ignite with an Emergen C packet every morning when hunting and try to sleep good at night. Works well for me.

tdot

WKR
Make sure you can shoot your bow or rifle while you are on any type of energy supplement.

Personally I take the same supplements/vitamins into the backcountry that I use while training. My body and mind are used to it. I dont see a reason to not take it. Backcountry travel is typically even higher output level then any training day. So why wouldnt I look for the same benefits from those supplements while out on a hunt.