English Setter Breeder

Joe5000

FNG
Can anyone suggest an english setter breeder for a puppy or started dog? Prefer northeast but can travel for right dog. Prefer good temperment (house dog) with ability to hunt. Thanks

A big chunk of good cover dog & horseback shooting dog lines come from the NE. Start lurking on grouse dog trial forums. If willing to invest in something special, look up Jerry Kolter/Northwoods Bird Dogs. He'll point you toward who has what where.

Michael54

WKR
Can anyone suggest an english setter breeder for a puppy or started dog? Prefer northeast but can travel for right dog. Prefer good temperment (house dog) with ability to hunt. Thanks
The northeast has 2 styles of setters. Trial dogs and appalachian style dogs. One style you need rockets on your feet to keep up with and the other style is more of a close hunting grouse style dog. Depends on what you're looking for

wildcat33

WKR

No personal experience with these folks, but you may consider Paint River Llewellins. Beautiful dogs, and bred for the NE.

Good luck. Setters are the finest dogs a man could have, but Im partial.

Zew

FNG
A big chunk of good cover dog & horseback shooting dog lines come from the NE. Start lurking on grouse dog trial forums. If willing to invest in something special, look up Jerry Kolter/Northwoods Bird Dogs. He'll point you toward who has what where.
Jerry gets my vote. I've spent a bit of time with him working dogs. He's one of a kind. So are his dogs.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Paint river has arguably the best Llewellins setters in the country right now

WRO

WKR
We've got a lot of good dogs in the mtn west.

Circle B, Robertson kennels, Todd Marriott, and Talmadge Smedley are all very well known. Robertson and Marriott both have great litters on the ground.

Bruce sooter has really good dogs out of Oklahoma as well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OMB

WKR
Paint river has arguably the best Llewellins setters in the country right now
*Paint River has arguably the best Llewellin setters on Instagram right now.

I've been around some of their dogs, they're good, but there's a half dozen other kennels within 250 miles of them that are kicking out grouse dogs just as good. I've been fortunate to hunt behind some truly great setters from equal bloodlines with simple names that social media will never see sticking a point, but that's just my two cents.

I picked up my current setter from a private breeder out of Michigan that's a couple generations removed from a Jerry Kolter litter, she shows great promise at 10 months, but I'm really hesitant to start beating my chest about an ES until around year 3. I've seen too many that have turned into absolute studs around year 4 and vice versa at this point.

For anyone reading this thread looking for a breeder: most reputable grouse dog kennels are booking like sheep hunts unless you have an in, it could be a 2-3 year wait. We lucked into our newest dog via word of mouth through a contact we made through Facebook of all places.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with your statement to a point as well.. I live in Michigan and bought from a different breeder. I don't think you need to spend $2400 to get a great bird dog. I do respect the dedication Kyle from paintriver has to the breed itself. He has an excellent breeding and training program but so do alot of other people.

Attachments

• 20211109_160959.jpg
    20211109_160959.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 10

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
There is definitely a few varieties of hunting setters to choose from. Do you an idea of what type of setter you want?