Enlighten me on scope tracking error

rkramer

FNG
I understand the concept of errors in scope tracking but I need help understanding the details. For example, adjusting from a zero to 12 MOA and returning to zero. Can you measure a percent error from doing it once or do many adjustments have to be made?

Or another example, will there be a higher percent tracking error if a scope is dialed to 12 MOA and back to zero ten times compared to only doing it once? So is important to limit turret adjustment when possible? Obviously I know it depends on each scope, but just looking to understand it a little better.

Also, some tracking tests go from ex. (101, 100, 101, 99). Just curious of what those numbers actually mean and why they sometimes inconsistently fluctuate?

Thanks in advance.

I understand the concept of errors in scope tracking but I need help understanding the details. For example, adjusting from a zero to 12 MOA and returning to zero. Can you measure a percent error from doing it once or do many adjustments have to be made?
If it was off once i'd definitely verify it. Pretty easy to re-test if you're static mounting a scope, more difficult to get repeatable results if you're shooting.

Or another example, will there be a higher percent tracking error if a scope is dialed to 12 MOA and back to zero ten times compared to only doing it once?
Only if your scope is trash to a degree that you shouldn't trust it for hunting anyway.

Also, some tracking tests go from ex. (101, 100, 101, 99). Just curious of what those numbers actually mean and why they sometimes inconsistently fluctuate?
Frank Galli's explanation: "A scope that tracked 99% moved the reticle 9.9 Mils when the optic was dialed to 10 Mils. A scope that tracks 101% moved the reticle 10.1 Mils when 10 Mils was dialed on. Scopes can vary in both directions."