Enlightened Equipment 2019 Update

ljalberta

WKR
Enlightened Equipment is greatly increasing the amount of down fill in 2019. From the website... "30% overstuff on all down quilts: We’re moving from our previous 10% overstuff to a 30% overstuff across the board on all our down quilts and sleeping bags. This means all our down products will have 30% more down filling than they technically need for a given temperature rating. The change to 30% overstuff is geared toward minimizing the likelihood of down migration during use."

This has been my biggest gripe about EE quilts - the lack of down fill that often leads to cold spots and needing to constantly take time to distribute the down. Great to see them responding to consumer feedback after they removed the over-fill option. Now to decide to order new quilts or just send mine in to someplace to be topped up...

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I'm glad they have finally admitted the problem and added more down. Sucks for all the pre 2019 cold quilt oqners. I sent my quilt in for $60 more down and now it is alot closer to the degree rating.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm glad they have finally admitted the problem and added more down. Sucks for all the pre 2019 cold quilt oqners. I sent my quilt in for $60 more down and now it is alot closer to the degree rating.
Depends on how cold of a sleeper you are. I have a 20 degree Revelation and have never been cold in it down to the low 20s. Just means they'll be a little heavier now, but should quieten the complaints.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider

Did you send it back to them? Interested in doing the same.

sneaky

"DADDY"
good for 2019

crap, I ordered my quilt on Nov16, it just shipped this week and due delivery today (saturaday) :mad:
You may have an updated one anyways. Have you asked them directly?

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
You may have an updated one anyways. Have you asked them directly?

It says the website "the change is effective on custom down products purchased on or after January 2nd, 2019. For stock products, we will have most updated to 30% overstuff on January 2nd, 2019 as well, with the remaining few products updated within a couple weeks."

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Did you send it back to them? Interested in doing the same.
Yes I emailed them specs of my quilt and they replied with options to add fill and a prepaid return label. I had the max amount added and have been alot warmer since.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
Nunatek will add down to your quilt if EE no longer offers that service.

nickstone

WKR
Just emailed them my specs to see if I can get a bit more fill.

I was noticing bare spots in my quilt no matter how much I gently smoothed the down around by hand, a little looking around online showed that several other folks were having similar issues with their EE quilts.

I emailed EE probably about 2 months ago and was told they no longer offer the service of adding down.

Nunatek and Rainy Pass Repair offer down adding services, I have not decided if I want to keep my quilt and have down added, or just sell it.

This is nice that they are offering more down to future customers, but its ridiculous for people who have previously bought items from them. Obviously it was a pretty common problem if they decided to add 30% more down to their quilts.

Because of their failure to stand behind their previously made items I will never buy an EE product again.

Last edited:

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I was noticing bare spots in my quilt no matter how much I gently smoothed the down around by hand, a little looking around online showed that several other folks were having similar issues with their EE quilts.

I emailed EE probably about 2 months ago and was told they no longer offer the service of adding down.

Nunatek and Rainy Pass Repair offer down adding services, I have not decided if I want to keep my quilt and have down added, or just sell it.

This is nice that they are offering more down to future customers, but its ridiculous for people who have previously bought items from them. Obviously it was a pretty common problem if they decided to add 30% more down to their quilts.

Because of their failure to stand behind their previously made items I will never buy an EE product again.

Will see what they say with my email.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I sent an email as well, for my quilt just received on Saturday.
holding it up to window, was shocked how little down fill was present. lots of spots, sections had no down at all!!

yep, let's see what EE responses will be....

- - - Updated - - -

received a response from EE customer service, in short I am SOL.

they provided this link as a reasoning for the now 2019 30% overstuff.
Overstuffing and temperature ratings, demystified – Enlightened Equipment Support

great, Had I known, would have waited to order as I won't be using this new quilt until June>October 2019
thought I was buying from a take care of you USA mfg company.
nope, SOL
so I and 2 friends won't be buying any more EE merchandise. We'll move to other companies. There goes my EE bivy purchase planned for March.

- - - Updated - - -

Will see what they say with my email.

hope you have better luck/service with EE than I did...

Last edited:

nickstone

WKR
holding it up to window, was shocked how little down fill was present. lots of spots, sections had no down at all!!

- - - Updated - - -

Overstuffing and temperature ratings, demystified – Enlightened Equipment Support

great, Had I known, would have waited to order as I won't be using this new quilt until June>October 2019
nope, SOL
so I and 2 friends won't be buying any more EE merchandise. We'll move to other companies. There goes my EE bivy purchase planned for March.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you within the window to just return it and get something from a better company? Or was is a custom item and they will knock you 20% for returning it

Yes I emailed them specs of my quilt and they replied with options to add fill and a prepaid return label. I had the max amount added and have been alot warmer since.

Thank you! Sending one in as well now!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

nope, SOL

- - - Updated - - -

So they won’t fill it with more down if you send it back in? Was planning on sending them mine. I’d pay the ~$60 or so as mentioned above, but wish they’d do a “deal” if they are sort of admitting to a mistake ...

nickstone

WKR
Thank you! Sending one in as well now!

- - - Updated - - -

So they won’t fill it with more down if you send it back in? Was planning on sending them mine. I’d pay the ~$60 or so as mentioned above, but wish they’d do a “deal” if they are sort of admitting to a mistake ...
EE no longer offers the service of adding down to their previously made product no matter how much you offer to pay them.

EE no longer offers the service of adding down to their previously made product no matter how much you offer to pay them.

I was told this same thing a few months ago. When I bought my quilt I was on the fence about temp. So, I ordered one with the idea that that I could send it back in if I decided I wanted some more fill. Then, a few months later they tell me they're no longer offering the service. Now, less than a year later they're doing a 30% overstuff....

Needless to say, I'm a little miffed. Kinda feel like they pulled the rug out from under me. Gonna make it real hard buying more stuff from them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I really like my EE quilt, but this is a terrible look for them to not take care of their previous customers. There's too many other companies making quilts, seems like they are burning a few bridges. My next one is gonna come from Nunatak because they'll make you exactly what you want and they have some great gear.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
I really like my EE quilt, but this is a terrible look for them to not take care of their previous customers. There's too many other companies making quilts, seems like they are burning a few bridges. My next one is gonna come from Nunatak because they'll make you exactly what you want and they have some great gear.

I would certainly agree. I also like my EE quilt, other than the fact it's under-filled for my uses. I'll be sending two of them off to have Nunatak add additional down shortly. Like yourself, my next quilt will likely not come from EE. Part of it is I think they have lost much of their pricing advantage with steady price increases over the past 2 years. The price differential for a product with additional features such as having a differential cut (Katabatic or Nunatek) has shrunk significantly. That being said I still like the product and I can understand why EE stopped offering down refilling/tops ups and has increased prices, and I wish them the best - especially as a site sponsor.