Enlightened Equipment 2019 Update

I went to their website on my phone navigating right now, but I don’t see anything where they mention they are now overfilling more in 2019. Is my “search-fu” bad, or did they delete the info?? Can’t believe they won’t overfill a previously purchased bag or quilt for a cost ... that’s baffling to me.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR

ianpadron

WKR
Dammit!

This past October I had my quilt go "flat" in Idaho and realized how little down was actually in there.

0 degree quilt, and it always keeps me warm, but now it looks like I should have 30% more.

G dang it!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I ordered an Enigma 10 degree quilt in December (instead of a 20 degree as I’m a cold sleeper and I was aware of their ratings being off). After reading this I’m now on the fence if I should call them to see if I can get more down fill before my quilt is manufactured and shipped. Hmm...

As a first time EE customer the fact that they aren’t willing to add more down if I send my quilt in is disappointing.

I find it interesting they chose to overstuff their current design with 30% more down instead of increasing the baffle size to allow for more loft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
I picked up their lowest temp rated quilt last summer, to be used to hunt this year in late October (Idaho). Had a foot of snow. Spend some pretty miserable nights in the hammock, related directly to the voids in the baffles of the quilt. It did warm up quite a bit by the 4th night though so I finally got a decent sleep. Just shine a light on the other side of the baffles and you can practically read a book through the quilt. I ended fluffing it for 5 to 10 minutes each night before bed and that helped but there were still some voids. Was planning on cold camping this winter with it but I'll figure something else out.

I'll see if I send it back, if they'll add more fill. I'm expecting to pay but I won't use it again the way it is. The down hood was nice! It's great they're putting more fill in them although I'm wondering after all this time, why have they been 30% shy.

Mike 338

WKR
I really like my EE quilt, but this is a terrible look for them to not take care of their previous customers. There's too many other companies making quilts, seems like they are burning a few bridges. My next one is gonna come from Nunatak because they'll make you exactly what you want and they have some great gear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gotta say, freezing in my new EE 2018 quilt last season was bad enough but hearing that they decided to add a huge amount of fill, so the next guy doesn't freeze, just makes mad. I'll simmer down by tomorrow though. Like buying a hamburger and you lift the bun and see a the patty is the size of the pickle and the guy next in line gets a real burger.

I find it interesting they chose to overstuff their current design with 30% more down instead of increasing the baffle size to allow for more loft.

The complaints were the down not filling the baffles sufficiently and having migrating down/voids and less resistance to loft reducing conditions. Enlarging the baffles would have made the problem worse.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
"...As a first time EE customer the fact that they aren’t willing to add more down if I send my quilt in is disappointing..."

the above is how I feel....
Test: just used my NEW 20deg EE quilt on deer hunt in Cibola AZ area. Night temps were in the low 40's. I was cold first two nights, sleeping with merino on. Switched to my regular 20 bag deg Sea2Summit and was toasty.

bhylton

WKR
company takes user feedback, improves there product and people are not happy.... i don't understand.

i get the disappointment surrounding the loss of retroactive over-stuff service. But when product improvements/ changes are made, there are always going to be people who made purchases right before the changes take place. its unavoidable.

also just my opinion, but if your freezing at night when its significantly warmer than our quilt rating.... idk that going from last years 10% overfill to this years 30% overfill is going to save you.... you might just be one of those "a quilt is not for me" folks....

The complaints were the down not filling the baffles sufficiently and having migrating down/voids and less resistance to loft reducing conditions. Enlarging the baffles would have made the problem worse.

I completely agree. I was meaning that it was clear they were addressing an under stuffing problem and not a target loft issue.

Mike 338

WKR
company takes user feedback, improves there product and people are not happy.... i don't understand.

i get the disappointment surrounding the loss of retroactive over-stuff service. But when product improvements/ changes are made, there are always going to be people who made purchases right before the changes take place. its unavoidable.

also just my opinion, but if your freezing at night when its significantly warmer than our quilt rating.... idk that going from last years 10% overfill to this years 30% overfill is going to save you.... you might just be one of those "a quilt is not for me" folks....

I guess I worded it poorly. First couple nights were in the low teens, whereby I had issues. Bottom quilt seemed fine. Top didn't. Things warmed up to the low thirty's-ish later in the week. Not sure about a quilt not being for me, but when you fluff the heck out of it and still have voids, is that for anyone? I've already reached out to get more fill and like I said, I'm expecting to pay. Just annoyed at the tap dance when apparently, rating or no rating, they needed more fill. 10% more last year and 30% more this year. Maybe I don't know which end is up but it sounds to me like maybe they were underfilled to begin with.

nickstone

WKR
Here is a quality mountain hardware down bag spread flat to show light straight out of a sack. I have to spread the down away and press it against the glass to let light through. Which would you have more confidence in?

Attachments

• IMG_3981.JPG
    IMG_3981.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3982.JPG
    IMG_3982.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 37

Mike 338

WKR
I reached out to EE to see about getting more fill. They replied that they no longer do overfills and recommended two other companies that provide such a service. Normally I'd be fine with that however the one company that I checked with doesn't use the same quality of down, nor is it treated for water resistance. Haven't talked to the other company yet but they have a slightly less "professional" look to their storefront/website so I'm not optimistic. Maybe I can find a company to sell me some down and I can ship it with the quilt. Of course, I can always buy another quilt with the upgraded fill specs or just take along more insulated sleeping clothes. More than one way to skin a cat I guess.

Trial153

WKR
I almost think your first loss is your best loss if you feel like you need additional fill in your current EE. What I mean by that is if they are not willing to work with you for a reasonable resolution you might be better off selling the quilt vs investing more money into it with a third party. Figuring in the cost of the materials, labor and shipping both ways. Your Tossing good money after bad. I would sell the EE as there is robust secondary market for them in some classifieds and on Ebay. Then buy a different quilt that suits you better and meets expectations. If I was in that situation EE would be consideration however they would be going into it with a couple strikes against them vs the competition.

All that said I have a 20 degree synthetic insulated Apex EE that I am happy with.

Mike 338

WKR
I almost think your first loss is your best loss if you feel like you need additional fill in your current EE. What I mean by that is if they are not willing to work with you for a reasonable resolution you might be better off selling the quilt vs investing more money into it with a third party. Figuring in the cost of the materials, labor and shipping both ways. Your Tossing good money after bad. I would sell the EE as there is robust secondary market for them in some classifieds and on Ebay. Then buy a different quilt that suits you better and meets expectations. If I was in that situation EE would be consideration however they would be going into it with a couple strikes against them vs the competition.

All that said I have a 20 degree synthetic insulated Apex EE that I am happy with.

That sounds like good advice. I've just never been one of those guys who actively sells his old stuff. I usually wear it out till it's threadbare or donate it. One lightly used quilt would probably sell fairly quickly though. Synthetic would be my first choice were it not for the lack of compressability. Still may go that route though.

nickstone

WKR
I reached out to EE to see about getting more fill. They replied that they no longer do overfills and recommended two other companies that provide such a service. Normally I'd be fine with that however the one company that I checked with doesn't use the same quality of down, nor is it treated for water resistance. Haven't talked to the other company yet but they have a slightly less "professional" look to their storefront/website so I'm not optimistic. Maybe I can find a company to sell me some down and I can ship it with the quilt. Of course, I can always buy another quilt with the upgraded fill specs or just take along more insulated sleeping clothes. More than one way to skin a cat I guess.
What company were you looking into having add fill?

Mike 338

WKR
What company were you looking into having add fill?

Rainy Pass or The Repair Lair are the two companies recommended. Rainy Pass is the one I looked into however just checked out their website. It mentions the quality of fill they use on their FAQ page.