Enlightened Equipment Length???

So I am 6’3”

I order an EE Convert cutom in Apex. I ordered 30 degree. XWide and Long. Showed up within 5 weeks.

The EE specs say it should be 84 long, 70 wide at the top and 42 wide at the bottom.
Convert – Enlightened Equipment

My actual quilt is about 78-79 long and 70/42 lying flat on the ground.

I contacted EE CS. They were quick to respond to email. They say the dimensions don’t take into account fill (they are based on raw fabric cut). So I have to stretch the quilt to measure properly and if I do that it comes to about 83 inches.

I based my order in part on the length of my current mummy thinking I could pull the extra length over my head as a sort of hood. Given the actual length of the quilt, that just barely works and not well.

So - question for you EE owners -are your quilts true to dimensions or are they short when measured without stretch? Are they true when stretched?

It is just odd to me that the widths are spot on and the length is off so much and happens to be the same length as a regular is advertised at ~78 inches.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Quilts aren't designed to be pulled over your head either. By your own admission when you stretched it out it met their specs. I have a wide/ long, I am 6'3" and it's fine for me. I wear a fleece cap to sleep in. If in doubt, always ask before you purchase, not after.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
Quilts aren't designed to be pulled over your head either. By your own admission when you stretched it out it met their specs. I have a wide/ long, I am 6'3" and it's fine for me. I wear a fleece cap to sleep in. If in doubt, always ask before you purchase, not after.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sure. Setting aside varying sleep styles and how I may intend to use the thing for a moment. It is shorter than I want. I ordered based on the specs thinking I would get an 84” “finished length”. What I got was 6 inches shorter and an Admittedly reasonable explanation about the manufacturing process and the resulting 78” finished length. Reasonable but not what I expected based on their published info.

Any chance you can do me a favor and put a tape measure on your long quilt laying flat and tell me how long it is? What I am really trying to confirm is the unstretched length of a long convert quilt without stretching it.

Perhaps I am a little bit suspicious but this situation is similar to something I ran into with another gear company where one of their reps tried to convince me that the boots I bought were actually mislabeled wides when they weren’t marked wides and fit more narrowly than the pair of the same boots I bought from them earlier that year.

Call me crazy but if you publish specs for a piece of gear then it may be a bit misleading to require your customer to clamp it in a vice and stretch it out in order to measure it. If that is how things get measured then I just gained a few inches in some other places. :cool:

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the EE Revelation. I tend to move around and flop side-to-side when I sleep and wanted extra room so I wasn't restricted. I am 5'10" and got the XW and XL. For me it's perfect and I would feel constrained with it any smaller.

If you are motionless, like a mummy, when you sleep then the extra size may not be needed.

snowplow

WKR
Feel your pain. Exact same for me l assume. My quilt (not ee) came like 10 inches or so shorter than l expected. Didnt notice or put a tape on it until l was selling it because it didnt work for me.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
So. Following up for posterity. After a few messages to EE CS they do clearly disclose at the top of their specs page (not the main product page) that the dimensions are for the “unstuffed” product. They also disclose at the top of the specs page that the convert design, which has basically a draw string foot box, loses 4-6” when closed in bag mode. I missed both of these notes because when you start scrolling to the longer sizes this info quickly scrolls off the top of the page.

So, my bad for not reading the fine print...I guess. I do think EE could make this a lot more clear on their sight.

Live and learn.

My first impression is the quilt and bag are shorter than I expected especially in “sleeping bag” mode with the foot box closed. Apart from that it looks like a solid piece of kit and meets or exceeds all other expectations. I am going to run it and see how it works.