Enough Room For Food?

I ordered a Marshall. I don’t want to chance it. I actually had the Marshall and Beartooth so that I could pack them both and see which worked best, but I returned the Marshall because it was huge…but again, I didn’t have food packed. I eat like a horse and I don’t want to ration so I’ll get both side by side again and I’ll either return it if I feel the Marshall is too big again, or I’ll sell one of the frames so I can have both bags.
I think you would have been fine. The Marshall is a bigger bag can they can be compressed down very easy with all the straps. I ran the Marshall for several years but really did not like it’s weight or pocket layout. It is bomb proof though. I can’t speak for the newer ones outsourced overseas.

Stalker69

WKR
Are you saying that line has your stove, tent, bag or quilt, sleeping pad, clothes, jackets, water, water filter system, etc. Every thing but your food ? That bag must be way way bigger then it looks, i mean it must be huge ?

OP
R

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
I think you would have been fine. The Marshall is a bigger bag can they can be compressed down very easy with all the straps. I ran the Marshall for several years but really did not like it’s weight or pocket layout. It is bomb proof though. I can’t speak for the newer ones outsourced overseas.
The Marahall isn’t too much heavier than the Beartooth (7.1 lbs vs 6.7). From the little experience I have with the Marshall I actually prefer the layout. We’ll see how it goes when I have both side by side again. One thing I did not consider when I was packing them was how much room I had left in the straps for packing out meat on the shelf.

Are you saying that line has your stove, tent, bag or quilt, sleeping pad, clothes, jackets, water, water filter system, etc. Every thing but your food ? That bag must be way way bigger then it looks, i mean it must be huge ?
Correct, I had almost everything packed in there. I’ve added a few clothing items and a possibles kit, but those aren’t in the main compartment. Almost everything was able to fit in the lid and the outer compartments.

tdot

WKR
For clothing I'm bringing a raincoat and pants, puffer jacket, jogger sweatpants to wear as a mid layer, FL fuse base layers (on me), FL Kiln Shirt, extra pair of wool socks in case I get wet, gloves and beanie.

If those sweatpants are cotton, I would strongly suggest you find something synthetic to replace them.

When calculating fuel useage. Dont forget to screw on/off the stove to the bottle. There is fuel lost there and on those trips where your useage uses the majority of the bottle, that small extra useage can throw off your totals.

OP
R

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
If those sweatpants are cotton, I would strongly suggest you find something synthetic to replace them.

When calculating fuel useage. Dont forget to screw on/off the stove to the bottle. There is fuel lost there and on those trips where your useage uses the majority of the bottle, that small extra useage can throw off your totals.
Excellent points, thank you. I didn’t consider fuel loss in the stove connection. The sweat pants are polyester so not worries about moisture there. I use them a lot for deer hunting out east here because they a pretty tapered/slim fit and fit well under my outer pants.

I like you am doing a backpack hunt in the first rifle season of Colorado. Here are some of the things that I have discovered while doing some experimenting here in PA. I am using a MR Metcalf this year for the first time which is close to the size you are using.

First it is a good thing that you are sorting out what you will need and fit into your pack now in lieu of when you are scheduled to leave.

Second...are you going out and fully away from either a base camp or your truck for the whole 10 days? We are setting a base camp up in as far as we can drive then backpacking in further maybe 5 miles. We have decided that three days for the first leg with the ability to visit base camp to refuel for food and hopefully bring elk parts back.

I am attaching my tent to the bottom of the outside of my pack along with a day pad for napping....that opens up room within your pack bag.

I am also placing my rain gear, game bags, kill kit, stove and fuel between my bag and frame in the overload shelf of the pack. That also provides room within your bag.

Be sure to search out a Pack list within these forums for good ideas on what to bring.....I have started with my list and have whittled it down considerably since I started. Also....this is my first time hunting from a spike camp.....sounds easy but not so sure...that's why I am limiting myself as to how far and long I am going. If all goes well this year then I will extend the trip the following year accordingly.

Good luck and have fun!