Enough

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to finalize my layering system for upcoming sheep hunt,this is what I’ve come up with at this point . Any feedback is greatly appreciated
chugach top & bottoms
LPP
nunutak 2.5 puffy pants
FL L/S base layer top
peleton 97 hoodie
peleton zip off bottoms
attach pants
should add this is for last ten days of august in the alaska range
please don’t hesitate to make any suggestions

tdot

WKR
I didn't have the exact layers you do, but similar and I was pretty good in early August in Northern BC last year. I would have packed more for late August/ early September, though the LPP is likely warmer then my ultralight down, so you might be ok.

Can you layer all of those layers under your Chugach?

Last edited:
OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
no problem getting the chuqach over the LPP,was considering adding a 240 vest for little more flexibility as well as warmth.

Looks pretty decent to me. I do like hoods on top and you have them. Good luck on the hunt!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Glassing mitts. Sometimes late August you can get some hellacious snowstorms

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Have pair EE mitts planning on throwing those in as well as a pair of mechanics fast fit ,believe marine4life said they worked well for him

bates

WKR
Looks solid, i have or plan to hunt sheep in basically all those items at one point.

I wore the 97 in early august in the brooks and taking one again this August.

but maybe you might want to have a heavier weight hoody on standby if the weather turns cooler?

I'm not familiar as what to expect in the Alaskan Range that time of the year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own several of the same items (or damn similar) and I'd say it looks pretty good :)

The Peloton 97 layers weigh so little and are so versatile, it's a no brainer to bring them.

I don't own a LPP, but do own a Nunatak Apex jacket which is very similar and own the same insulated pants you have. Both have served me very well.

The one thing I would consider adding is a windshirt; sheep hunting (any mountain hunting for that matter) there is generally a lot of hiking involved- the windshirt is just a great (and lightweight) layer to add if you need a little more warmth, protection from wind or even light precipitation while on the move. I find mine handy as well when glassing too (to layer over the top).

Solid line up from my limited experience. One thing I would suggest is two short sleeve merino tees to wear under your LS base layer. When one gets wet from a climb then swap it out with the dry one. It will help keep you from getting chilled when glassing. Don’t forget some kind of beenie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bambistew

WKR
I pack/wear the following, none are really name brand of any sort.
polypro t-shirt + one extra
mid-weight merino long sleeve shirt
light fleece pull-over
light weight puffy vest
puffy jacket with hood
one extra underwear
2x extra socks and liners
fast drying nylon type hiking pants
rain gear top and bottoms
A fleece ball cap (my favorite piece of gear)
Fleece beanie
2x pair of gloves, one light one mid-weight. Fast drying

I've thought about puffy pants or thermal bottoms, but have never needed or really wanted them in August. If I get cold I'll put on my rain pants. I've hunted the Alaska, Chugach, Talkeetnas, and Brooks Ranges for sheep and caribou dozens of times in August and have never wanted more. Once September rolls in, I'll bring thermal bottoms, and maybe a thermal top instead of an extra t-shirt, otherwise no other changes for a 10-12 day hunt.

Good luck on your hunt!

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies,will try and put up the entire list this weekend including equipment.Silex got here yesterday and received shipping email from kifaru this morning for the ultra light frame.hopefully I haven’t missed anything .
Good luck to all of the hunters going out this year be safe and hopefully successful. Thanks again Billy

The one thing I would consider adding is a windshirt; sheep hunting (any mountain hunting for that matter) there is generally a lot of hiking involved- the windshirt is just a great (and lightweight) layer to add if you need a little more warmth, protection from wind or even light precipitation while on the move. I find mine handy as well when glassing too (to layer over the top).

This. I wore a Houdini wind shirt a bunch on my lone dall hunt. For less than 4 ounces it was worth it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear mine literally all year round. Literally the most versatile item of clothing I own AND for a few ounces :)

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I screwed the pooch on the wind shirt can’t seem to find one in my size to be here in time for my trip. Will keep looking,maybe I’ll luck up and find one.