Entry level kayak.

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I'm new to duck hunting and don't want to drop a bunch of coin on a full boat yet. I have been doing some research and seen people using kayaks as a blind as well. What would be a good entry level kayak for this purpose? I'm 6'3 and 270lbs. So I know options are limited. Thanks all.

Anything you can find longer than 10'...CL, FB market place wherever..dont worry about color spray paint is cheap...given your build I would get at least an 11' one. I am 6'3" 195 and depending on the weather/water conditiins my 10' can be a bit sketcy, especially when loaded with overnight gear. Floating gun case is a must...you will tip it over...just a matter of time. You can always tie a decoy sled to the back to keep weight down.

Fordguy

WKR
Look at the lifetime sportfisher. Its a sit on top- that's the downside. Puts you up higher. But, it's not too heavy, has a 500 lb weight capacity (iirc) it's only ten ft long and it's very hard to tip. Tunnel Hull design.

Moserkr

WKR
For the nicer ones, they cost more than my old 14’ jon boat did, and weighed about the same with motor separate. I do have lifetime kayaks for the wife and I though, and at 10’ / 50lbs, im comfortable in them. You are a bit bigger than me, but I put my 100 lb chessie on it before and paddled across a big lake more than once. A bit sketchy but it was warm and we werent hunting. Ive also taken those kayaks out ocean fishing and they performed amazing considering the conditions. Can find em for $2-300 used or new sometimes.

Gotta say though, a 12’ aluminum boat with a 9.9hp is really nice…

Depends on where you live, on the coast in ca. there are tons of used kayaks and we fish the ocean in them a lot. I started on a used cobra fish n dive and it was crazy stable and if I remember right it had a 500lb capacity. I could stand and cast on it. Usually you can get one for a few hundred $. They’re pretty heavy but indestructible and with a set of wheels it’s pretty easy to handle alone. If you’re not in an area where there’s a lot of ocean fishing kayaks ascend from cabelas make pretty good looking kayaks that would work well. The lawn chair type seats on those are much more comfortable than the old style pads. Try to get something with a high weight capacity (500lbs), by the time you add gear, camo, etc you’ll be riding low in a typical 325lb capacity kayaks and the bigger kayak is going to be way more stable.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on where you live, on the coast in ca. there are tons of used kayaks and we fish the ocean in them a lot. I started on a used cobra fish n dive and it was crazy stable and if I remember right it had a 500lb capacity. I could stand and cast on it. Usually you can get one for a few hundred $. They’re pretty heavy but indestructible and with a set of wheels it’s pretty easy to handle alone. If you’re not in an area where there’s a lot of ocean fishing kayaks ascend from cabelas make pretty good looking kayaks that would work well. The lawn chair type seats on those are much more comfortable than the old style pads. Try to get something with a high weight capacity (500lbs), by the time you add gear, camo, etc you’ll be riding low in a typical 325lb capacity kayaks and the bigger kayak is going to be way more stable.
I'm in Washington so also coastal but I checked Facebook market and there isn't many used kayaks. Do you do anything to them to go out on the ocean? Like to make them more stable?

I don’t think you’d need to do anything to it but Ive seen some guys make or buy outrigger pontoons, usually a bigger kayak like the cobra fish n dive is plenty stable by itself though. I have a Hobie outback now and is also stable and with the pedal drive it is way faster and easier to get off shoreAnd works great for trolling but way more $. I’ve thought about taking it hunting in Morro Bay for Brandt geese but haven’t done it yet.