Entry level long range hunter questions

I've been deer hunting in IA for over 20 years now. Shooting MLs out to 200yds is as long range as I've ever been. Nothing too complicated when shooting that distance.

I purchased a Browning X-bolt Stalker Long Range in 300 win mag topped with a Vortex 5-20x50 Rage. I'm wanting to challenge my hunting skills and do some hunting out west. I love the adventure that area brings. I'm also looking to become the best shooter I can so I don't miss out on any opportunities when hunting out west. I also am looking forward to some fun long range sessions shooting at paper. A guy always needs a new hobby right? Last night was my second time at the range with the rifle. I've purchased some cheap PPU soft points in 180 grains hoping to use them on the range and then once I get things fine tuned I'd switch over to my hunting rounds to dial things in real close.

I've been slightly disappointed in the grouping the gun gets at 200yds. I'm shooting off a lead sled with a rock solid rest. I'm confident in my trigger squeezes. I know I can improve my breathing but I take my time with each shot taking/releasing new breaths as needed. I'm shooting about 10-15 rounds in an hour so I don't think my barrel is getting over heated?? What I found with the cheap PPU ammo is I could get about a 7-8" group at 200yds. Which seems really awful, even the cheap ammo should group better than that right? I cleaned the barrel with a dry run through with a bore snake (I should've taken more care to use some cleaning solvent with the bore snake I'm sure) Then shot a three shot group with Remington Accu-tip 180gr and got a 3" group. So with the 'better' ammo the group got better but still, I'd think this rifle should produce a 1-2" group at most at 200yds?

I'm about 20-25 round into this gun, it's had a bore snake ran through it three times in total. At some point these groups should be tightening up shouldn't they? I'm hesitant to go to 400 or 500 yds and really be lost with a wide scattered group. I've never broken in a gun barrel before but I've also only shot MLs and at pretty close ranges. Any tips for a rookie are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) Grab a chronograph (ex: MagnetoSpeed) to get actual velocities. Comes in handy when shooting further.
2) Scrap the lead sled. Shoot off a front (ex: bipod) and rear rest.
3) Rifles do not shoot all ammo equally well and price is not necessarily reflective of the actual groups your rifle is capable of. My 30-06 will shoot just about all commercial ammo in 1" group at 100 yards. My old 300 WM would shoot 180 gr TTX in a .45" group at 100 yards but other commercial ammo would look like a shotgun pattern.

Nothing wrong with using "low end" ammo to season your barrel or to use for practicing fundamentals. However, you should use your "hunting" ammo to set your zero and to work on your dope for shooting further.

My Xbolt Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag, likes several off the shelf ammo. Hornady 180 ELDX, 180 Grain Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, Nosler 180 grain accubonds, Barnes 180 TTSX, 180 grain Federal Fusion all shoot < 1" MOA at 100 yards. A custom 220 grain ELDX shoots 0.5 MOA. The rifle hated Browning 180 grain BXR and 180 grain HSM both produced > 4" groups!

With that said good luck finding any! Your new rifle is a shooter!!!!!!!! Love mine. I now own 3 Xbolts.

Good info above.

I couldn't get my xbolt 300 wsm stainless stalker to shoot well until after i had 100+ rounds through it. Id say it's a coin toss on the reason being break in or if I was the culprit. Good chance it was some of both. It shoots most everything well now.

I'd google up some info on lead sleds and why you shouldn't be using one. There is a fair chance your scope wont hold up to a bunch of 300wm shooting from a lead sled.

Last edited:
OP
L
I'd google up some info on lead sleds and why you shouldn't be using one. There is a fair chance your scope wont hold up to a bunch of 300wm shooting from a lead sled.
Thanks fellas! I will ditch the lead sled then, never would've thought of this without you fellas but makes complete sense. Thanks!

Harvey_NW

WKR
Ditch that bore snake and get quality cleaning components while you're at it. All you're doing is breaking carbon up into sand in your bore and then embedding it into your lands..

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Same as above.

Ditch the sled, ditch the bore snake.

Every new rifle I bring home gets taken apart, inspected and torqued back together. I also clean the snot out of it before firing. You should do the same.

Be sure of your scope mounts. It should all be loctited and marked.

Shoot groups at 100 yards and go from there.

OP
L
Thank you all for the advice! I ditched the lead sled, shot three different ammo and found two that shot 1" groups at 100yds. Cleaned the gun extensively and did a break in process. Seemed to really help. Looking forward to shooting out to 300-500 tonight and seeing how it performs. Thanks again!

Lawnboi

WKR
Good zero that stays put an a good velocity makes a big difference when it comes to how easy it is to make hits.

That and a scope that tracks solid.

Ditch the lead sled, ditch the bore snake. Grab a bore guide and a quality one piece rod.

I wouldn’t put much merit into a 3 round group either to tell you what the rifle will do. Once you find ammo get as much of it as you can, same lot preferably

Find something that shoots 3/4” or better at 100 then go from there. A lot of variables can factor in beyond 100. I’d bet it’s your ammo whether the weight of the bullet or particular ammo itself. Hornady, nosler, Barnes all shoot well for me. Best wishes

OP
L
Find something that shoots 3/4” or better at 100 then go from there. A lot of variables can factor in beyond 100. I’d bet it’s your ammo whether the weight of the bullet or particular ammo itself. Hornady, nosler, Barnes all shoot well for me. Best wishes
I think given a better rest I could've shot tighter than 1" groups at 100. My crosshairs were floating around the 1" center circle and never was able to hold it any tighter so I wasn't expecting a group to be any tighter except out of pure luck. Going to the range again today hoping to bring something better to rest the gun on and hold steadier.

OP
L
Well, happy to report some results from 300yds last night. I don't think that qualifies as long range but for this midwest deer hunter that's as far as I've ever shot! Just under a 1" three shot group. Thank you all for the tips and advice, looking forward to extending the range and getting used to adjusting windage and dope on the scope. Thanks again!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 33

Harvey_NW

WKR
Well, happy to report some results from 300yds last night. I don't think that qualifies as long range but for this midwest deer hunter that's as far as I've ever shot! Just under a 1" three shot group. Thank you all for the tips and advice, looking forward to extending the range and getting used to adjusting windage and dope on the scope. Thanks again!
Outstanding! Welcome to the rabbit hole 😆 🍻