Entry Level Pack - Eberlestock, Cabela's, ...?

Hello all. I want to start doing some backpack hunting here on the east coast (PA, WV, VA, etc.) with hopes of making my way out west a few years down the road. For now, I'll probably only be looking at overnights to 2 or 3 day long hunts at most, all of which will be for whitetail. That being said, I'm looking to purchase my first pack. After reading a lot of the threads here it seems that the pack isn't a place to skimp, but, I'm on some serious budget constraints and simply can't justify purchasing a high-end pack at this time. So, for a pack to get me started, my thoughts are to purchase something like an Eberlestock Mainframe and simply strap my current daypack and camping gear to it. Then, if I'm successful, I should be able to pack out meat along with my gear using the frame pack. Also with this idea, I like that I can add to the pack as I save money and learn what does and doesn't work for me. Any thoughts on going this route as a way for a beginner to get started with backpack hunting?
Thanks in advance!

sounds like you have a good plan. id run with it. down the road you could look at something different if need be. other bags like the Kuiu will strap to it just fine if you decide to just get a different or bigger bag.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
You are on the right track. Get what gear you can afford and get after it. Where are you located? I've got some stuff that I might let go. I've got a cabelas Alaskan frame with a decent lid on it. Shoot me a pm!

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

jog

FNG
I did just that- got a Eberlestock mainframe and put a kifaru 1850 on it. It has been great so far. To haul meat you just loosen the straps at the top and there will be space between the frame and the bag. I was using an Eberlestock X2 for several years but I didn't like its wide width, the hydration off to the the sides requiring you to always fuss with balancing the load if you ran with one bladder and as a meat packer it sufficed but it was time upgrade to a more narrow, stronger system. I will mention that for me the mainframe padding at the lower back needed some miles to break in. Fitting the mainframe to you with tweeks will also make a big diff in how comfortable it is.

OP
T
Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely thinking used packs are the way to go.

GunsAreFun - This may sound somewhat vague but I'd like to keep the price as low as possible so as to have some funds remaining to buy the few other items I need. (i.e. water filtration, stove, etc.)

OP
T
You are on the right track. Get what gear you can afford and get after it. Where are you located? I've got some stuff that I might let go. I've got a cabelas Alaskan frame with a decent lid on it. Shoot me a pm!

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Whitetoptom - Can't seem to figure out how to send a PM. Maybe I don't have enough posts yet? Anyways, I'm interested in learning more about your setup. Located in the DC metro area. Send me a PM if you can. Thanks!

TravisIN

WKR
Definitely go used pack if you can. I bought an apps commander x pack. It was nice and seemed to have decent durability. Frame seemed solid. But the issue was adjustability or lack there of. Unless you fit into the size that it’s built for your sol. I’m not a small guy and I would bottom the belt out without a heavy load and then when i cinched it down for a really heavy load it would slip. Any old pack from one of the top guys will be better than one of box store packs many times over. But if things are super super tight and you know your gonna suffer look on eBay at badlands. Their big pack called the summit I think is on there often for like 100 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carr5vols

WKR
I have a mainframe I have used a few years and really like it. It has packed whitetail in the appalachians, speed goats in wyoming, and mule deer in colorado. I have the jtype dry bag and two batwings and I am good for a week excursion. My brother in law will be using it this year on our backcountry hunt. I got a deal on a MR or it would be on my back. Spend the $10 and upgrade to the large belt. Your body will thank you for it. Would buy it again no problem. If you watch you can get them on sale pretty cheap. Let me know if you need to know anything else about it.

2Shea

FNG
Have you tried the mainframe with a different bag this season? Curious to how well it did. I live in the Appalachia mountains as well in WV and want to do some backpack hunts. Looking for budget friendly setup as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2 3500 for $399 right now

dbransco

FNG
Eberlestock packs are found on sale now too with Black Friday & Cyber Monday. Hard to pass right now. Mystery Ranch is another good pack with sales going now.

OP
T
2Shea, I actually ended up going with a Cabela's Alaskan Frame that I found on Ebay, brand new in box. It seemed to be about as cheap of an option as you can get for just starting out. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take it out hunting this season but I'm hoping to do some camping and scouting come this spring when the weather gets nice. As for just wearing the pack around the house and looking it over, it seems like it will certainly be more than good enough to get me started.

Best of luck.

I would purchase a used pack off this site. I saw a Kifaru Bikini Frame with a bag in classifieds for under $300 recently.

This is my struggle right now. I need two packs. Went out to Montana for my first time this past year and took two of my kids. My son missed with his bow. We did tag out with a few Mulies. One was close to the road so we just drug it, but we packed out the other two - one with a Duluth Pack (I got to the BWCA every year) and one with an old frame pack. Neither option was great. I'm trying to figure out a good option fro the budget this year. I would need three packs. Any ideas?

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned above you can get a lot of bang for your buck by buying used or nearly new on the classified section of this website, ebay, Craigslist, etc. I would highly recommend 1 oversized bag with frame capable of 100+ lb loads for yourself. Your kids likely can't carry as much so other packs may not matter as much. I would concentrate on at least 1 super high quality pack/frame for yourself so you can get the brunt of the load. If it were me I would keep my eyes open for a 6,000+ cu in Kifaru or Stone Glacier bag and frame. A larger back can be cinched down tight to the frame when not fully loaded and is plenty big for hefty/bulky loads. It's tough to beat Kifaru or SG. If you buy a used Kifaru or SG you can likely sell it at the end of the season for the same price you bought it for....they keep their value super well!

As mentioned above you can get a lot of bang for your buck by buying used or nearly new on the classified section of this website, ebay, Craigslist, etc. I would highly recommend 1 oversized bag with frame capable of 100+ lb loads for yourself. Your kids likely can't carry as much so other packs may not matter as much. I would concentrate on at least 1 super high quality pack/frame for yourself so you can get the brunt of the load. If it were me I would keep my eyes open for a 6,000+ cu in Kifaru or Stone Glacier bag and frame. A larger back can be cinched down tight to the frame when not fully loaded and is plenty big for hefty/bulky loads. It's tough to beat Kifaru or SG. If you buy a used Kifaru or SG you can likely sell it at the end of the season for the same price you bought it for....they keep their value super well!

My son is 16 and he can haul gear. We have been going to the BWCA together since he was 4 and he can haul a large pack on his pack and a medium pack on his front - probably 75 - 100 pounds, so we can split the load and he can haul out meat. My daughter is pretty solid as well, but probably tops out at 50lbs for gear or meat. So the idea is to have multiple packs that have universal appeal. I do have a large Cabela's internal frame pack that I could conceivably pack on a frame. I have a couple smaller day packs but quite frankly, they suck for comfort.