Entry Level Pack - Eberlestock, Cabela's, ...?

As mentioned above you can get a lot of bang for your buck by buying used or nearly new on the classified section of this website, ebay, Craigslist, etc. I would highly recommend 1 oversized bag with frame capable of 100+ lb loads for yourself. Your kids likely can't carry as much so other packs may not matter as much. I would concentrate on at least 1 super high quality pack/frame for yourself so you can get the brunt of the load. If it were me I would keep my eyes open for a 6,000+ cu in Kifaru or Stone Glacier bag and frame. A larger back can be cinched down tight to the frame when not fully loaded and is plenty big for hefty/bulky loads. It's tough to beat Kifaru or SG. If you buy a used Kifaru or SG you can likely sell it at the end of the season for the same price you bought it for....they keep their value super well!
What are your thoughts on the Just One pack? I read Matt's review and he seemed to like it. Now they have more adjustability so that may have addressed the comfort issue? I tried to look at the classifieds but apparently because I'm a newbie i don't have the "special privileges" yet.

Jpeezer

FNG
I have an Eberlestock "Just One" pack that I like for backpack hunting, thought it is a bit heavy for day hunts.

Thing is built to last for sure, and really innovative in design. I've carried up to 50lbs in it. I've hauled out 1 deer quarter and 1/2 a small bear so I can't comment on super heavy load capabilities.

You can score them used on eBay for a pretty good price (I have an extra one on there right now, matter of fact).

I'd look into backpacking packs in earth tones I've seen some nice ones for decent prices from mystery ranch at Sierra trading Post

I have an Eberlestock "Just One" pack that I like for backpack hunting, thought it is a bit heavy for day hunts.

Thing is built to last for sure, and really innovative in design. I've carried up to 50lbs in it. I've hauled out 1 deer quarter and 1/2 a small bear so I can't comment on super heavy load capabilities.

You can score them used on eBay for a pretty good price (I have an extra one on there right now, matter of fact).
I’ll check it out. Is the one your selling the newer model with the adjustable feature for the suspension.

Jpeezer

FNG
I’ll check it out. Is the one your selling the newer model with the adjustable feature for the suspension.

Not sure if it a newer model, but it does have adjustable suspension, it fit me well, and was easily adjustable for my buddy who is much larger than me. Cool system.

Jpeezer

FNG
We'l look at that...it's a great deal for sure and worth it I think. I just happen to look at used market being a cheap SOB, so hadn't even looked at new prices when I posted mine on eBay.

Hope you don't think I was trying to push mine on you, but rather pointing you toward what you can score used if you're patient and care that much.

It's a great pack new or used. Bomber.

Marble

WKR
Keep an eye in the classified section. I've got a couple packs I may get rid of. Maybe only one but I'll list one of them for sure.

I think you have a good plan, you cant get more modular than a frame pack and strapping your stuff to it. Dont let the pack thing get inside your head too much, it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I've hauled elk and deer out with a cheap field and stream hiking backpack. (Full disclosure, I did order a kifaru earlier today.) It's not fun with over 45 pounds but it works. I use mine in pa doing backpack hunts too. A mainframe is a good place to start for sure.

I think you have a good plan, you cant get more modular than a frame pack and strapping your stuff to it. Dont let the pack thing get inside your head too much, it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I've hauled elk and deer out with a cheap field and stream hiking backpack. (Full disclosure, I did order a kifaru earlier today.) It's not fun with over 45 pounds but it works. I use mine in pa doing backpack hunts too. A mainframe is a good place to start for sure.
Don’t let it get inside your head - I think I may have. LOL

We'l look at that...it's a great deal for sure and worth it I think. I just happen to look at used market being a cheap SOB, so hadn't even looked at new prices when I posted mine on eBay.

Hope you don't think I was trying to push mine on you, but rather pointing you toward what you can score used if you're patient and care that much.

It's a great pack new or used. Bomber.
Not at all. I buy a ton of used stuff. I have an interest in seeing used gear get recycled too.

Keep an eye in the classified section. I've got a couple packs I may get rid of. Maybe only one but I'll list one of them for sure.
Well, I’m trying to get this pack thing out of my head. I’ve looked at sooo many options and read sooo many reviews. It’s tiresome so now I have “pack fatigue.” Can you send a message with what you have? The sale won’t last forever so if I’m going that route I’ll have to make a call.

Gapmaster

WKR
I‘ve used the Badlands 2200 for a few hunts, personally didn’t care for it as a multi day pack. Great pack though. Currently I’m running the Eberlestock Mainframe with the Little Bigtop and the Batwings with added pouches on the hip belt. I absolutely love it. The versatility of the pack is endless. I used the M1 last elk season with the spike camp duffel and batwings. Opted to go with the F65 Little BigTop this past season for more of a traditional pack feel with more pockets. Have packed out 3 bulls with the M1 and had zero problems. Once fitted properly it was fantastic for me. That being said...packs are like boots... they all fit different and all have different attributes. Go to different stores and try on as many as you can and do tons of research before you buy. Then just take the plunge. Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with Eberlestock. I had excellent service through their service department as well. Good luvk either way you go!!

I‘ve used the Badlands 2200 for a few hunts, personally didn’t care for it as a multi day pack. Great pack though. Currently I’m running the Eberlestock Mainframe with the Little Bigtop and the Batwings with added pouches on the hip belt. I absolutely love it. The versatility of the pack is endless. I used the M1 last elk season with the spike camp duffel and batwings. Opted to go with the F65 Little BigTop this past season for more of a traditional pack feel with more pockets. Have packed out 3 bulls with the M1 and had zero problems. Once fitted properly it was fantastic for me. That being said...packs are like boots... they all fit different and all have different attributes. Go to different stores and try on as many as you can and do tons of research before you buy. Then just take the plunge. Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with Eberlestock. I had excellent service through their service department as well. Good luvk either way you go!!
That looks like a great option. There is tremendous flexibility there. I was considering that. It’s good to know of your experience. The Just one looked very modular as well, so it was on my list but the mainframe with batwings looked great as well. I think the sale on the Just One was pushing me that way but I don’t think it would be as good for hauling meat.

The OP said he has some serious budget constraints. He wants a pack that he can use while hunting a couple of eastern states that can also handle his first elk hunt in a few years.

The best pack that I've found for a guy on a budget is a used US Marines ILBE pack from ebay. It is approximately 4,000 cu in and can handle any kind of abuse. Designed by Arc Teryx (misspelled, I'm sure). I've camped for about a week with one and hauled elk with it too. It is without a doubt the most capable pack on a budget.

I trimmed mine down to reduce weight. I cut all of the naugahyde stuff off of it as well as handles in order to get mine down below 7lbs.

You want the main bag, lid, shoulder straps, and hip belt. It will cost you about $100 or a little more. You don't need the assault pack, radio pouch, etc. Then, when you decide to upgrade to a $500-600 pack you can still sell the ILBE for a small loss. It is a great investment. Or, you might keep it because it makes a good pack for summer workouts and it doesn't matter if you soak it in sweat.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing wrong with starting out with a non-hunting backpack. You can get a really good pack that will haul a ton without paying the premium for camo and a meat shelf. I used an older REI brand pack for a long time. It was actually more comfortable than my mystery ranch until I got up over 80lbs.

Jimss

WKR
If it were me I would invest a little more money on a used top of the line hunting pack (kifaru or stone glacier) for yourself. As mentioned several times above it's well worth the investment and you can buy a used one for about 1/2 price.

As Elkstabber mentioned in his post immediately above, it may be wise buy 2 additional non-hunting packs for your son and daughter. You will save considerable $ and the quality of Arcteryx and other mtn climbing packs are excellent. It sounds like your son is capable of hauling fairly extreme loads (up to 100 lbs). An internal frame pack that I used and abused for years is an Arteryx Bora 90. I hauled out everything from muledeer to elk to moose, mtn goat, and bighorn sheep with it....and it withstood a lot of abuse.

I just looked and there are several Bora 80's and 90's on Ebay for $60 to $100....which is a heck of a deal! Mine is older and was actually made in Canada....very good quality! The zippers are super strong, has a solid frame with decent shoulder straps and belt. They actually come in different torso lengths. My Bora 90 and a long front pouch that was perfect for a spotting scope. It also has excellent load lifter straps on it (I actually like better than my Kifaru's). You can't beat the quality for the price of the Arcteryx!

Last edited:
I’m riding home from MT right now while my sone drives across North Dakota. I used the Just One and put on 27 miles in two days. We were making a play on a small herd of about 15 but two other hunters were in the area and it fell apart. We saw a herd of 500 on property we didn’t have access to and a small group of six the next day.
Anyway, I loved how the Just One worked. The rifle carry system was awesome and the large pouch easily held an extra layer (it was -12 and windy). I picked up a used mainframe and added some batwings for my son. The whole set up worked very well. I did notice a little shoulder discomfort the second day (my pack probably weighed about 40 lbs with game bags, knives, food, extra layers, and 8-9 lbs of a heavy barreled gun and scope). For the most part though it carried the weight well. I do wish the belt would stay tighter. Every once in a while I did have to tighten it and when it became loose that is what would cause the discomfort.