Entry level turkey hunting

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I just started a few years ago in my mid-thirties. Have managed to kill some birds now and have had a lot of fun doing it. A few takeaways form my experience as a noob.

-Try to pattern the birds if you can. You have access to private property, so figure out what those birds like to do and then put yourself in their path.
-Set a jake decoy or jake and hen decoy 20 yards from your hide.
-Cover your face, hide well and keep still.
-Aim for the waddle.
-Don't call if they're coming to you.

I'm still new to this, and a veteran hunter can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have decoys set in a spot that birds are regularly using, calling is going to be the least important part of the puzzle. In fact, too much, or poor-quality calling could do more harm than good.

Lastly, keep after it! Put yourself in good spots, keep still, and good things will happen.

Edit: PERMETHRIN!

rclouse79

WKR
I got the primos jake and hen decoy thinking I would upgrade. I am still rolling with them years later considering they have pulled in every tom that has seen them.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Turkeys are so unpredictable it can make them seem 'smart'. They truly are the 'Roomba's of the bird world....wander in one direction, run into a deadfall, go the other direction, run into a creek, go another direction, etc, etc. One day they will run into a call, the next day they run away. One day they will gobble 100x on the Roost, the next day none. It drives ya nuts but makes it fun. Thank God they dont have a nose like a deer or they would be impossible to kill.
This is soooo true! I started hunting them seriously around 40, and 5 years later my buddies and I whack the heck out of them. I will say, I really prefer private land Turkeys. Public land birds, are a different animal.

RS3579

WKR
I’m in Ohio, but my family owns a plot of land out in the Pennsylvania big woods, what style mouth call did you find works for you? I just recently picked up some cheap one from my local sporting goods store and I’ve been trying it out around the house bothering my family
What part of PA? I might be able to help you out on public land locations.

Fatcamp

WKR
This is soooo true! I started hunting them seriously around 40, and 5 years later my buddies and I whack the heck out of them. I will say, I really prefer private land Turkeys. Public land birds, are a different animal.

Ya, I hunt heavily pressured public birds. It's an achievement just to see one sometimes.

Erict

WKR
Spring turkey hunting when the toms are gobbling can be a very exciting hunt. Lots of good advice above.

I prefer to call less than more. Make them be vocal and come looking for you. You can call nonstop, but they may come in silent and behind you if they know exactly where to head to.

I have called in 90% of my toms with the same "power crystal" and striker. Better to be good with one or two calls than terrible with all of them.

Pattern your shotgun. This not only ensures a clean kill, but you want to minimize shot to the meat. Amazing how many videos I see of the "pro" turkey hunters blasting the bird in the breast. Shot pellets are not friendly to teeth, especially the newer stuff, so try your best to keep them in the head/neck only.

Ground blinds can be very effective, but I've never used one. I have shot them with bows from treestands during archery, which was neat. I think there is not much more exciting a hunt than to sit at the base of a tree and have a tom come strutting/gobbling in to your decoy a few yards in front of you.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Turkey hunting can be the cheapest, hardest, or easiest hunting there is. You'll learn something new every time you go out, if you're paying attention. Comfortable boots, some camo, shotgun/choke and shells along with a call or two is all you need to start. Knowing where turkeys are and where they want to go are over half the battle, especially if you're hunting land that you're familiar with. Listen and pay attention to which times of day they are active, along with knowing where they are during those times will carry you a long way. You'll eventually get to where you can read them, so to speak, and as your calling knowledge picks up, you'll learn how to check their temperature.

Edit to add: If you're going to hunt before things green up for the spring, learn how to use your terrain to move around on them. They can see you from forever away through naked woods.

Last edited:

LongBird

FNG
I’m in Ohio, but my family owns a plot of land out in the Pennsylvania big woods, what style mouth call did you find works for you? I just recently picked up some cheap one from my local sporting goods store and I’ve been trying it out around the house bothering my family
I like a small frame mouth call. Seems to fit better and I don’t have to cut the tape anymore. Tom teaser’s makes a good call houndstooth as well. Check out Dave Owen the pinhoti project on YouTube

blastro87

FNG
Check out Mike Chamberlain (aka the turkey Dr.) he is on Insta @wildturkeydoc and he has done some amazing research with wild turkeys across north america. Find some podcasts where he is a guest speaker, im pretty sure there is a meateater podcast with Mike...Very informative and honestly if you pay attention to this guy youll be 10 steps ahead of 90% of the turkey hunters out there. There is a lot of myth floating around in hunter circles in regards to wild turkeys regardless of subspecies or geographic location. One thing Mike has said in several podcasts that is so true is turkeys have an AMAZING sense of "place"...they know exactly where they are at all times in relation to everything, including roost sites, feeding, dusting, and watering areas...and when you make a sound I dont care if that bird is 50yds away or 1/4 mile away when he gobbles, that bird knows EXACTLY where the call came from. Other than that, my personal advice is patience and persistence will kill you a turkey. Dont spook your birds, let them come to you. Every time you spook the birds you are making each hunt harder for yourself.

ltkasten

FNG
No need to go crazy with calls. A pot call and an owl hooter will get you a long way. Mapping software will help as far as finding places to hunt. I also hunt PA and that first weekend of season can be absolute insanity as far as hunting pressure on public land. Finding permission on private or getting away from other hunters will help a lot. Biggest thing is to look for sign and hunt around it.