Eolus?

Hello all. Looking for a one man shelter to run this fall for archery Colorado. I am 6'6" so would prefer some room. Most traditional 1p tents are on the short side. Going to be up around 10.5k, so wind will be an issue. I have run the 6 man SO tipi for 6 years in third rifle and it has been flawless. Thinking of going with the Eolus but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks in advance.

I’m 5’ 11” and was glad I wasn’t taller when I was sleeping in my Eolus. If you sleep diagonal and use the guy lines you will probably be alright.

I wouldn't worry about that Eolus in the wind. If you can get good stakes in the ground it's a pretty stout tent.

TheViking

WKR
Elous plus nest seems like a great early season tent. I don’t love that it doesn’t go all the way down to the ground, but with a nest, not a big deal.

Jdw901

FNG
I bought an eolus after using the sky air ult for 2 seasons. I moved to the eolus for the room - my lab comes with me a lot and I just prefer not being super cramped (I’m 6 ft, 200). After last season I’m keeping the eolus and selling my sky air. The sky air is awesome if you don’t mind smaller quarters. The only downside to the eolus is that you need to find a bigger area to pitch it. My pitching skills definitely improved after a couple of nights (the lawn at home wasn’t the best place to practice...)

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’3 and my buddy and I (who is 6’2) spent 4 nights in the Colorado high county in mu Eolus. Felt like I had room to spare
Who was big spoon?

Just kidding.. I have a Silex that I am liking so far. Couldn't justify the Eolus because I have no friends.

6'6", tall glass o' water! I like that the Silex can be staked down to the ground to help with the wind, but you might feel a little cramped.

eamyrick

WKR
Who was big spoon?

Just kidding.. I have a Silex that I am liking so far. Couldn't justify the Eolus because I have no friends.

6'6", tall glass o' water! I like that the Silex can be staked down to the ground to help with the wind, but you might feel a little cramped.

I think traditionally you would sleep between the poles but we slept with the poles at our head and feet and like I said, plenty of room even with two packs

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Eolus is a large shelter for two, by comparison to others on the market. It does take up a bit more space for the canopy, but that is only really staking which is somewhat flexible. It does not go completely to the ground, but when used with the nest does a great job blocking wind as the nest is DWR lower, so you dont feel much wind.

eamyrick

WKR
The Eolus is a large shelter for two, by comparison to others on the market. It does take up a bit more space for the canopy, but that is only really staking which is somewhat flexible. It does not go completely to the ground, but when used with the nest does a great job blocking wind as the nest is DWR lower, so you dont feel much wind.

Mine is getting 7 nights on the Wulik River in NW Alaska in August. I’ll make sure to let y’all know how it does. Taking the next for bug insurance.

Mine is getting 7 nights on the Wulik River in NW Alaska in August. I’ll make sure to let y’all know how it does. Taking the next for bug insurance.
Make sure you take a rod because you'll have the largest Arctic Char/Dolly Varden in the world swimming by you. Are you floating it?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take twisty stakes .. or know how to dead man .. but it will work fine there with good stakes

eamyrick

WKR
Make sure you take a rod because you'll have the largest Arctic Char/Dolly Varden in the world swimming by you. Are you floating it?
Getting dropped off on a gravel bar and renting rafts for 7 days. First trip to Alaska. I’m a fly fishing nut so I cannot wait.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello all. Looking for a one man shelter to run this fall for archery Colorado. I am 6'6" so would prefer some room. Most traditional 1p tents are on the short side. Going to be up around 10.5k, so wind will be an issue. I have run the 6 man SO tipi for 6 years in third rifle and it has been flawless. Thinking of going with the Eolus but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks in advance.

Single person + wanting a lot of space for a 6'6" guy....have you looked at the Silex? I've put some 6'8" and 6'9" guys in the Silex and they could still sit up with plenty of headroom.

Wapiti16

FNG
I'm 6'-1" and I love my Eolus. I haven't felt cramped yet. It's a perfect single shelter for me. Plenty of room, lightweight, stout.

I'm 6' and have an Eolus on the way- was in my buddies and I think I had at least 6 more inches- Im going with a Borah Bivy for bug times here in MI

just one person in a eolus, being your height should be totally fine.... it's a pretty big shelter.... almost feels too big for one, but since the weight penalty is basically nothing, why not have a huge shelter? i would get a nest if wind is a common theme, because you feel it in that shelter.

i'm needing a foul weather shelter currently to compliment the eolus, and i'm thinking the DFC silex will be the one.... i don't want to use a nest, so a tighter pitch will be helpful for that niche.

i think you would be really happy with the eolus

cronsman

WKR
So for guys that posted here from AK, how many are running it solo without the nest? Interested in using it sheep hunting without one