Epic Adventures strikes again...

BuckSnort

WKR
Mike, The hard part is done (caping out the skull) you should definately Euro mount him... This is something that is really easy and cheap to do yourself .. It will cost you less than $30 for the supplies and maybe take 3-4 hours of your time...

OP
HellsCanyon
Bucksnort,
Thanks for the PM got it no problem!

I can actually get some pretty decent stuff for whitening (hair salon concentrated peroxide and bleaching agent) locally... I just don't have anything large enough to fit the skull in for boiling and I HATE trying to get all the meat and everything off afterwards. I'll be heading to town tomorrow anyways so will stop by the hardware store and see if I can't find something appropriate for boiling... Think I'll also make a nice angled plaque to put him on for now as well if I can find the time!

Mike

BuckSnort

WKR
Mike, that hair bleaching stuff is the same stuff that comes with these kits..It works great... If you can get a hold of some Sal Soda , it really helps with the boiling process, it loosens the flesh and removes fat residue from the skull... Anyway, it sounds like you have done this before, the angled plaque will look great..post some pics when yer done.. FWIW if you have any Costco's or Winco's around they usually have large kettles/pots that folks use to make Tamale's, these are usually fairly cheap..

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks Bucksnort I'll see if I can't stop by Costco in town today and pick one up! I've done a few deer skulls but they never turn out quite as nice as I'd like... I tried to remove as much meat and flesh as I could right after caping to help it boil better and more evenly if I did decide to Euro it. Might as well go the extra few hours and see what I can't do with it!

Thanks everyone for the congrats, feels pretty good! This bull means a lot! Been chasing these bulls for a few years now with a bow and now that it all comes together its awesome! Last year I got my first archery buck, this year my first archery bull... feeling pretty lucky! ;) Lets just hope it holds out for my unit 18 Deer tag starting on the 10th! :)

Mike

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in unit 4 and have hunted it since 1980.

This was one of my best bugling years I have seen, both for bugling volume and for calling in bulls. I am aggressive to say the least on my bugling, cover a ton of miles and typically dont use the cow call alone. I stick to the thick stuff and make aggressive moves to try and make them come in. This bull took me on a wild ride for 90 minutes in a dense north slope, when I literally ran after him and his cows several times to keep up. Elk talk, close in encounters and September. Nothing Better!

OP
HellsCanyon
Got him all cleaned up today.... still gotta do a final whitening though!

Eurod_zps37678e37.jpg

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks Bucksnort... got some stuff to bleach it out today!

Also, I re-scored him as I was told that I needed to measure where the dotted lines are on the B&C scoring sheet. First time I measured on the inside of the rack and on the inside of all the curves of the tines. Adjusted gross score is 304 3/8" for those that care! ;)

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Ha yeah thats the GF... Shes pretty awesome and goes on a few hunts with me (though I swear I kill more n bigger animals when she's not around!) :what:

Mike
ramy2u5e.jpg