Equipment Is Only Half The Battle, By Chas Carmichael

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
carmichael-hunt003.jpg

Hey Roksliders! Chas just finished up a great article titled Equipment Is Only Half The Battle. In this article, he discusses the good and not so good throughout his years of hunting. Also, what to look for. Give it a read and let him know what you think.

When I was writing the article and came across the photo on this thread, I shook my head at the old Oneida's Brad and I packed for 6+ years in UT/CO/ID. The more I looked for camp photos the more photos of successful hunts for deer and elk I found with these bows in them. It was hunting for deer after this particular (successful) elk hunt that the Oneida blew up due to a string failure and I bought the Parker Force-Multiplier I carried for the next 19 years.

Dang we stacked a ton of meat shooting these dinosaurs, and mine even had a rectangular brass pin sight still! I laughed in horror at the overdraw rigs we had for a couple of those years shooting short aluminum telephone poles. Not a synthetic garment in any photo I found - all cotton all the time. Beyond hunting partners, a lot of things have changed in the past 20+ years....

Also, a good reminder that basic bushcraft knowledge, good partners, and well scouted hunting areas can make for more success than the fanciest best synthetic fiber optic range finding solar A2 satellite laser waterproof cuben silnylon doohickey widget ever will. Good people. Good area. Good knowledge. Good success. Good equipment was a bonus, not what made the hunt a success.

bm-55

FNG
Great article and writing, thanks for this... spelled out a lot of make or break traits that you often don't think about or find out about until you're out there.

but focusing on equipment gives us all something to do while its not hunting season!

Not me! I have been researching several new-to-me deer units that are going to make 2020 epic!

(OK - maybe a little coveting on the equipment here and there....researching is just a lot cheaper....)

Hot_Rod51

FNG
Fantastic article. Sometimes it's easy to just accept whats around you because it's convenient.

It's reads like this that make you appreciate what you have around you. Good perspective for those who have a good partner or group, a place to hunt and the finances to make it happen.

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing, spot on with train your own.. My daughter also is my favorite hunting partner, she just turned 16 and loves archery elk hunting with me, she shot and missed last year so hoping for her first one this year!