Equipment needed for elk hunt

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day everyone. Hope all that are sheltered in place are finding things to do. So I have a few questions about elk hunting and gear. A few years ago I went on a guided elk hunt in New Mexico and since that was my first one I took everything and the kitchen sink only to realize later that I brought way too much. This year we have applied to the same outfit in New Mexico in hopes of drawing rifle tags. My dilemma is the qty of clothing to take especially pants. I am in the market to buy clothing from Sitka or first lite and pants are not cheap and are always difficult for me due to my odd size. They will have to be hemmed. So I was thinking almost 4 or 5 pair to wear while hunting and back up pairs. I don’t plan on buying until after the draw results anyways so I have some time. Just wanted to get an idea of what all the pros here usually take along. I know guided hunts are different than diy hunts but elaborate on all. Thanks

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents. I hunt elk every year starting in September and going as late as November. I take two sets of pants for all situations. Sitka Mountain and some Sitka 90% pants that are probably approaching 10 years old and have heavier insulation than the mountain pants. The 1st key for me is layering. I’ve used the mountain pants at 80 degrees with nothing underneath. I’ve used the 90% pants well below zero with tight fitting underarmour cold gear (13+ years old) and Sitka traverse both underneath. I mix and match for the temps.

The second key for me is durability. I used to worry about destroying a set of pants during a hunt and needing more but the pants I listed seem indestructible and they don’t blow out seams either. I’m sure the other options out there are tough as well ie Kuiu etc. I’ve probably got between 100 and 150 days on the 90% pants with no signs of wear through or seems blowing out.

In summary, I take two sets that are different weights and insulation, that are proven not to psychically fail, and dial in temps with up to two layers underneath.

Again, my two cents. Good luck with the draw.

Good day everyone. Hope all that are sheltered in place are finding things to do. So I have a few questions about elk hunting and gear. A few years ago I went on a guided elk hunt in New Mexico and since that was my first one I took everything and the kitchen sink only to realize later that I brought way too much. This year we have applied to the same outfit in New Mexico in hopes of drawing rifle tags. My dilemma is the qty of clothing to take especially pants. I am in the market to buy clothing from Sitka or first lite and pants are not cheap and are always difficult for me due to my odd size. They will have to be hemmed. So I was thinking almost 4 or 5 pair to wear while hunting and back up pairs. I don’t plan on buying until after the draw results anyways so I have some time. Just wanted to get an idea of what all the pros here usually take along. I know guided hunts are different than diy hunts but elaborate on all. Thanks

The quantity of things you are bringing IMO are way too much. It’s not like this is a fashion show. I don’t even buy the high end hunting pants. It’s just not needed. I wear a single pair of Eddie Bauer guide cargo pants for a weeks hunt that I was able to buy on sale for less than $40. They have all of the stretch and comfort as any of the more costly pants and I can buy 4 -5 pairs for the price of a single hunting specific camo pant. I would bring a second pair for at the truck Incase of an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything you buy get it in a solid color and you can use them everyday when you’re not hunting. When Kuiu had their garage sale I got pretty much every pant they make and honestly you can make it work pretty easy in normal pants. The only nice thing about the hunting style pants have been the hip vents. It helps during heavy hiking or large temp swings but I dont think the nice factor is worth the price unless you hunt a lot.

I would make sure to have a good base layer, insulation layer (if cold temp are a possibility), 2x outer layer, rain layer (if rain / snow is a possibility). Thats all you need. I have sitka and kuiu pants and you can get the same out of other pants. I actually like my Prana Zions the most got them 50% off for a total of $40 I believe. Super awesome pants for hunting and I wear them year around as well.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
4 or 5 pair of pants is way too many for one hunt. Two will probably be one too many.....

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
You can always was your pants in the sink over lunch or in the evening and then wear or air them dry. 2-3 pairs is plenty.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Taz, Long time since we talked.

I utilize strictly Sitka outer wear and take 2 sets of pants on my 7-9 day back pack hunts. I typically pack one pair of the timberline pants and one pair of the mountain pants. I also will pack 2 of the Sitka core midweight zip t shirts and 2 of the short sleeve core lite weight crew shirts. I also pack a puffy vest and puffy jacket along with the mountain jacket.

I utilize badlands merino wool base layers in all temperatures for odor control and warmth if needed. I will have 2 pair of base layer pants and 3 base layer shirts in my pack.

I pack 3 pair of merino wool briefs and 2 pair of merino wool socks.

Been using Sitka gear for 10 years and have yet to have anything fail me. It is lite weight, extremely fast drying and have fantastic features.

Have a safe fun hunt...

brsnow

WKR
I take 2 pairs, look into non-camo and you will get the same or better quality at far better prices

I take 4 pair on a base camp truck hunt where space is not a concern. Nothing special just all synthetic paints. That way i have dry pair I am wearing, wet pair drying, good pair ready for tomorrow and ace in the hole. Overkill but when you have a truck camp wall tent it is easy. If I am bivy hunting then it is the one pair I am wearing- with added gators and very light weight super thin bottom base layer for cold and sleep.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
So who carries good well made merino wool base layer clothing
I'd look for the Black Ovis merino on Camofire. It comes up for sale every few weeks seems like. Smart wool, Icebreaker, and Minus 33 also make good products if you can find them on sale.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I wear the same pair of Sitka Timberline pants for outerwear for two weeks. I change out my merino bases underneath regularly. If it gets really cold I’ll add a pair of polyester sweat pants in between.