Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

p3t3rsn

FNG
Count me in on not cleaning as well. Couple years ago I learn from Form on not cleaning and Tikka’s. Bought myself a 223 T3x SS and have never cleaned it. Just a hair under 3000 rounds and all is well. I am far happier for it, I despised cleaning and rarely shot because of it.

Ran the last drill where you shoot 4 shots in 60 seconds. 50 yards with the 22

went sitting unsupported , standing braced off of a dump truck, free hand, then prone off bag.

Had to try to sight in without putting too many holes through paper
This things good value. I’ll give it a go next time with proper setup and do all 20 shots.2AD9C43F-C51A-4FC0-9489-390917C82748.jpeg

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I attempted to do this with my RDS equipped AR today...and learned that if I simply draw the targets onto cardboard and use a Shoot-n-C paster for the 2" I will not be able to see a bloody thing. Turns out the drill is exponentially harder, or so I imagine, when you cannot see what you're trying to hit. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

That was my problem that aTe up about 15 minutes of time..

gotta get ur target mounted high enough above grass so I can see the 2moa target from the prone. And it needs to stay put when hit.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I don’t wanna “cheat” the drill, but without high contrast and a target of sufficient size...oof. Perhaps I can make larger targets with a smaller scoring zone. I might just create an iron/RDS version. Though the targets you posted above look great...should just try something like that.

Ran the drill. Got 14/20 (miscounted on the sheet) I learned:

1. Chamber check your rounds. I do this when hunting but I dunno why I didn’t before this drill

2. Standing unsupported is stupid

3. I shot for hits, not to beat the timer. This led to me timing out on round two a couple times. I think I might get more hits if I slung more lead to make sure I get at least a chance before the timer goes off but that’s not how I shoot at animals. I didn’t break a shot unless I was confident it would be a hit and even then I still had two “bad hits”

4. Hopefully we score line cutters like in archery

04397b99e27ee6fac55e9478c45aab5a.jpg

On barrel life and heat- interesting that people like heavy barrels because they take longer to get hot, yet the throat is the same temperature regardless of thickness for practical uses.

what are your thoughts on barrel profile? does heavier matter? Does it make a difference?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Precision is what I am more concerned with.

For practical use, barrel profile makes little difference. Heavier is easier, a lot to do with just the fact that it’s heavier, but it’s hot hard to get a sporter barrel to shoot very well.

I shoot my .270 every Tuesday and Thursday in the field.
I shoot off a pack or shooting sticks.
sheep_landscape.jpg
I shoot balloons in the mountains...I like the instantaneous feedback and each is at a unique location,
typically shooting uphill or downhill.

My maximum range is where I can not pop a balloon 100 percent of the time.
Of course last year I called in my moose at 25 yards and shot my Sitka blacktail buck at 15 yards...

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
This is a humbling drill for sure. The good news is there is plenty of room for improvement!

Was looking for something like this when I stumbled across this thread yesterday. Did not have any hunting gear, backpack, poles, etc. So had to improvise with the range bag. This was truly shot "cold" no warmup, sighters, thinking about positions, etc. I really enjoyed the time component, and look forward to adding the complexity of the backpack, bino harness, ear pro, etc. Hope to get good enough to add in some burpees, or other stresses to up the game!

But, back to baby steps. My initial observation is that I'm not getting consistent head position behind the gun leading to the "off" groups. Will regroup and spend some time dry firing.

Thank you, Form for getting this out there.

For those asking about a pistol version, the dot torture target is in the same vein, but focused on pistol.6.8.20 Hunt Drill.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for info. This thread has inspired me to get a .223 training rifle while I decide on a hunting rifle. Practice is practice!