Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
Was able to shave a couple off with some position practice and dryfire.
Questions:
When attempting the smaller MOA targets, is it acceptable/recommended to increase the magnification on the scope?
For .22LR practice would you choose a semi-auto or lever action?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Questions:
When attempting the smaller MOA targets, is it acceptable/recommended to increase the magnification on the scope?
For .22LR practice would you choose a semi-auto or lever action?

You can do whatever you want with the power after time starts. You start with the power on its lowest setting.

I wouldn’t choose either a lever or a semi for a .22. A T1x is the easy answer.

Monty3006

FNG
I had a go at this today. I need to work on the seated and supported shots obviously. Blaser R8 .223.8C63DD69-BBFD-4E0E-84F3-5906DE8DBD94.jpegCB9DF02F-FF2F-40FD-8327-CB3D0E9B2B03.jpeg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This is great. It will provide some structure for my range trips. Works well because I have been shooting 1 box per trip. I figure frequent trips with lower round counts will help me more in the long run. Especially as I can dry fire in between. It will also keep me from shooting off the bench, which I have been doing too much of lately.

Unfortunately I only have one bolt gun, but I'm going to change the scope mount to a picatinny rail, that way I can switch the scope between my other two rifles, one of which is a 223.

204guy

WKR
This needs to be back @ the top.

AQtholR.jpg

Tonight's effort. 30-06 on the left 223ai on the right. 12 & 13.

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
5/20. Lotsa room for improvement. I have a question for you guys.

For 10 shots, I'm not able to shoot 2 MOA consistently proned out using bags at 100 yards with my equipment (see below). Usually 10 shots goes 2.5-3 MOA.

1) Should I work on tightening that up, or just keeping shooting the drill to get the practice?
-Something tells me that I should just keep practicing

Just read on this thread that wind can really blow around rimfire bullets, so I'll plan to stick to 50 yards on noticably windy days.

equipment: (Going to stick with this practice set-up until next year, when I plan to get a .223 and a solid scope.)
Rifle: Savage 93R17 17 HMR
Ammo: CCI v-max 17 gr.
Scope: Tasco, 6x24, 42mm Varmint.

5/20. Lotsa room for improvement. I have a question for you guys.

For 10 shots, I'm not able to shoot 2 MOA consistently proned out using bags at 100 yards with my equipment (see below). Usually 10 shots goes 2.5-3 MOA.

1) Should I work on tightening that up, or just keeping shooting the drill to get the practice?
-Something tells me that I should just keep practicing

Just read on this thread that wind can really blow around rimfire bullets, so I'll plan to stick to 50 yards on noticably windy days.

equipment: (Going to stick with this practice set-up until next year, when I plan to get a .223 and a solid scope.)
Rifle: Savage 93R17 17 HMR
Ammo: CCI v-max 17 gr.
Scope: Tasco, 6x24, 42mm Varmint.

Is your 17hmr the old one without the accutrigger? I have an old savage 93r17 and it is doesn't have the accutrigger. The trigger suuuuucks! It's really heavy and creepy and I've been thinking about getting one of those rifle basix replacement Sears for it, as that seems to be the only solution for making the trigger better. My gun also has the 6-24 tasco scope and it's hilariously large on the gun 😂

If yours has the same trigger as mine, I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the large group size for laying prone. But yes, the wind does blow those bullets pretty easily so it could also be that. I plan to use my 17 for this practice drill also but need to get a smaller scope put on first and I would do it at 50 yds with a smaller target size.

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
Is your 17hmr the old one without the accutrigger? I have an old savage 93r17 and it is doesn't have the accutrigger. The trigger suuuuucks! It's really heavy and creepy and I've been thinking about getting one of those rifle basix replacement Sears for it, as that seems to be the only solution for making the trigger better. My gun also has the 6-24 tasco scope and it's hilariously large on the gun 😂

If yours has the same trigger as mine, I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the large group size for laying prone. But yes, the wind does blow those bullets pretty easily so it could also be that. I plan to use my 17 for this practice drill also but need to get a smaller scope put on first and I would do it at 50 yds with a smaller target size.

No, it has the accutrigger. Yeah, seems like 50 yards would negate wind drift being a possibility of inaccuracy

Attachments

• 98F34F7A-3292-438F-A1B2-B881C9FF8CD5.jpeg
    98F34F7A-3292-438F-A1B2-B881C9FF8CD5.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 84
Tikka has a CTR available now in 223 with 24" 8 twist barrel. Been fighting the urge to purchase one something fierce..

Anyone want to buy a 20" RRA predator pursuit so I can justify it?

204guy

WKR
V7uI9fK.jpg

Last Sat, before it got too hot. This should be called the humbler. My offhand was horrendous for some reason. I also "cheat" a bit. I use a javelin bipod prone because I always have 1 hunting. I run over on time sometimes too.
🤬

Last edited:

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
Really struggling with the 20 second par time in string 2. I’m starting with pack strapped on with gun strapped to pack (butt of stock in water bottle mesh, pack strap connected going between scope rings.)

As soon as I get my gun to my shoulder time is up.

Anyone found success in shaving off time in this area?

w squared

FNG
Wow. I just took a look at this thread, and it's outstanding.

I started hunting late in life - but I've had the advantage of growing up with an air rifle and .22 close at hand while growing up in the country. After that, I had the benefit of formal training in shooting while in the military. Subsequent to that I've spent more than a few thousand on some very good quality training. From the perspective of someone who has had a fair amount of formal training and can confidently smack a 6" gong at 800 yards 9/10 times with a .308 - the knowledge that Formidilosus has offered us is absolutely first rate.

The ability to apply shooting fundamentals under field conditions that he is testing with this 20 round program is at the core of putting shots on target while the target is present. There are remarkable similarities in his drills to the drills used at first-rate schools that teach rifle shooting. The ability to place shots accurately while shifting between offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone unsupported under time pressure is not an easy one to acquire - and Form's litmus test is an awesome way to see where your weaknesses lie.

Likewise - his suggestions for dry firing regularly and live training with .223 or .22LR are excellent. Once you build the muscle memory of applying those fundamentals, they will work wonderfully when you transition to a more potent cartridge.

I only have one thing to add - If you are having a hard time improving your score, I can think of no better clinic to boost your shooting prowess than attending an Appleseed. In two days, their volunteer instructors will deliver a first-rate shooting curriculum using nothing more exotic than a 10/22, a cotton sling, 400 rounds of .22 LR, and a 25 yard range. It sounds like child's play....but I guarantee that if you apply what they teach there to the level where you can earn their "Rifleman" patch, you'll be shooting at least 15/20 on Form's test.

Personally, I think that I'll be looking for an inexpensive 7.62 X 39 bolt gun for my own practice over the next year (since I'm already well set up for .22 LR). In Canada, it's cheaper to feed an X39 than it is to feed a .223.

One question....have any of the members here attempted this test using an actual shooting sling in lieu of a carrying strap? Specifically, something like a Rhodesian, Ching, or CW sling? I know that when I'm shooting from kneeling, sitting, or prone unsupported there is a huge improvement in my own ability to put rounds on target quickly when using a quality shooting sling.

Last edited:

WKR
Well, hell...

I can't buy the swfa 6x due to backorder, and its hell to find the dang tikka .223 as well...

Considering .308 or 6.5 tikka. Ammo cost isn't much different currently. It would be capable much further...

The 6x is backordered but the have the 3-9 in the same scope.

Thoughts?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well, hell...

I can't buy the swfa 6x due to backorder, and its hell to find the dang tikka .223 as well...

Considering .308 or 6.5 tikka. Ammo cost isn't much different currently. It would be capable much further...

Thoughts?

I got on board with a tikka 6.5 with the SWFA 6x and mounted it with sports match rings. I’d rather have the 3-9 honestly but it’s a nice setup to get out and do some practice with.

Well, hell...

Thoughts?
Scheels in Sandy, Utah usually has a stainless Tikka .223 in stock. You might call and see if you can purchase over the phone and have it shipped to your FFL. Good luck finding 223 ammo though

Also, swfa had a demo sale for awhile where you could get a demo 3-9 for $460. If they still have them, it'd be worth it