Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
There has been a trend away from the traditional very low prone position to having your rifle higher and head more upright, which allows using the center of your eye rather than the upper quadrant to look through.
Give it a try and you will probably find you want to move your scope back a bit and it will be more comfortable from all positions
Interesting. I'm probably a low prone guy. Always try to get down, rifle into me, and head as far forward on the stock as I can. Any links/videos/photos on high prone?

Also, why the shift? What are the benefits?

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I'm probably a low prone guy. Always try to get down, rifle into me, and head as far forward on the stock as I can. Any links/videos/photos on high prone?

Also, why the shift? What are the benefits?
Do you have an adjustable cheek piece? If so, try adjusting it without looking through a scope (preferably with no scope mounted) until you find the most comfortable position.

I found that I was mounting my scopes too low and the strain introduced by having my neck at an awkward position was not helping. I found I was much more comfortable running higher and felt more comfortable in all positions.

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have an adjustable cheek piece? If so, try adjusting it without looking through a scope (preferably with no scope mounted) until you find the most comfortable position.

I found that I was mounting my scopes too low and the strain introduced by having my neck at an awkward position was not helping. I found I was much more comfortable running higher and felt more comfortable in all positions.
All makes sense. I don't have an easily adjustable cheekpiece but I've built one up with 3d printed riser, foam, and vetwrap. I can add to it and give new welds a try. Thanks!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There has been a trend away from the traditional very low prone position to having your rifle higher and head more upright, which allows using the center of your eye rather than the upper quadrant to look through.
Give it a try and you will probably find you want to move your scope back a bit and it will be more comfortable from all positions

In part it comes from precision rifle where you bring the rifle in close to your neck, centered on your body for optimal recoil management for spotting shots and watching trace.

To do that, the scope needs to be higher because your neck won't bend that way.

It also improves consistency in form for shooting outright.

Dobermann

WKR
I'm not Form, but Phil Velayo is one of the top competitive precision shooters and instructors. Without looking too hard, you'll find info about his service, training/teachers, competition performance, podcast, and his online training program.

woods89

WKR
This post needs to stay close to the top. Now that hunting season is over I intend to work on this type of shooting a bunch.

I also love shooting steel, and have an old sawhorse rigged up with a 4'' gong and an 8'' gong hung from nylon straps. I can shoot 200 yds on my place. I shoot this sometimes similarly to this drill for something different.

I have become a huge believer in having a lightweight 223. It's one of the best things that has happened for my proficiency.

Sure! Can I do that via here or just a thingiverse link? To be clear it's not a riser assembly it's just a rail of sorts that sits atop the stock, is topped with foam, and then wrapped in vetwrap.

Thingiverse link would be awesome if you got it. If not PM me and we’ll figure something else out.

Antares

WKR
This thread is killer. Great information here. I haven’t done much shooting since hunting season ended, but reading this thread just got me pumped and I pulled my .22 out of the safe. I’ll post up the results. Thanks Form.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
49D8C6E6-1937-43A1-8F10-D7497D12BB28.jpeg

From classic marksmanship perspective (and history which is more important), Appleseed is great and I think everyone should attend.

From a shooting rifles optimally in the field perspective, no. Sling use can be a great asset, it also introduces torque into the system. The offset body position required to use a sling is not neutral, and therefor makes spotting your own impacts much harder when not using a sling. Both things effect most people’s POI.