Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
There is a difference in how you grip for trigger control and recoil control between an AR and bolt gun though.
Would you be willing to expound on this? I struggle to consistently group with my AR.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
what did you do to get your butt pad adjustable?
It’s technically not adjustable, just offset. I used an aftermarket Limbsaver air tech pad, but I’m sure you could do the same with the factory pad. I simply drilled new holes in the buttpad and used the same screws that are holding the factory pad on to make it index higher.
D1EEE010-E899-46A0-ADD9-8023EB304812.jpeg

Fun fact: KRG’s adjustable butt plate assembly fits a tikka stock pretty darn close but will add some length of pull.

Blaw

WKR
It’s technically not adjustable, just offset. I used an aftermarket Limbsaver air tech pad, but I’m sure you could do the same with the factory pad. I simply drilled new holes in the buttpad and used the same screws that are holding the factory pad on to make it index higher.
View attachment 328626

Fun fact: KRG’s adjustable butt plate assembly fits a tikka stock pretty darn close but will add some length of pull.
Sweet!!! Do you get some funny open space on the bottom of the stock now that the butt pad has been raised?

eric1115

WKR
Ok I shot this and didn't do very well. What sort of equipment can I buy to improve my results? Ran my .300 WM. I only had half of my box of ammo left since I shot it quite a bit last year, so I got another box that was almost the same grain bullets. I think it was still sighted in pretty good from last hunting season.

😉

Dobermann

WKR
Ok I shot this and didn't do very well. What sort of equipment can I buy to improve my results? Ran my .300 WM. I only had half of my box of ammo left since I shot it quite a bit last year, so I got another box that was almost the same grain bullets. I think it was still sighted in pretty good from last hunting season.

😉
Bro ... put a Lee-a-pold scope on there and it will fix everything.

Make sure it's one of their really light models, though - I heard one of their marketing guys on a podcast recently saying that lighter scopes were actually more reliable than heavy scopes.

Man, y'all are approaching rifle shooting like I approach my trad bow. I like it! I'm not a great rifle shot, but I have developed a keen awareness of when I should NOT break the trigger. It's helped a ton at putting animals in freezers without a rodeo, and yes, there are animals that have slipped away because I couldn't steady up.

A couple random questions:
1. what the heck is parallax adjustment? I've been shooting the same 3x9 burris on an ancient '06 for 20 years or so, and never touched a thing but the magnification dial, and I've shot plenty of deer out to 350-400 yards that way.
2. Is there a resource for learning proper recoil management? I'd never even heard of spotting shots through the scope until Rokslide. I don't know if it's doable with a 30-06, but I'd like to try and improve. My current strategy is to just use my naked eyes after the shot to diagnose their reaction while I prep the rifle to shoot again.

Don’t worry about parallax just concentrate on a good full site picture.If you are looking through the center of the optical field parallax is not an issue
You won’t be able to spot your shots through the scope with a 3006, just concentrate on good follow through.
Spotting and calling shots through the scope is more a long range target type of thing, for example when you have a distant shot blown off course by the wind and want to compensate with the follow up shot

Recoil management generally involves being passive behind the rifle and absorbing recoil without reacting to it so you don’t steer the shot away from the target before the bullet leaves the barrel

A couple of things to concentrate on are being square behind the rifle and in the prone supported position don’t let the butt of the rifle drop down off the shoulder during recoil

Recoil management generally involves being passive behind the rifle and absorbing recoil without reacting to it so you don’t steer the shot away from the target before the bullet leaves the barrel

A couple of things to concentrate on are being square behind the rifle and in the prone supported position don’t let the butt of the rifle drop down off the shoulder during recoil
What do you mean by square to the rifle? Holding it at a perpendicular angle to your torso? Doesn't that add a lot of side torque if you're at all fatigued?