Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

TX_Diver

WKR
Quick look shows there are at least 10 different shot-timer apps for a phone, only one of which is a pay app. Anyone that has tried these and can recommend one?

I didn't like the app I tried.

Get a boxing timer if you want something that you can set a countdown on and then have a timer (i.e. you could set a 10 second countdown, set your phone down behind you, and then start on the buzzer, then it'll buzz again in 20 seconds).

I have a shot timer but usually just use a regular timer to make sure I'm within the 20 seconds.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
yup, try an "interval timer." Used for boxing or for air bike circuits.

I usually set mine for 15 seconds count down, then 1 min to do my thing, then BEEP. (Then usually followed by swearing.)

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks, I have a timer that does that, wondering if any of the actual shot timer apps that’ll show splits, etc. work reasonably well.

But you don’t just shoot the hunting drill over and over. It’s a test. It shows you where you are weak, and then you work the skills that apply to that individually.

This drill reminds me a lot of one of the pass/fail shooting test at the Marine Designated Marksmen school at Dam Neck. I thought I was a good shooter till that school. Afterwards (and all the practice & real world after that) I completely revised my standards. It is great to see standards and drills like this getting more exposure.

Now just add a 100 yd dash with gear to the shooting position on the shot timer next. :)

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
i remember beginning reading this a couple of years ago. something must have stuck because I just acquired a 223 bolt gun to prep for an upcoming hunt. looking forward to the practice. this thread is as good as the OG .223 thread I think.

Rooggvc

WKR
What is a good bulk .223 ammo to practice with? I am looking at getting a 1/8 Tikka and running this drill. Would 55 FMJ work well just for practicing? I am concerned they won't meet the accuracy requirements of the drill, and I would find myself chasing my tail.

TheUgly

FNG
What is a good bulk .223 ammo to practice with? I am looking at getting a 1/8 Tikka and running this drill. Would 55 FMJ work well just for practicing? I am concerned they won't meet the accuracy requirements of the drill, and I would find myself chasing my tail.
I’ve had good luck with Hornady 68gr and 75gr BTHP in my Tikka for this drill. As long as the ammo can group <1.5” at 100y, you should be good to go.

Bluumoon

WKR
Wolf ammo, steel case and gold (slightly better) puts out a shotgun pattern in the 2 1:8 twist tikkas I’ve seen it used in.

I’ve been shooting a lot of paper at 50/100 lately with both a .22 and .223. A ton of positional work from low/high kneeling supported, sitting supported, and prone. Between this and dryfire, I’ve been able to signiifcantly improve despite only shooting once every 3-4 weeks. Due to my job, I don’t have time to reload and have been shooting factory exclusively.

With that, here’s a few things I’ve picked up that may be useful for some of you:

Tikka .223 + cheapo Hornady black 75grHPBT is the most cost effective method of practicing with .223 I’ve found. I’m cheating a bit, because I put the Tikka in my ESS chassis. Regardless, I’m capable of practicing at 100yds in a variety of positions (ie. Kraft Challenge), while still knowing that if a 12 round group is over 1.5”, it’s my fault. Plus, I can consistently hit 2 MOA targets at 700+ yds with it, no fuss. It’s just stupid fun, easy, and affordable.

Eley sport/force/club ammo for the Tikka T1x is the best I’ve found so far when it comes to performance for the price for the T1x. It’s consistent, feeds well, and maintains one hole groups for 10 rounds at 50 yds easily. I can buy a 500 round case up here for under $100.

If I’m tight on time, I’ll take a bottle cap or 1” sticker targets and make 15 circles on cardboard. Then I’ll shoot the T1x from 50 yds from low single leg kneeling, double kneeling, and sitting either off pack/poles, or from tripod. Typically, I’ll shoot 10 rounds per circle, five times. So, in total, I’m shooting 50 rounds per position in one session with the .22. The goal is to keep all rounds within the 1” circle. This gets my positional shooting tuned up quickly and has translated into major improvement in my ability to hit 2MOA targets at distance from these positions under time constraint. Plus it’s cheap as hell and easy to set up.

Anyways, just some things I’d thought may provide some value. I’m looking forward to getting out and chasing some elk here soon. Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity

to validate this training.

PS. I sourced a SWFA 6x per @Formidilosus recommendation. The PST I currently have on the T1x will be replaced in short order. I’m looking forward to not having to chase a zero.

Attachments

• 07BB6F76-FFDE-4252-BE9A-027A0E39423C.png
    07BB6F76-FFDE-4252-BE9A-027A0E39423C.png
    861.4 KB · Views: 104
  • CEFC8CE2-430C-45EF-AB52-468A1BBB0243.png
    CEFC8CE2-430C-45EF-AB52-468A1BBB0243.png
    1 MB · Views: 102
  • 8AD7486B-5694-496E-8503-46DB89F9D775.png
    8AD7486B-5694-496E-8503-46DB89F9D775.png
    947.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 1BAAB4BB-8D80-4472-B34D-FA7A34D53A7F.png
    1BAAB4BB-8D80-4472-B34D-FA7A34D53A7F.png
    1 MB · Views: 100
  • EDECD2F6-1954-4FCB-9D51-9AA470BC439C.jpeg
    EDECD2F6-1954-4FCB-9D51-9AA470BC439C.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 3E4A80C7-72A5-4BA3-BFF6-BF53616F622C.png
    3E4A80C7-72A5-4BA3-BFF6-BF53616F622C.png
    807.6 KB · Views: 89
  • BB97757B-40E4-474C-8E95-247C4B5CDE64.png
    BB97757B-40E4-474C-8E95-247C4B5CDE64.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
also, this was a really good watch... I've never shot prone before until recently and this was super helpful. guy barely blinks when shooting. I'm not quite there yet.
I grew up with Phil. It was wild to see he became a Marine Corp Sniper and then a super respected PRS instructor. Pretty amazing watching experienced shooters of their thing. Clearly lots of reps

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
A couple more new shooters/hunters or people that have hunted but we’re not skilled shooters, that were trained in this drill that used it this year so far. All performed correctly. I’ll have a couple of very new hunters and shooter in the next few weeks on their first animals. They have been almost solely trained on this drill…. I will report how it goes on their first animals.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
A couple more new shooters/hunters or people that have hunted but we’re not skilled shooters, that were trained in this drill that used it this year so far. All performed correctly. I’ll have a couple of very new hunters and shooter in the next few weeks on their first animals. They have been almost solely trained on this drill…. I will report how it goes on their first animals.

As an update-

I was directly involved with 20 elk killed this year, as well as deer. We had more first time hunters and very seasoned hunters and shooters that have not been trained/practiced on the Hunting Rifle Drill than any year prior.

Every person that had at least two days with my group practicing the Hunting Rifle drill, or who practiced and trained themselves on it killed their animals without issue.
Every person that had not been trained on it, had significant issues getting on the elk, building a position quickly enough, and quickly and competently manipulating the rifle. Once they did get into position, there were issues with those people finding the animal in the scope, using too much power and losing the animal, quickly and correctly reloading the rifle after the first shot, etc, etc. We had more sub optimal shots on animals this year than our group has had in any 3-4 year period combined in the last decade.
All animals that got touched were recovered, though there were a couple tense moments for the hunters.

The difference between very experienced hunters that had not specifically practiced the hunting rifle drill- regardless of other shooting practice or competition experience; and those who specifically have trained the hunting rifle drill were stark- to the point that those we were hunting with/on asked that only those who had been trained/practiced correctly come in the future.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Wrong thread.

Attachments

• 7cnnbt.jpg
    7cnnbt.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

woods89

WKR
Bringing this back up as spring is here, and it's time to shoot!

I have a bull and a buck from the last 2 years that likely would not have made it into my freezer without the practice this drill spawned.