Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
While shooting steel plates in the mountains with wind, putting paper plates up at random distances, etc is great, if you can’t hit a 2 moa dot at 100 yards on demand from field positions in a realistic timeframe, trying to hit an 8” plate at 458 yards is a wast of time and money.

Just like a correct program for strength and fitness has a base, this is a part of the base program for learning to use a rifle competently.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Id be plugging away with the 223 but now that people are crazy buying the crap out of it I’d rather save my case of ammo for a location and time when I feel I’ll get more out of it.

Got you. What scopes are you using?

Another dumb question, it’s not a bolt action, obviously an ar, is that good practice or is the switch from semi auto and grip too fundamentally different than a bolt rifle?

Not dumb at all.

The AR is good. If that’s what you got, use it. There is a difference in how you grip for trigger control and recoil control between an AR and bolt gun though. Being immediately ready for a follow up shot (aka- rapid bolt manipulation and keeping you eye and gun on the target) is probably the number one thing that nearly everyone fails at. It requires practice to do so subconsciously. That, safety manipulation, and reloading are things that need to be added in if using one or the other.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Got you. What scopes are you using?

Iv got an swfa 3-9 on my 22lr right now. It’s a 1.5 minute gun, nothing special, but I like taking it out to 200. My 223 is wearing a nightforce shv f1. Iv got an athlon Midas tac on a 6.5 creed I’m building up for matches that I don’t trust what so ever.

Iv also got a few builds in the works and am looking to get at least one more scope this year.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How do we feel about dry fire?

Every day.

Iv got an swfa 3-9 on my 22lr right now.

Using mils, if you know how to use wind brackets, with .22’s it generally works out to a 6-8 mph bracket of .1mil per 10 yards instead of per 100. Can work the wind correcting skills at sub 100 easily with a bit of wind.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks form, my 233 is 20” rra I use for vermin hunting. Thought you might answer the way you did.

Another dumb question, it’s not a bolt action, obviously an ar, is that good practice or is the switch from semi auto and grip too fundamentally different than a bolt rifle?

Semi auto is good training tool for fundamentals. But if your main hunting rifle is bolt action, I’d recommend at least simulating the motion of chambering a new round manually.

Maintaining or re-gaining a sight picture while simultaneously reloading for a follow up shot is something a lot of shooters don’t practice anywhere near enough. Shooting ground squirrels and rabbits is fantastic for this because they are usually grouped up.

I shot this little crew of cottontails a couple weeks back with a bolt action rifle within a span of about 10 seconds total from first shot to last shot... Shoot the first, they scramble. Rack a round while still maintaining a sight picture to both confirm the kill and follow to the next rabbit. Rinse and repeat.

Works the same for squirrels as well. Yardages change slightly too if they cover ground up hill or run off. It’s good practice to re-confirm your yardage quickly and also teaches you how to judge distances covered while still having the animal in your sight picture.

AD16A5A7-2066-4CC0-8FC7-47812DBC377A.jpeg

16Bore

WKR
The most important thing I know about trigger time is to shoot in the present tense.

Thanks for this post and all the great info. Going to give this drill a try.

I bought the ‘practice special’ early last summer (T3X SuperLite 223) and have put almost 800 rounds through it since. It’s been my most easy and fun to shoot rifle and has been great for practicing out to 700 or so.

Been shooting a ton of Federal GMM and the reman bluebox 77gr before that. Ordered some some Frontier 75gr to try stuff as it’s way cheaper. If anyone has suggestions for accurate ammo for a better price than Federal I’m all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While shooting steel plates in the mountains with wind, putting paper plates up at random distances, etc is great, if you can’t hit a 2 moa dot at 100 yards on demand from field positions in a realistic timeframe, trying to hit an 8” plate at 458 yards is a wast of time and money.

Just like a correct program for strength and fitness has a base, this is a part of the base program for learning to use a rifle competently.

Agreed. Like I mentioned, its more of a verification than anything. Obviously it isn’t something you do on a picture perfect day and take all the time in the world... but honestly at 500-600 how much of a time crunch are you really sitting on though? You’re most likely taking aim at an animal who isn’t aware of your presence and honestly at those distances you should be taking your time and waiting on the right shot. At 200-300 I 100% agree with you on trying to start from scratch and getting in position as fast as possible.

brushape

WKR
Awesome post, I shoot a lot throughout the year but still want to shoot more. I am going to try this out new week when I get a change and also want to run my dad through the ringer on it he gets zero practice these last few years

I went down the long range money sink for a couple of years. Spent a lot of money, though I did actually shoot out to 1200 yards so it wasn't all pretend. In my money-spending craze I did buy a .22lr suppressor and 4 centerfire suppressors though, so I made some good decisions in it even if by accident.

ericF

WKR
This is my preferred practice. I’m lucky to have access to mountains to train in. Humping in a steel plate and rebar frame with a rifle and ammo is great physical training too.

I still have a lot of room for improvement. Last year I got very comfortable with first round hits out to 500 yards, but hit a wall there I couldn’t get past for a few reasons. This year’s to-do’s are rebarrel and restock my Tikka (done), possibly a scope upgrade if funds allow, work up a load for the new tube, and practice practice practice.

I’ll try the routine posted by Form. Sounds great for days that a trip into the mountains isn’t possible.
d1a467fedbf7479fe48ce300a0ca8aea.jpg

That is a nice steel setup for the mountains. If you don't mind, what company sells the green braces to hold everything together. I don't think I've seen that setup before.

Sled

WKR
The company is called Last Stand. I use it too. I love it. Give your rebar a thin wipe down of WD-40.

i use the same for my larger targets. i spray paint mine to match surroundings and leave in place or under a tree. i'll transport the plastic parts but all that steel gets heavy. the rest of my targets are attached to dead trees and again painted to match. one small dot to help identify it in the scope.