Erratic arrow flight

Thought I'd reach out to ya'll and see what your thoughts were. I'm new to archery, I've only been shooting for about 4 months, but I practice daily.

My set-up: PSE Drive NXT, 70lb draw, 30in DL.
Stock 300 spine Axis 5mm arrows with 100gr FP.
Hamskea hybrid hunter rest.
Black gold ascent verdict 3 pin dovetail.
B3 claw release (just broke), so shooting my backup today, B3 Rival.

Last week I went to the shop and picked up some new arrows. Also had them check the cam timing and sight axis'. First session at my folks property, I adjusted my pins and was getting decent groups at 20, 30 yards. I backed up and shot at 40 and 50 yards for the first time (I usually just shoot at 20, its the farthest I can shoot in my yard). I had some high right fliers, but I ended on a decent group (pictured). I just figured the fliers were due to shooting further than usual, and I'd adjust rest/sight once I got more consistent groups. I shot again at my house since (again at 20yds), groups were decent.

So today, at my folks and I am at 30yds. The arrows are either going where I want them, or I am completely missing the target, sending arrows into the woods. Also had some fliers high right. I had 2 arrows auger in the ground about 5 feet in front of the target. Backed up to 40yds and had similar results. Arrows either hitting well or all over the target.

I couldn't figure out what was going on. I really focused on good form and shot process. I've numbered my arrows, there was no pattern to which ones flew well and which ones were way off. It was windier than usual today, but I was in the woods and not far enough to think it would throw them that off course.

Is it a spine issue? vane clearance? These axis arrows are 60gr heavier than my other ones and I haven't paper tuned them yet, would that have something to do with it?

Sorry for the length, just trying to be thorough.

Attachments

• 20220324_161031.jpg
    20220324_161031.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 44

jte5013

FNG
I probably just set something up poorly, but I have nearly the same setup (drive nxt and hunter hybred) and had a flier issue too. My quiver drifted down and part of it contacted part of the rest which led to some of the time it dropped correctly, sometimes not.

Check the rest activation cord. There's quite a bit of slack in the cord at full draw, and I've seen them occasionally get caught in/on something (quiver, sight bracket/bar, cam), which causes the rest to stay up longer and contact the vanes.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Unless you have severe target panic I would also agree that it is a contact issue.

JoeDirt

WKR
I had a similar setup and erratic flight, I over thought the whole issue. I fought and fought to correct the issue even taking the bow to multiple bow shops where everyone said "it looks great"

It ended up being arrow spine. I cut 1" off my arrow length (short as possible) That fixed everything! Even though it would paper tune it was not recovering fast enough for consistent flight.

I would always start my season checking timing and shooting through paper though.

87TT

WKR
Try to eliminate one thing at a time. Put some marking compound on the rest to check for contact. Then really look at your form/ release (target panic). Anchor point etc.

Syng2015

FNG
Not sure if you've made any progress, but try one thing at a time, and try everything. Never assume you know the cause unless you see a reason for it. I've tried a lot on my setup over time. You probably have a few things compounding.

Arrow might be too weak, and too long, which will make it sensitive to other issues. At 70# and 30", you'd have to cut the arrow to 28 ish of carbon and you might still be under spined.

There might be a part loose on your bow somewhere (cam, riser, sight, rest) causing wobble or vibration.

Replace your nocks and square your arrows. You'd be surprised how much a difference new nocks make.

Drop the poundage, and check the timing. This could help identify further issues.

Check your string. Serving separation or wear in the string in the cam track will wreak havoc on your accuracy.

You get the idea. Could be anything from a loose limb pocket to splintered arrows. Unless you told us what you changed and how that affected groups, we can only shoot in the dark. Hope this helps and hope you figure it out.

jimh406

WKR
Eliminate the arrows including vane indexing and nock indexing. Just shoot the same arrows that do hit well over and over if you run out of arrows, it's not the arrows. But, I'd start with them.

nphunter

WKR
Cut the fletchings off of one of the arrows and shoot a bare shaft. Start close, 10 yards, shoot the arrow pull and shoot it again, if you don't have erratic flight then it's a contact issue. If you are still all over the place then it's most likely you.

OP
F
Thanks for the responses. I think I was getting fletching contact on my buss cables or the launcher arm on my rest. I believe I've gotten it resolved.