TX vs CO

• Tx

Votes: 25 32.9%
  • Co

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Other

Votes: 27 35.5%

• Total voters
$3500 is what I would call the higher average cost lease. I lease my ranch for $2500 per hunter. They have 1000 acres and a cabin to stay in 365 days/year and the license to hunt AND fish (fresh and saltwater) everywhere in the state is $68. I still hunt Colorado, but you can't beat being able to head out to the ranch anytime you want. This ranch is 80 northwest of San Antonio. All of this game was taken in the last 2 years

View attachment 216049View attachment 216050View attachment 216051View attachment 216052View attachment 216053View attachment 216054View attachment 216056

I'd gladly pay $2500 for opportunities like that.

EastMT

WKR
$3500 is what I would call the higher average cost lease. I lease my ranch for $2500 per hunter. They have 1000 acres and a cabin to stay in 365 days/year and the license to hunt AND fish (fresh and saltwater) everywhere in the state is $68. I still hunt Colorado, but you can't beat being able to head out to the ranch anytime you want. This ranch is 80 northwest of San Antonio. In case you didn’t read this whole thread, it is low fenced and 100% free range. Hogs and exotics can be hunted year round and don’t require any tags, just a hunting license. All of this game was taken in the last 2 years

And no, I am not looking for more lessors. We are full with long time guys

View attachment 216049View attachment 216050View attachment 216051View attachment 216052View attachment 216053View attachment 216054View attachment 216056

If that’s what you enjoy, happy hunting. I just like western style. I’m currently planning an 8.7 mile hike into an area that is only accessible via one route, through some rough land, drinking from dirty old ponds on BLM ground, carrying a deer back out that I probably could have gotten road hunting. That’s what I love, if I don’t get a thing I’ll be as thrilled as kid at Christmas. Different strokes and all. But since I can’t hunt goats and sheep any more without a guide, I’ll make up ways to suffer!

If that’s what you enjoy, happy hunting. I just like western style. I’m currently planning an 8.7 mile hike into an area that is only accessible via one route, through some rough land, drinking from dirty old ponds on BLM ground, carrying a deer back out that I probably could have gotten road hunting. That’s what I love, if I don’t get a thing I’ll be as thrilled as kid at Christmas. Different strokes and all. But since I can’t hunt goats and sheep any more without a guide, I’ll make up ways to suffer!

Who said my kind of Texas ranch hunting was exclusive? I am leaving on October 5 for an elk hunt in Colorado. But the season is 5 days long!! The longest rifle season is 9 days. Or you can do what I will be doing in a couple years when I retire: bowhunt for a whole month. But that still leaves 11 months....

And as far as Mule Deer..... this is mine from last year.

F11F443D-745B-4705-89B0-D7E434318BFC.jpeg

Actually I ultimately couldn’t make the choice and finally bought a cabin in Colorado. When I retire in 2 years it will be summers and fall in Colorado and winters in Texas. But will remain a Texas resident!

Reactions: TFP

Jbehredt

WKR
Do people really avoid areas based on political views? Seems crazy, seems liberals do not allow other’s views to restrict where they move and live.

You have to put some thought into it. If you move to Colorado with a 17rd glock magazine in your uhaul you could be jailed....... liberal politicians pass liberal laws.

brsnow

WKR
Cost of living, rioting and crime all stand to affect me. The growing rural drug problem, not so much. Admittedly there is some property crime associated with that. On balance though, when I scour the landscape for my retirement destination, it's most often conservative places that I find most attractive.
You have to put some thought into it. If you move to Colorado with a 17rd glock magazine in your uhaul you could be jailed....... liberal politicians pass liberal laws.

It clearly doesn’t stop Texans from moving here. Perhaps we are just better shots here as well

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Wow didn't expect this response thank you all for your inputs. Just read through everything so in short:

1. Politically I claim middle stance, lean towards libertarian. The wife leans blue but not crazy, that would be my in-laws lol.

2. Not moving for Political reasons tbh, I just think LA is way over populated. I'm in the Pasadena/ Monrovia area that's on fire. And work downtown to Southbank to the Hollywood hills. Takes 1.5 to 2 hours to go 20-30 miles someday.

3. As for work I am a wallpaper hanger, the wife works in qc pharmaceutical, i specialize in high end residential ie actors and what not. (Patton Oswalt newest stand has a joke about wallpaper that was about me..Kirby)

4. We loved the Arvada Broomfield area been 2x on scouting trips. Haven't been to west Texas. But we are on Co because we just enjoyed the people and beauty of it.
Tx we love the idea of stretching the dollar. But still would like to be in a suburb area not drawn to big cities per say.

5. Looking for a place that allows me to raise the kids not crowded, retire my mother. Which on that note gotta sell the area to my wife and mother. If I had it my way id move to AK isk why just seems far away lol.

6. The commute to hunt doesn't bother me much part of the fun to me. I do love to waterfowl hunt to.

7. Never thought of Okie I'll look into it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

And most of those liberal politicians we have........aren't even from CO. They moved here just so they could get into politics and then ruin our state as well. It's unreal how much so much of the state has changed from that. The northern front range used to be very conservative and these days it might as well be Boulder. Same for the Springs.

Colorado is not going to be much different than california, It's policies are pushed by one area in Denver and the rest of the state other than the Bow down's in Boulder have to suffer because of it

Wow didn't expect this response thank you all for your inputs. Just read through everything so in short:

1. Politically I claim middle stance, lean towards libertarian. The wife leans blue but not crazy, that would be my in-laws lol.

2. Not moving for Political reasons tbh, I just think LA is way over populated. I'm in the Pasadena/ Monrovia area that's on fire. And work downtown to Southbank to the Hollywood hills. Takes 1.5 to 2 hours to go 20-30 miles someday.

3. As for work I am a wallpaper hanger, the wife works in qc pharmaceutical, i specialize in high end residential ie actors and what not. (Patton Oswalt newest stand has a joke about wallpaper that was about me..Kirby)

4. We loved the Arvada Broomfield area been 2x on scouting trips. Haven't been to west Texas. But we are on Co because we just enjoyed the people and beauty of it.
Tx we love the idea of stretching the dollar. But still would like to be in a suburb area not drawn to big cities per say.

5. Looking for a place that allows me to raise the kids not crowded, retire my mother. Which on that note gotta sell the area to my wife and mother. If I had it my way id move to AK isk why just seems far away lol.

6. The commute to hunt doesn't bother me much part of the fun to me. I do love to waterfowl hunt to.

Regarding your second point: depending on where you move to TX, you will not be escaping over-population or traffic. My 11 mile commute has taken over an hour just about more times than my sanity can handle. I'm currently in Dallas, FWIW.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
this. the heat is horrible.
there are things I like here in TX, but if not for family being here, I'd move out west
Same here dude. I love Tx but the heat gets old. I go bass fishing at midnight during the summer. Bow season is miserable. The second month of rifle season it gets ok.

stonewall

WKR
Same here dude. I love Tx but the heat gets old. I go bass fishing at midnight during the summer. Bow season is miserable. The second month of rifle season it gets ok.
i've worn flip flops in the tree stand a couple times lol. pretty sure the deer smelled my feet though...

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider

You could go to Belton texas. That is about as family friendly as I have ever seen. Plus if you like whitetail , there are so many deer out there you can take your 5 deer limit in a weekend if you really want.
I would second Okie too. Went to OK State for college. Loved it up there.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Not really answering your question but if you haven't, it would be worth your time to take a look at the Phoenix area. I moved here from Pasadena just over 1 year ago and it's been fantastic. Cost of living is a fraction of what it is CA, the outdoor opportunities are vast and when I want to get back to SoCal it's a quick 6 hour drive. My biggest gripe is that summer heat is truly awful but you'll have heat and humidity in TX. Best of luck!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do people really avoid areas based on political views?

When liberalism is the greatest threat to our American way of life and our nation........absolutely you have to bring that into the equation. When there's a choice between living in an insane asylum or living in a place where you still have freedom and liberties..........why wouldn't people make that a top priority?

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Not really answering your question but if you haven't, it would be worth your time to take a look at the Phoenix area. I moved here from Pasadena just over 1 year ago and it's been fantastic. Cost of living is a fraction of what it is CA, the outdoor opportunities are vast and when I want to get back to SoCal it's a quick 6 hour drive. My biggest gripe is that summer heat is truly awful but you'll have heat and humidity in TX. Best of luck!

We've thought of phoenix but the wife was not pleased when we went on a weekend scouting trip. So the higher power on that one wins lol.

boom

WKR
i once went to visit a girl in Austin. ended up staying a year and a half. hey, she was hot!!

but humidity sucks. it really sucks.

brsnow

WKR
When liberalism is the greatest threat to our American way of life and our nation........absolutely you have to bring that into the equation. When there's a choice between living in an insane asylum or living in a place where you still have freedom and liberties..........why wouldn't people make that a top priority?

you used the word “our” I believe your thinking pertains to you.

Colorado is fullup...fresh out of spots....check back....later..dont believe me? Come hit any trailhead on a weekday after 8 am and try finding a place to park...and this isnt just the front range...central and western Colorado are crawling with homo sapiens....this pandemic didnt work...