Votes: 25 32.9%
  • Co

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Other

Votes: 27 35.5%

• Total voters

schmalzy

WKR
Live and work in Houston. Only reason we are here is COL and a booming construction economy. If I had my choice I’d be in AZ, which to me is a happy medium of TX and CO.

There is public land to hunt in TX but you got to want it. Tough to beat TX, or Houston and DFW for job availability, COL, good gun laws, and jammin food. Weather sucks but you get used to it. If you like fishing, the gulf is pretty awesome. Fly fishing for reds on the coast is a ton of fun.

All that being said, id leave tomorrow morning if the Economic winds changed. TX has a ton of opportunity, just don’t expect it to be a western state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Not completely relevant but wife and I moved from NY to PA and it was one of the best decisions we ever made. It's scary to move from all you ever knew but it's important IMO to see what else is out there.

Good luck. My wife became much more conservative in her views since we moved here which is also a plus, she sees what ruined NY and we both want to avoid that here.

Her family couldn't believe it when she pulled out her carry license at Christmas. :ROFLMAO:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
you used the word “our” I believe your thinking pertains to you.

Actually my thinking pertains to "America and the American way of life......as it was founded", whether I exist or not. It's not about me or you, it's about the nation. That's not a "mine" or "yours"........that's an "ours". And that seems to be the biggest problem these days. So many that live here and grew up here seem to hate the American way of life, yet millions from all around the world risk death just trying to get here so they too can live the American way of life. There's no other nation in the world like ours........and yes, I said "ours" whether you like America or not. I just can't fathom why so many here that hate America would rather ruin the best nation on earth rather than just leave to one of other dozens of nations that they're trying to change America into. That's mindboggling.

brsnow

WKR
Actually my thinking pertains to "America and the American way of life......as it was founded", whether I exist or not. It's not about me or you, it's about the nation. That's not a "mine" or "yours"........that's an "ours". And that seems to be the biggest problem these days. So many that live here and grew up here seem to hate the American way of life, yet millions from all around the world risk death just trying to get here so they too can live the American way of life. There's no other nation in the world like ours........and yes, I said "ours" whether you like America or not. I just can't fathom why so many here that hate America would rather ruin the best nation on earth rather than just leave to one of other dozens of nations that they're trying to change America into. That's mindboggling.
The same debate going on today is the same debate that created what our country was founded on. Your romantic idea of your belief and how you live is some how the pure form our founding fathers is interesting. I am just trying to figure out if you actually believe it or are just trolling people.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Moving to a different part of the country is an exciting adventure. I was born and raised in South Texas. I was fortunate enough to grow up on a large property where hunting, shooting and fishing was just an everyday thing. it wasn't something that I ever had to plan for. I was also close to the gulf coast and great fishing.

I moved to San Diego, Ca for the military and stayed out there as a civilian for about 3 years, surfing, running triathlon and being a typical Southern Californian.

Moved back to Texas for a few years to do some hunting and shooting, and then back to California to go back to the good job I had, and then back to Texas for 5 years of non-stop hunting and fishing, mostly hogs, whitetail, ducks, dove, alligator and the occasional squirrel. Fishing was mostly in the bays and we usually limited out long before we are ready to leave.

From there I moved to Colorado with grand plans of hunting elk and mule deer. I learned real quick that you spend all year planning for a couple of days of hunting depending on how much free time you have. I've been pretty disenchanted with it but have adjusted, mainly by not having my life revolve around hunting. The outdoors in Colorado are amazing and endless. When I first moved out there I had my eye on the Springs and Denver area. All I have to say is forget that! There's so much more to Colorado. My spots were around Kenosha Valley, Fairplay, Alma, Breckenridge, and on another route Buena Vista, Leadville, and Climax area. That's Colorado! But those places are usually not within good commuting distance to a decent job. I was lucky enough to travel for work and I can live wherever.

I now live in Montana and was just getting my head wrapped around the hunting until 2020 kicked off. Enough said about that.

What I'll say is, compared to where I grew up in Texas, I feel like Colorado is extremely liberal. I felt it more there than San Diego. They have their own brand of conservatives, but they still seemed like hippies to me. I did make some good friends there though and I don't get too caught up in politics when it comes to my overall opinion about someone.

Montana is nice and definitely has a less populated feel to it, which is priceless. But I've only been there for a year and I'm still figuring things out.

The freedom I had in Texas was tainted by a mixture of heat, humidity and mosquitoes that can make just about anything hard to enjoy. When I say heat, just know that I've spent time in Death Valley, Murrieta, Lake Elsinore when the bank clocks say it's 121 outside, and Texas takes it to a whole other level with humidity.

Texas is where the jobs are if that makes a difference.

Colorado has a few jobs too. Montana....not so much.

robtattoo

WKR
Quick question, but have you considered any eastern states?
I went through 3 solid years of research before I emigrated here from the UK. I had 48 solid choices, all of which had their own appeal.
I finally settled on Tennessee. It has fantastic hunting & fishing opportunities (it lacks upland birds) 4 very definite seasons, mountains, rolling hills all the way down to swampland & flats, its half a day's drive to the gulf or Atlantic, the cost of living is incredible (we have some of the lowest fuel & food costs in the country) the school system is apparently pretty good (no kids, not a factor to me) the folk are super friendly & although it has a majority of right- leaning politics, it's also far more centrist than you'd think (or the memes would have you believe!) Red in the country, blue in the cities.
Nashville, Chattanooga & Knoxville are all thriving & Nashvegas in particular is growing at an unbelievable rate right now. Avoid Memphis. Dear God avoid Memphis....
Our state economy is booming & if you can deal with the humidity & bible belt fanaticism (it's definitely something to consider. As a non-rabid atheist who NEVER discusses religion & is totally fine with anything anyone believes, even I find it to be a bit of a stumbling block at times) it's a fantastic state to live.
I always thought i'd love Colorado, but the one visit I took convinced me that it's now becoming a scarily liberal outcropping of what I imagine the most stereotypically liberal bits of California are. I could be way off, but it felt a lot like a ton of Californians moved there to escape Cali, then spent years trying to turn it into the place they left, minus the ocean view.

Last edited:

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent some time in Tennessee and I've told my wife it is definitely the friendliest state. Seems like no matter where you go, gas station to the sandwich shops, people will strike up conversation with you. It's nice. I don't mind people that mind their own business either, so long as they aren't a$$h0les.

robtattoo

WKR
I've spent some time in Tennessee and I've told my wife it is definitely the friendliest state. Seems like no matter where you go, gas station to the sandwich shops, people will strike up conversation with you. It's nice. I don't mind people that mind their own business either, so long as they aren't a$$h0les.

When i first moved here, i was concerned about the stereotypical hatred for 'ferrners' & immigrants, but the truth is that folks are universally welcoming, friendly & open. But i'm also not a damn yankee & apparently that's far worse than being foreign! 🤣

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Quick question, but have you considered any eastern states?
I went through 3 solid years of research before I emigrated here from the UK. I had 48 solid choices, all of which had their own appeal.
I finally settled on Tennessee. It has fantastic hunting & fishing opportunities (it lacks upland birds) 4 very definite seasons, mountains, rolling hills all the way down to swampland & flats, its half a day's drive to the gulf or Atlantic, the cost of living is incredible (we have some of the lowest fuel & food costs in the country) the school system is apparently pretty good (no kids, not a factor to me) the folk are super friendly & although it has a majority of right- leaning politics, it's also far more centrist than you'd think (or the memes would have you believe!) Red in the country, blue in the cities.
Nashville, Chattanooga & Knoxville are all thriving & Nashvegas in particular is growing at an unbelievable rate right now. Avoid Memphis. Dear God avoid Memphis....
Our state economy is booming & if you can deal with the humidity & bible belt fanaticism (it's definitely something to consider. As a non-rabid atheist who NEVER discusses religion & is totally fine with anything anyone believes, even I find it to be a bit of a stumbling block at times) it's a fantastic state to live.
I always thought i'd love Colorado, but the one visit I took convinced me that it's now becoming a scarily liberal outcropping of what I imagine the most stereotypically liberal bits of California are. I could be way off, but it felt a lot like a ton of Californians moved there to escape Cali, then spent years trying to turn it into the place they left, minus the ocean view.

To be honest haven't thought about the eastern much. This is why I floated this thread because I knew I was missing something or not thinking if alts.

So far ill look into Tennessee and Oklahoma. Most of the areas we look into are for the wife's work. But im not afraid to admit it but that women flat out, out earns me.

robtattoo

WKR
To be honest haven't thought about the eastern much. This is why I floated this thread because I knew I was missing something or not thinking if alts.

So far ill look into Tennessee and Oklahoma. Most of the areas we look into are for the wife's work. But im not afraid to admit it but that women flat out, out earns me.

If she's a pharmaceuticalist....MERC are based in Chattanooga 😉

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
When i first moved here, i was concerned about the stereotypical hatred for 'ferrners' & immigrants, but the truth is that folks are universally welcoming, friendly & open. But i'm also not a damn yankee & apparently that's far worse than being foreign! 🤣
I work internationally and it's a very mixed pot of guys from all over the world including "yankees", rednecks and a handful of guys from the UK (among many others). In general I find Americans to be very welcoming and inclusive. We tease about our differences and as long as people don't get butt-hurt it forms healthy camaraderie and friendships.

GPool1842

WKR

Good! Let me know if you have questions on Oklahoma.

Regarding Frito’s post and the heat, it does get hot here in OK, but its really nothing compared to the Texas humidity. It’s mind blowingly different if you are looking at Houston specifically. Unbearable....

Tennessee sounds like a pretty good option too!

EastMT

WKR
Good! Let me know if you have questions on Oklahoma.

Regarding Frito’s post and the heat, it does get hot here in OK, but its really nothing compared to the Texas humidity. It’s mind blowingly different if you are looking at Houston specifically. Unbearable....

Tennessee sounds like a pretty good option too!

We looked at Tennessee at one point as well, one thing we were shocked to find out was the first 2 years of free community college or Tech schools for graduates. Man that’s a good start to debt free education.

GPool1842

WKR
We looked at Tennessee at one point as well, one thing we were shocked to find out was the first 2 years of free community college or Tech schools for graduates. Man that’s a good start to debt free education.

Thats very cool.. Oklahoma does something similar, at least in Tulsa County. I got an Associates degree for free (had to pay for books) before moving on to OSU. Such a good program for sure.