Essential Alaska Gear items

crich

WKR
Moving to Anchorage this Winter and Im evaluating all of my gear. Is there any one item anyone has used on a hunt and thought "Man Im super glad I brought______" and just couldn't live without it?

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
A boat, also some thick gloves for climbing through steep hillsides covered with devils club.
Ive only bear hunted in the spring, in SE AK one time. My input is probably not as relevant as a resident. Good luck. AK is an awesome place. I wish I was moving there.

When I moved up there in the winter is was studded tires on the suv. Miss that place. Wandered why other people didn’t slide through intersections. Otherwise I’m sure you have the basics.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
A boat, also some thick gloves for climbing through steep hillsides covered with devils club.
You're probably the 20th person that has told me to get a boat. Im driving up and am tempted to pick one up before hand but havent had much luck finding a jet motor set up how I like.
Good call on some tough gloves 👍

When I moved up there in the winter is was studded tires on the suv. Miss that place. Wandered why other people didn’t slide through intersections. Otherwise I’m sure you have the basics.
Been thinking about tires as well. I have new duratracs on my F250 but have really been thinking about a second set of snow rated winter tires with studs for the wifes Subaru. Lots of precious cargo rides around in that thing.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Moving to Anchorage this Winter and Im evaluating all of my gear. Is there any one item anyone has used on a hunt and thought "Man Im super glad I brought______" and just couldn't live without it?

An advanced welcome to you! Moving to Alaska is one of the top five best decisions I have made in my life! Your example question is specific to hunting, so I'll focus there for just a bit...

My quick answer is, start saving your money, but wait until you get here before buying anything specifically for hunting. You're coming up in the winter, so you will have time. I'm sure you already know this, but you are moving to a place with a wide-range of hunting opportunities...and a variety of hunting challenges based upon the settings for those different hunts. What I am super glad I brought with me for a late October mountain goat hunt on Kodiak is not the same as an August sheep hunt...even my rain gear is different! Add a wet tundra moose-camp hunt into the line-up, and the gear list expands even further. Again, I'm sure you know all of this already, I'm just encouraging you to wait until you get here. Do some research on the different hunting opportunities, access, and costs when you get here, and then decide on the what/when/how/where you are going to start your Alaska hunting adventures...that will get you focused on specific gear. When you get to that point, start with quality rain-gear (jacket and pants) and (if you're camping in the field) wx-proof shelter suitable for that hunt...and from there the gear list just keeps growing as your enthusiasm for Alaska hunting grows!

Last point, buy durable top-quality gear that's on sale...stay away from cheap stuff. The wx can be absolutely miserable at times, and dependent upon your chosen hunting scenario it is not an exaggeration to say that your life may depend on the gear choices you make...your gear choices for sure will impact your comfort on the hunt. I seek the remote solitude and adventure of Alaska hunting, so my gear choices are very important. I've been on two-week remote moose drop-camp (fly-in) hunts, when the wind was 60-70mph with blowing rain sideways for several days continuously...and I was soooo super glad that I was in a top-quality tent that was specifically built to withstand that kind of wx because no one was coming to get me in that wx! BTW, when it clears after wx like that, the animals really start popping-out because they have been hunkered-down as well and need to move.

Oh...buy the best quality and wx-proof optics that you CAN'T afford. 10x42's work for me.

Be safe and have fun!

Last edited:
OP
crich

crich

WKR
An advanced welcome to you! Moving to Alaska is one of the top five best decisions I have made in my life! Your example question is specific to hunting, so I'll focus there for just a bit...

My quick answer is, start saving your money, but wait until you get here before buying anything specifically for hunting. You're coming up in the winter, so you will have time. I'm sure you already know this, but you are moving to a place with a wide-range of hunting opportunities...and a variety of hunting challenges based upon the settings for those different hunts. What I am super glad I brought with me for a late October mountain goat hunt on Kodiak is not the same as an August sheep hunt...even my rain gear is different! Add a wet tundra moose-camp hunt into the line-up, and the gear list expands even further. Again, I'm sure you know all of this already, I'm just encouraging you to wait until you get here. Do some research on the different hunting opportunities, access, and costs when you get here, and then decide on the what/when/how/where you are going to start your Alaska hunting adventures...that will get you focused on specific gear. When you get to that point, start with quality rain-gear (jacket and pants) and (if you're camping in the field) wx-proof shelter suitable for that hunt...and from there the gear list just keeps growing as your enthusiasm for Alaska hunting grows!

Last point, buy durable top-quality gear that's on sale...stay away from cheap stuff. The wx can be absolutely miserable at times, and dependent upon your chosen hunting scenario it is not an exaggeration to say that your life may depend on the gear choices you make...your gear choices for sure will impact your comfort on the hunt. I seek the remote solitude and adventure of Alaska hunting, so my gear choices are very important. I've been on two-week remote moose drop-camp (fly-in) hunts, when the wind was 60-70mph with blowing rain sideways for several days continuously...and I was soooo super glad that I was in a top-quality tent that was specifically built to withstand that kind of wx because no one was coming to get me in that wx! BTW, when it clears after wx like that, the animals really start popping-out because they have been hunkered-down as well and need to move.

Oh...buy the best quality and wx-proof optics that you CAN'T afford. 10x42's work for me.

Be safe and have fun!
Solid advice I really appreciate it. I'll only be there for 4 years so I need to make the most of it.

Last point, buy durable top-quality gear that's on sale...stay away from cheap stuff. The wx can be absolutely miserable at times, and dependent upon your chosen hunting scenario it is not an exaggeration to say that your life may depend on the gear choices you make...your gear choices for sure will impact your comfort on the hunt. I seek the remote solitude and adventure of Alaska hunting, so my gear choices are very important. I've been on two-week remote moose drop-camp (fly-in) hunts, when the wind was 60-70mph with blowing rain sideways for several days continuously...and I was soooo super glad that I was in a top-quality tent that was specifically built to withstand that kind of wx because no one was coming to get me in that wx!
Sounds like an Arctic Oven moment. :) I'll also add that when you're looking at gear that could potentially keep you alive, don't buy the best gear that you can afford, buy the best gear, period.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like an Arctic Oven moment. :)

That would be a fine choice for sure TB. However, for the record I've been solo using a 2-man Hilleberg Staika for those hunts for the past six years, and as you also know from experience we sure can go through many, many of those wx epsiodes up here over the years.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
That would be a fine choice for sure TB. However, for the record I've been solo using a 2-man Hilleberg Staika for those hunts for the past six years, and as you also know from experience we sure can go through many, many of those wx epsiodes up here over the years.
I've run a SO Cimarron the past few years chasing elk that has held up well during pretty high winds with good ground stakes. Although It has not seen 70mph. Only thing that I have doubts about is that it only has 2 guy out points. I have plans to add more.

Yeah Im active duty AF
Cool. What will you be doing (job), on JBER? I work on JBER as well is why I ask.
I think your Cimarron is a very good choice, and I agree that adding more guy-out's is a really good idea for sure. I've weathered some pretty hellacious storms on Kodiak, in various pyramid and tipi shelters, with good results, and I've found that if your stakes stay put, that style of shelter can withstand some serious wind and rain. Good luck with your move and drive safe (assuming you're driving).

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You're probably the 20th person that has told me to get a boat. Im driving up and am tempted to pick one up before hand but havent had much luck finding a jet motor set up how I like.
Good call on some tough gloves 👍

Been thinking about tires as well. I have new duratracs on my F250 but have really been thinking about a second set of snow rated winter tires with studs for the wifes Subaru. Lots of precious cargo rides around in that thing.

Get top end studded snow tires for both vehicles. I use Nokian tires, but any top end studded tires will work. Anchorage gets enough ice (versus snow) that studs add a good safety margin.

All my boat experience comes from SE AK, so it may not translate to Anchorage. Inboards and inboard/outboards can be expensive to work on, get a boat with an outboard. An ocean boat will get you more places than a river boat, but neither will get you everywhere.

If you don't have an inReach, that can give some peace of mind, though understand that even if you can call for help, rescue may still be days away depending on weather. As my cell phone does not work in Canada, the inReach is nice to have when driving through (either plan your gas stops, or fill up at every opportunity as the next open station may be a couple hundred miles down the road).

Alaska is awesome, congratulations.

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah Im active duty AF

I thought so, which is why I took the time to respond to you this morning...thank you for your service guy. I'm a former Marine.

BTW, these stakes work pretty good in the tundra up here...

OP
crich

crich

WKR
Cool. What will you be doing (job), on JBER? I work on JBER as well is why I ask.
Nice small world. Im a C17 Crew Chief by trade but currently a flightline production superintendent. Going to the 703 AMXS so not sure what spot Ill be put into yet.
The wife will fly with the baby. The dog and I are road tripping it!
Get top end studded snow tires for both vehicles. I
Ill definitely look into it the studded options.
Boat wise whats your ideal setup? Most people have said similar things that if they could do it again theyd have a big boat and a dingy to run the rivers.
I thought so, which is why I took the time to respond to you this morning...thank you for your service guy. I'm a former Marine.

BTW, these stakes work pretty good in the tundra up here...
You as well!
Ive looked at those twisted stakes but never picked any up. Thanks for the tip.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ill definitely look into it the studded options.
Boat wise whats your ideal setup? Most people have said similar things that if they could do it again theyd have a big boat and a dingy to run the rivers.

I'm not the best person for specifics on boats as most of what I know comes from hanging around guides in Ketchikan, which has more protected water than the Kenai and is second hand knowledge. Outboard motors (dual motors with a kicker in the middle would be best, but not needed), aluminum hull, full hard cover cabin, narrow enough beam that it can be towed easily.

Hewescraft and North River are good and reasonably priced, just get one with an open water hull design.

The only two hard and fast suggestions are outboard motors and an open ocean hull design. A fiberglass boat you can afford is better than an aluminum boat you can't.