essential gear for alaska bow hunting out of base camp

Looking for suggestions on what everyone keeps on their person at all times while hunting (gear wise.. what’s in your pockets, on your belt, etc.. and in your day pack). I’m going moose bow hunting in the fall and curious what you guys do/ recommend? We will be on horses and there’s time the packs stay with the horses if we head out on a stalk for a bull. I always keep a headlamp, knife, pair of gloves if I’m not wearing them, binos with range finder and wind indicator on my kuiu Bino harness and a lighter in my pocket. For this area there are grizzlies and black bears so I will keep my ruger Alaska .44 on my hip or chest. What are your set ups/ preferences? Is there anything I am missing and should add?

mooster

WKR
In my pack if on me, Garmin Inreach, then also knife, head lamp, limited 1st aid, fire starter kit, and emergency blanket & bivy. Since your guided most other doesn’t really apply.

Last edited:
Never go anywhere without a camera.

I definitely second the thoughts on carrying a PLB (InReach, or other device) as well as some decent way to start a fire. That can be 3 or 4 small packets of WetFire tinder and the Bic lighter. I've always got a small roll of TP in my pack....enough for one use, or useful for marking a location.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Since it's a guided hunt I would leave the handgun behind, your guide is there for more than just finding you a bull moose, he's also there for your safety.

WMR

FNG
I almost never leave sight of the truck without: Firestarter supplies, knife, flashlight, compass, poncho and a means to purify or filter water. A water container is essential. In warm weather, bug dope always goes along. TP is always a good idea. The poncho, or some way to stay dry is at least as important as the fire. As far as bear protection, discuss it with your guide. He might prefer you carry bear spray rather than risk him getting shot by a careless or excited client. I'm usually DIY and am almost always carrying a firearm. Have fun and post a full report when you return.

Wrench

WKR
Hang your gear away from the horses. If there's a wreck, you wont want your stuff mashed.

I never leave the basic get me through the night stuff when im somewhere a broken ankle could get me killed.....what that get me through the night kit contains depends on location and conditions.