Ethical Dilemma

Personally I have been against crossbows and their introduction into our archery seasons in such a hard and steadfast way for so long that even if I had to give up the bow I would only hunt with a rifle. I just dont find crossbows to be a fair weapon to be used in the archery hunting season. (Other agree but do not say it openly as I)

If they are a legal weapon my suggestion would be to follow your moral compass and do whatever you want. Whatever keeps you in the sport I recon. Hate to see someone give up hunting all together.

Personally, If I had to give up the bow, I would rather pick up the rifle.

I 100% refuse to be a Hypocrite.

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
Ethically speaking, if a modern 40 pound compound at a grown mans draw length with a moderately heavy arrow can’t get the job done; maybe we should just rifle hunt . . .

7fb84deea00dcee9b5db79d9d28c64c7.jpg

Trad guys would s*** bricks for those numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Trad guys” will never get those numbers because they’re not shooting featherweight arrows. 400gr is extremely light for a 40# bow (unless your squirrel hunting)

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
Just so not to sidetrack this thread, I am not for xbows during archery season for those that just prefer hunting with one, but I am all for em if someone has a valid disability exemption.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I have been against crossbows and their introduction into our archery seasons in such a hard and steadfast way for so long that even if I had to give up the bow I would only hunt with a rifle. I just dont find crossbows to be a fair weapon to be used in the archery hunting season. (Other agree but do not say it openly as I)

If they are a legal weapon my suggestion would be to follow your moral compass and do whatever you want. Whatever keeps you in the sport I recon. Hate to see someone give up hunting all together.

Personally, If I had to give up the bow, I would rather pick up the rifle.

I 100% refuse to be a Hypocrite.

I agree with you that in normal circumstances you shouldn’t be able to use a crossbow during regular archery season. However I think if you have a medical reason that keeps you from shooting a bow you should be able to apply for a disabled archers permit and use a cross bow during archery season.

But to each their own I just would hate to see guys abuse that system who are either too out of shape or just want the benefit of using a cross bow because there will always be those types of people who will do that and take advantage of the systems

The dilemma I have seen with xbows are when individuals pick them up to start hunting with when they have only ever used a firearm. They don't understand the difference in the two and the way they kill. Our first year of crossbow season here many went out and purchased a crossbow and shoulder shot the first deer they saw with it. Then they were puzzled how this deer ran off with this bolt mostly hanging out of them. That's where they had always shot one with a firearm and they didn't see a difference. Anyone with a background in archery who decides to use one I don't have a problem with, same can be said of someone who gets one and understands the kind of weapon it is.

Unfortunately there are idiots in every crowd. Some guys will have a rifle bore sighted and hunt with it.

I have never fired a crossbow, don't have any intention to until I can no longer draw a vertical bow.

elkduds

WKR
I had to switch to xbow due to shoulder damage 4 years ago. I wish I could still shoot a recurve: much easier to carry, more fun to practice, a helluva lot cheaper, faster follow up shots. I went w a compound because it is narrower to carry and a little quieter to shoot than recurve. I mostly run and gun, and my 7# xbow is way less pleasant to carry than a rifle, let alone a bow.

CO recently began allowing red dot or 1x scopes for xbows during archery (disability only). Mine still has a peep sight, which will be upgraded to red dot someday. Sighting systems and waiting @ full draw are the main advantages of xbow over compound. The same practical and ethical restraints from archery apply to my shot selection w xbow. It is just as easy to wound and lose an animal w xbow, and there is no follow up shot.

I say give it a try, Sept. only comes once a year.

If you still have one good arm, consider trying a mouth tab. Dwight Shuh was obviously a better tn average bow hunter but he showed its can be an option.

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
I see no ethical dilemma with that. With all of the high tech bows/technologies out there, I fail to see how a crossbow is somehow so advanced as to be unethical. A crossbow and a modern compound are much closer in performance than a modern compound is to a recurve/longbow.

My father-in-law has a bum shoulder, will start using a Raven crossbow this season. Will he magically become super deadly during archery season? I doubt it. But it lets him go out bowhunting legally again. We'll have a good time bowhunting together.

*zap*

WKR
I see no ethical dilemma with that. With all of the high tech bows/technologies out there, I fail to see how a crossbow is somehow so advanced as to be unethical. A crossbow and a modern compound are much closer in performance than a modern compound is to a recurve/longbow.

My father-in-law has a bum shoulder, will start using a Raven crossbow this season. Will he magically become super deadly during archery season? I doubt it. But it lets him go out bowhunting legally again. We'll have a good time bowhunting together.

Some very true words right there.

boom

WKR
i dropped down significantly in bow weight..and MOVED over to the other hand.

that's right - i switched over to a left hand bow. my shoulders are now pain free since the change (it appears i am no longer aggravating my injury). my arrows seem slow, but i hope to plunk one into an elk this season. it's not like i'm shooting a suction cup arrow at an elk :) my bow is slow-pitching the arrows at 249 fps. hahah.

having said that. i shot a new RAVIN bow a neighbor bought for plinking. i swear, it was like shooting a lightning bolt from the thing. the arrow just appeared buried into the target (watching it rainbow gracefully to the target is not an optoin). it put a stupid grin on my face immediately. that RAVIN is like a poachers wet dream. i'm not there, yet. but if i could - yea. i would do it.

boom

WKR

oh..that thing is accurate!! congrats to your FIL. hope he gets one!!

But it cant be in all case that deers are gravely hurt by car collision. some times day can live through it. whats the best thing to do then ?

Last edited:
I am a compound bow hunter. But more importantly an outdoorsman. If the crossbow gets you in the woods. Get it!

Lowg08

WKR
I believe with the health issues it’s a no brainer. Buy it, use it, and enjoy Gods creation. I own a crossbow but it is due to my son could just now pull legal weight and my wife had a bad four wheeler wreck and almost lost her hand. She has no feeling in her hand. So by all means get hunting.

fatlander

WKR
“Trad guys” will never get those numbers because they’re not shooting featherweight arrows. 400gr is extremely light for a 40# bow (unless your squirrel hunting)

A 600 grain arrow shot at 180fps has the basically the same momentum and kinetic energy as a 400 grain arrow shot at 250fps.

Nice try though.

fatlander

WKR

A 600 grain arrow shot at 180fps has the basically the same momentum and kinetic energy as a 400 grain arrow shot at 250fps.

Nice try though.

If a guy can't shoot the bow he loves for physical reasons....
If the crossbow is legal where he hunts....
If he is willing to use the crossbow.....

Use what you like and what is legal. Permission or peer acceptance is not a factor for me in my decisions afield. I follow the law, and I follow my ethics.

I don't believe I could or would ever use a crossbow. Ever. The main reason is because I literally can't enjoy hunting in bow season with a weapon which (to me) is uninspiring, ugly, heavy, super-mechanical and requires no archery skills. Lest anyone think I'm judging others....I am not. I'm only applying it to myself and I basically ignore what others decide for themselves. Your life, your decision....not mine.

And by the way, the suggestion to shoot left-handed is superb and would be exactly my approach. Another interesting point: I know a guy who broke his arm in the summer and couldn't shoot his recurve. He modified a treestand so he could get up. He crafted a bow-to-boot attachment (and a couple minor bow mods) which enabled him to 'hold' the bow with his foot while drawing it with his good arm. He was successful at killing deer until his broken arm mended.

One of my wife's friends loves this saying: "Where there's a will there's a way, and we've got a hell of a lot of will!"

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Buy one and go hunting. The ethical part is you realizing that you need to put down the bow and pick up a crossbow. Enjoy it there's also crossbow tournaments you can get into in the off season. Surprisingly they are actually pretty fun.