Ethical Dilemma

ebubedike

FNG
I've been bowhunting since '81, enjoying every aspect of the sport from compounds to longbows with cedar arrows.
However, after three shoulder surgeries, including a completely torn and retracted rotator cuff that was beyond repair, I reluctantly put down my last bow three years ago. I was never a fan of crossbows, but I really miss those seasons spent watching the natural world from a treestand.
I guess old traditions die hard, but I've been putting a lot of thought into getting a getting a crossbow, and getting back out into the woods.
Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Bl704

WKR
I've been bowhunting since '81, enjoying every aspect of the sport from compounds to longbows with cedar arrows.
However, after three shoulder surgeries, including a completely torn and retracted rotator cuff that was beyond repair, I reluctantly put down my last bow three years ago. I was never a fan of crossbows, but I really miss those seasons spent watching the natural world from a treestand.
I guess old traditions die hard, but I've been putting a lot of thought into getting a getting a crossbow, and getting back out into the woods.
Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Buy it and be done, if it's a legal hunting weapon in your area.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of crossbows during the regular archery season but I am happy to see it appears more younger and older hunters are now in the woods because they can shoot s crossbow. If I were in your situation I would not give up hunting and would get the crossbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Nothing wrong with using an xbow, I would look at Excalibur no cam xbows. I have had an Excalibur exomax since 2006 and it has performed flawlessly, e-z to change string myself, no tuning issues, basically bulletproof. They have a new model that takes down and re assembles for e-z transport. If I was buying another that is what I would get. My exomax is wide and unwieldy to carry.....if you get one be sure of you off hand thumb placement because if it is in the way of the string you will be hurting bad after and the same goes for any body part that is in the way of the string when it fires....a cocked xbow can be very dangerous to handle. No real ethical dilemma as they are very lethal to what is on the receiving end.

*zap*

WKR
I was shooting the xbow at a public range maybe 6 years ago and a fellow around my age really ripped into me for being a cheater.....I knew him from shooting 3d.

Last week guess who was shooting an xbow at that same range? Winds up he has been using one for the last 3 seasons during archery season. He only thought they were unethical until he needed to use one then they just fine.....

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Do it. I have a buddy who hunts with a crossbow because of shoulder issues. He had to show the state (WA) that he had a disability that wouldn't allow him to use a bow, but that just involved a doctor filling out a form. For the style of hunting we do I really don't think it gives a person a huge advantage over a compound bow. If you hunt from a tree stand, or ground blind the advantage increases.
If you find that using a crossbow isn't for you you could always get a bow setup for your off hand. It'd take some getting used to for sure, but totally doable. Learning to use you non dominant eye in the heat of the moment is probably the trickiest part.

fatlander

WKR
I think if you’ve exhausted all options of shooting a vertical bow, there is nothing wrong with shooting an xbow. If you could still shoot a very smooth 40ish# compound, I would go that route. Only you can make that call.

*zap*

WKR
Ethically, a light draw weight may be not as good of an option vs an xbow. Trajectory/penetration issues are an ethical issue, using a legal weapon is not an ethical issue it is a personal choice.

OP
E

ebubedike

FNG
I used to be somewhat of a traditional archer, although I didn't judge others choice of gear, and always saw crossbows as a fine alternative for those who are physically unable to accurately shoot "vertical" bows. Also, in the early 90's, I was a county rep. with the United Bowhunters of N.J., a group that was decidedly anti-crossbow at that time. Fortunately, attitudes change with the passing of time, and we acknowledge that we all need to band together for the greater good of the sport we love.

fatlander

WKR
Ethically, a light draw weight may be not as good of an option vs an xbow. Trajectory/penetration issues are an ethical issue, using a legal weapon is not an ethical issue it is a personal choice.

Ethically speaking, if a modern 40 pound compound at a grown mans draw length with a moderately heavy arrow can’t get the job done; maybe we should just rifle hunt . . .

7fb84deea00dcee9b5db79d9d28c64c7.jpg

Trad guys would s*** bricks for those numbers.

*zap*

WKR
Sure, with a perfect shot and knowing the exact yardage it is fine with 40#. However people do not always make a perfect shot and things can happen fast so yardages may be under/over estimated in which case a flat trajectory is an advantage. Then if you consider that eyesight gets problematic as you age a scope can give a more 'ethical' option in lower light or you can sit in sub zero cold for hours only to have to pass up a legal shot opportunity because you cannot see the pins so well.

fatlander

WKR
30 years ago would we say 250 FPS and a 400 grain wasn’t ethical? Why not just wait for rifle season then?

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I say go for it. Like someone stated above there are disabled archer permits that let you use x-bow during archery for a reason. You’ve put in the time obviously if you’ve been doing it since 1981. Take advantage of the options that are available. You have earned it man get yourself a good crossbow and do what you love!!!

jspradley

WKR
I don't see an ethical question anywhere here.

Get a crossbow if you're no longer able to draw an effective bow. I certainly would in your circumstance.

Yup, xbows kill stuff dead, if not deader than any other archery device.

So long as the xbow is legal where you are then have at it.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

IMO, your situation is the only appropriate time to use a xbow during archery season. Go for it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it makes you feel better, you are going from a scientifically less ethical weapon to a more ethical weapon. key word scientifically. Don't want to get archers all up in arms. (im an archer as well for the record)