Ethical Shots - just because your buddy can does mean you shouldn't say something

Elker

FNG
What is your distance limit you would let a buddy shoot before saying something?
Lets just say your hunting buddy has a big gun and you've seen him hit a gongs out better than 800 yards. You've got a great elk a long poke out there and he wants to take it. Do you have a hard limit before you speak up... regardless of conditions?
Just a question, given I heard of 3 dead elk found this week from 3 different people. All rifle shot, all at least one week dead. Got me thinking with all the new rifles everyone seems to have now on their packs that "can shoot out to 1000 yards no problem". How many elk are hit with a lot less muzzle velocity/energy than they should be for bullet optimal performance.
It's one thing to know your limits... but what is your obligation when a really good friend is pushing his/hers?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems all these elk you speak of were killed, so maybe it’s more that the hunters didn’t do their job well on the tracking. I don’t know the circumstances of the elk you are talking about though.

I also think it is up to my buddy to know his limits and if they feel good about their rest and shot I say send it.

OP
Elker

Elker

FNG
Good point. To be honest I've never had to question a buddy... but lately I've been thinking more about the what if.

I shoot a ton , and to a mile pretty often. It gives me great perspective on what's a 100% shot on game , in different conditions. I try to base my decision on the conditions , wind , shooting position, my adrenaline ect . My longest shot on elk has been just over 350 yards and it felt great to proceed with total confidence based on prior practice and the current conditions.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Great that you posed this question. I won’t take a shot beyond 300 yds with my 7mm rem mag Ruger #1, as I want an instant down and no suffering. Frankly I only hunt with those whom I know hunt ethically and prudently, So should never have to say anything.
Hypothetically to respond to your dilemma, I’d remind the buddy that tracking acwpunded animal god knows how far in steep and deep is a real trip killer that would leave sour taste and regrets.

SWOHTR

WKR
Instead of saying, “hey don’t shoot that far” you could approach it differently.

-How are we going to mark where it was at the shot? How long will it take us to get over there to start looking for blood?
-To be clear: you are committing us to hiking over there after you shoot? What about trying to get closer or waiting for something closer?
-I can’t find the elk, please don’t shoot because I can’t spot for you.
-If you shoot, I’m not walking over there.
-Do you really think this is a good idea?
-How are we going to get it out of there?
Or just have an agreement beforehand. If one wants to take a shot outside the agreement, they understand they can’t count on your help.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It's funny how ethics are always on the LR shot. I just shot a bull that was moving through the trees off-hand at 300 to 400 yards. I was lucky and fired three shots and hit him all three. I would've had MUCH more confidence in an 800 yard shot with time than the shot I had on that bull. Then there are the ETHICS of bowhunters and stick bow hunters. ****, I hate the "ethics' game. Put in the time to become ridiculously proficient with your weapons system and **** what the peanut gallery has to say.

Last edited:
It's funny how ethics are always on the LR shot. I just shot a bull that was moving through the trees basically off-hand at 300 to 400 yards. I was lucky and fired three shots and hit him all three. I would have had MUCH more confidence in an 800 yard shot with time than the shot I had on that bull. Then there is the ETHICS fo Bowhunters and Stickbow hunter. **** I hate the "ethics' game. Put in the time to become ridiculously proficient with your weapons system and **** what the peanut gallery has to say.

THANK YOU!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Seems to me the distance isn’t the issue it’s the lack of checking up I’ve seen a spike get shot 5 times by a 300 weatherby and walk off shooting at a couple hundred yards. I think in situations like the bulls listed above people just don’t realize how well a bull can absorb a bullet and get out of sight they are a very tough animal that don’t wanna die all you can really do is be confident it’s a shot you can make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. You have no idea how far those shots were taken from.
2. Lack of proficiency is the real problem. I'd wager 85% or more hunters these days are Fudds that don't pop more than 20 primers a year. That's your problem crowd. I had an old guy tell me my two 620 yard hits on my buck were luck. Funny thing is that the three bucks in their camp were all terrible hits from under 300 yards. Who really got lucky? The guy that pops 1k-2k primers a year at long range, or the guy who only blows the dust off his rifle to hunt? It's extremely hypocritical to call that ethical.
Distance between the shooter and target isn't the issue. Incompetence is. Don't anyone project your lack of ability on anyone else.
That said, anyone who buys a "long range gun" and immediately takes it hunting without putting in the trigger time to become proficient is a double idiot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Sound like tracking after the shot is the issue not being able to kill those 3 elk. People should know their own limitations and realize that their limitations are theirs not everyone else's.

Beendare

WKR
Another factor possibly, Slob hunters? Some guys like to shoot stuff but aren't keen on packing it out.

We found a dead bull [small]] this yr in archery season that the guys had drove a quad to within 100 yds and then only packed out the backstraps and the rack, what a waste.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I know my limitations and I expect my hunting partners to know theirs. I will not hunt with somebody I don’t trust to make ethical decisions. That being said, I’ve shot animals during archery season that were well within my comfort zone that I did not recover.

OP’s issue comes from a lack of follow up/tracking after the shot as those animals were dead. Plus how can you know they were ling range shots? You can’t. Hell they all could have been shot at under 200 and ran off and the hunters all thought they missed. They still should have done a grid search at last known location.
No way am i going to determine another’s max distance and they sure as hell better not determine mine. I know mine.

Rich M

WKR
What is your distance limit you would let a buddy shoot before saying something?
Lets just say your hunting buddy has a big gun and you've seen him hit a gongs out better than 800 yards. You've got a great elk a long poke out there and he wants to take it. Do you have a hard limit before you speak up... regardless of conditions?
Just a question, given I heard of 3 dead elk found this week from 3 different people. All rifle shot, all at least one week dead. Got me thinking with all the new rifles everyone seems to have now on their packs that "can shoot out to 1000 yards no problem". How many elk are hit with a lot less muzzle velocity/energy than they should be for bullet optimal performance.
It's one thing to know your limits... but what is your obligation when a really good friend is pushing his/hers?

It isn't your place to say anything if your buddy wants to take a long poke and thinks he can do it. A hail mary shot is one thing but if the guy is practicing and gonging at 800, he can hit the elk.

Think of it this way - what about all the elk that get lost during archery? Should we talk to all those folks archery hunting - tell em to only take closer shots or use bigger broadheads? Most guys I know who archery hunt feed the coyotes at least every other or third year, sometimes every year. I don't archery hunt much for that very reason.

As mentioned - plenty of folks can't track a muddy dog across white carpet - they shouldn't be there but they are. Other guys drop $20K on a hunt and $5K on a gun and think they are gonna shoot 500 yards at an elk after 20 rounds of practice. We got all kinds.

I'd say, go enjoy yourself and not worry about other folks.

kiddogy

WKR

to be honest , I avoid hunting with people whom I think make stupid choices. that said …..
I wouldn't say anything. I am not my friends keeper and in my mind ,my own choices are enough to keep me occupied.

if he misses or wounds ,I will however give him a hard time about it. knowing the razzing that will come, usually will help make logical decisions.

Wrench

WKR
Limits are self imposed. I've taken animals into the 4 digits, but had to pass a 10 foot shot. We all have to take into consideration the situation, can I kill it....if I do, can I get him off the mountain? How far is about number 27 on my checklist of what might go wrong.

My buddies never question me when I say it's go time....they jump on the glass and pay attention. I might have better buddies than some.