Ethical ?

WKR
My Kifaru can carry 150 pounds. I can't. Not upset about it that some can. Same here. Let people do what they want.

fatlander

WKR
I think it’s an ethical issue and you cannot regulate ethics. Let your wallet do the regulating; if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Just like ravin crossbows plastering anywhere and everywhere that their crossbow shoots like a rifle. Heck they even call it “your next rifle”. Don’t want to get started on crossbow inclusion.

I think there is always going to be idiots out there that don’t practice and don’t become proficient with their weapons. Any modern compound is capable of putting deadly arrows on target at 100 yards too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking with a coworker the other day about this. I paged through a hunting magazine and every rifle add was for some long range rifle. Shooting 1000yds is not something most shooters should be doing on game and the marketing will put many of those hunters out there thinking they can. Most people don’t put in the work. It’s no different than people thinking they can pick up their bow a week before season opens at fling arrows 80yds at game. People are dumb, a lot of them. It’s why hunters will ultimately be the cause of the end of hunting as we know it.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
The word "ethics" has its place but it is way over used, kind of like "conservation, sustainability", etc. And I agree with Fatlander. It isn't something to regulate. Instead of ethics, in my mind its choice, personal responsibility, and accountability. On a hunt, pretty much everything we do is a choice. Nobody is going to regulate away choice. No, states aren't going to regulate "these weapons that are the downfall of trophy animals." Could you elaborate on how these weapons are leading to the downfall of animals? As has been alluded to already, the bloody pulp that this topic is, was once a dead horse.

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m guilty myself having a capable weapon , do I push it , I guess so , if you think 700 is pushing it, that’s my limit . Everyone has different opinion . I understand it’s a beat up topic , I wasn’t around to catch it prior to this . U can’t tell me that increased pressure and weapons reaching out and poking animals at 1000 + isn’t increasing the vulnerability of bigger animals or just animals period , if u can’t see that idk wat to say. I’m not against the whole long range game just curious to know how everyone else feels about it. Wats everyone think about having a long range permit , sort of like archery, just a thought , not saying it’s the answer

KurtR

WKR
Where does some one say long range starts and how would you get a permit? People from the east think 300 is far and thats just another day hunting speed goats. So the permit thing would not work

tdhanses

WKR
Where does some one say long range starts and how would you get a permit? People from the east think 300 is far and thats just another day hunting speed goats. So the permit thing would not work

Heck for some on here 1000 is like a 300 yard shot for others. I mean Broz is out past a mile if I remember correctly. Heck he’s at 850 with a 22LR.

My Kifaru can carry 150 pounds. I can't. Not upset about it that some can. Same here. Let people do what they want.

I think people ARE gonna do what they want regardless of what "anyone" says or has a differing opinion on, THAT practice is alive, well and growing … There are GW's that will go to unusual lengths to write a violation and/or catch a violator but they are few and far between - Peer pressure "might" work but to what end, who knows ?

Of one thing we can all be sure, the "I'd better go over to see if I hit it" will be a thing of the past for a lot of shooters, I believe it has already begun (or was never practiced in the first place maybe) No matter how it plays out it will affect all of we hunters one way or another

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I wasn't here to see the horse get beat to death either but I already have seen it before.

Far is a relative term. I took my newish fieldcraft out sunday. It was my first time on steel with that gun. I was banging 6" steel plates at 328 yards with my creedmoor like it was shooting 50. 20 out of 20 rounds. Better optics have made shooting farther easier. When you start to stretch to 500 and 700 is where it starts to get humbling at least for me. I am comfortable with that gun at 300 right now no further. A flintch here and a twitch here and a mis-dope of wind and your off target. And FWIW I dont claim to be a long range shooter. I only hope that the people that want to shoot 1000 yards at game go at least once to shoot steel at the range. It becomes painfully obvious to the new long range shooter that its not cake and pies like the youtubers make it out to be. It requires serious discipline and work. Strictly speaking being able to shoot a grand is not something you can buy off a shelf in a box.

With all that being said saying a gun is 1000 yard ready is really saying nothing. If they are guarenteeing 1/2 moa that is only roughly what a 6" circle at 1000. Thats a vital shot.

a corvette Z06 puts out a insane amount of horsepower, Enough to be really stupid and kill yourself and you passenger. I feel like regulating a car manufactor for making too many horses is like regulating a firearms maker from making a 1000 yard gun.

Dont get me started on the electronic auto drop compensating scopes though. Im still very much on the fence there.

Broz

WKR
I will keep this short. Ethics have zero to do with advertising or promotion of any item. Ethics is 100% our own, and held inside each of us. I have seen plenty of screwed up running shots from a 30-06 with a 4X Weaver, and I have seen plenty of great shots with a 30-30 and open sights. Neither of which had one single thing to do with the rifle being used. No different than a compound or recurve bow. Ethics are only related to the shooter, and are his / her's to own.

204guy

WKR
I will simply add that the idea of adding government oversight and a permit to regulate "ethics" in hunting is a really, really, really bad idea. It would be the very definition of slippery slope.

As many have said, ethics lies within you.

Also, isn't nearly every rifle made a thousand yard gun? Some are much better and more suited than others, sure, but nearly all will fling lead that far.

Regarding regulation, the only thing I could foresee happening is us shooting ourselves in the foot. Go on hunting videos - long range, hound hunting, baiting - and look at the hunters calling it unethical.

What do you think a neutral party thinks when they happen upon said videos and read those comments? "Oh man the hunters think its bad, it must be bad!". We need to stop downing on other hunters because they do something different than us. I don't personally bait or hound hunt, but I'm not going to go out and crap all over someone else doing it legally.